BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Which Transfer Hurts You the Most?

Not counting the four players who left UK when John Calipari arrived, there have been a total of 12 players who have transferred from Kentucky in the 11 years that Cal has been here.  For comparison’s sake, in the 11 years before that 21 players had transferred from Kentucky.  So the reality is the attrition rate from transfers has declined under Calipari.  Of course, you have to admit the one and done system has contributed to that because players are here and gone so much quicker now and don’t have chances to transfer.  Nonetheless, there have been 12 under Cal.  So here are my 2 questions:

1. Which of Calipari’s transfers hurts you the worst?
  2. Outside of the Calipari era, who hurts you worst?

Here are my 3 from outside the Calipari era:

Michael Bradley (Villanova)
00-01: 20.8 ppg, 9.8 rpg

Bradley was an absolute beast at Villanova during his one year.  He was stuck beginh Jamal Magloire in the rotation but I’d like to wonder how much better the 2000 and 2001 squads would have been with Bradley as a very capable player in the rotation.

Myron Anthony (TCU)
99-00: 10.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg
00-01: 14.3 ppg, 7.4 rpg

Anthony had issues throughout his time at Kentucky and didn’t seem to have the best relationship with Tubby Smith.  But again, he proved to be a very capable player at TCU and his final 2 years would have been 2000 and 2001, when the team could have used him.  Who is to say he could have ever made it work with Tubby but the talent was absolutely there.

Rod Rhodes (USC)
95-96: 14.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg

The way Rhodes tenure ended at Kentucky is too bad because people will never realize just how good a player he was.  Rhodes was likely on his way to being a Top 10-15 scorer in school history.  He would have been a part of the 1996 title team.  As good as that team was, just imagine another guy like Rhodes, long and athletic, being on that squad.  Yes, his relationship with Pitino was toxic and it was probably best for all for him to leave, but his impact on the program still should not be understated.

And my guy from the Calipari era:

Charles Matthews (Michigan)
17-18: 13.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg
18-19: 12.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg

When it comes to transfers I always think about the teams that missed out on these guys.  Imagine Matthews on the wing with Monk, Fox, and Bam on the ’17 squad.  Matthews might have been the top option on the ’18 teams.  He certainly would have been a dynamic 1-2 punch with Kevin Knox.  And what about ’19?  You could argue that if Matthews would have been on those 3 teams, you would have had the best team in the country in ’17 and ’19 and the ’18 team would have certainly been improved.  Whereas many Calipari transfers have flamed out or been non-factors at their new schools, Matthews was a significant contributor on a Final Four and Sweet 16 teams.  I think he is the most damaging transfer of the Calipari era.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

28 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Which Transfer Hurts You the Most?

1. michaelb
    10:13 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Ellen’s kid leaving hurt the most

• UKNUTZ
      8:02 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

I hated seeing Wilter leave the most. He got his National Title Ring and left. At Gonzaga he was an absolute beast. We really missed his rebounding and three point shot the next year. Doubt we would have been playing in the NIT in 2013 if he had stayed. And we’d probably have number 9 already with 2014-15. Maybe not, but the Dude Dominated at Gonzaga.

2. Catcasey1
    10:15 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

If he stays we don’t get knots so I guess it’s a push

3. Wilfred Smith
    10:19 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Pre – Cal

LeRon Ellis
    Chris Mills

Cal?

It’s hard to say. Matthews? Would he have settled in and been happy with being #4 on the team with Monk, Fox, and Bam?

Same for Juzang – he may blow up at UCLA, but I’d be amazed if he put Boston or Clarke on the bench.

4. Logic_Prevails
    10:21 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Shawn Kemp no doubt

5. BlueByYou
    10:28 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

None! They don’t wanna be here, I am not lamenting the loss!

6. BoogieDMC
    10:35 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Marcus Lee. He doesn’t leave and we probably have #9.

7. JTHinton
    10:36 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

With Dakari, that 2015-16 team could’ve made a final four. I know he wasn’t a transfer but it sure felt like that since he fell off the map

With Charles Matthews, that 2017-18 team would have beat K-State and Loyola to make a final four

• mashburnfan1
      2:42 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

Yea using the transfer total is very misleading as it is hard to transfer when you are here one year then go to NBA even when you are not ready. Technically all the one and dones are transfers, they just transferred to another league, NBA or G or overseas

8. UKLugo
    10:43 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Mathews was the most surprising to me. None of them really hurt my feelings.

9. burk
    11:07 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Easy one The Blur Dwight Anderson

10. webdis
    11:09 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Rhodes transfer was a blessing. He had great talent but he was never a great team player. I watched him play his 3 years at UK and he was a selfish player. I firmly believe if he didn’t transfer then we don’t win the title in 96. We basically traded him for Ron Mercer. When Pitino signed Mercer, it took the last available scholarship so Rhodes had no choice but to transfer.

• rockatao
      12:26 am May 15, 2020 Permalink

Agree totally. Rhodes so wanted to be THE MAN, but he tried too hard to do so and too often came up short. The day his transfer was announced, I told a friend that UK just won the 1996 title.

11. Not Dan Issel
    11:30 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

Pre Cal, and this is ancient history for most of you, Greg Starrick, was on the Issel, Pratt and Casey team as a sophmore, but left during the season for lack of playing time. I believe Phil Argento was the other starting guard that year. Starrick was a HS AA from Illinois. He transferred to Southern Illinois, where he was a star, averaging 22ppg and is a member of the SI hall of fame. The summer after Starrick transferred, Mike Casey broke his leg and missed what would have been his senior season along with Issel and Pratt. Had Starrick stayed, he surely would have been a starter at guard (Terry Mills and Jim Dinwiddie were the starters) and might have provided the extra firepower needed to get UK into the final four. I’ve followed UK basketball since 1960 and Starrick leaving has always been the one I have felt the most angst over. If only he had stayed.

• UKgrad80
      12:27 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

Great analysis NDI I agree was very upset when Starrick left the team.

12. Mr. Cub
    11:32 am May 14, 2020 Permalink

What about the late Marvin Stone. Only because of where he transferred. Had his best college season playing for the Red team.

• bosch8184
      1:18 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

Gee he traded Tubby for Pitino, wonder why developed all of a sudden. Total shock that was.

13. UKgrad80
    12:29 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

I will understand why Marcus Lee left the program, he was set for a big year. I was truly shocked when he announced his transfer as I was that Juzang left. I think JJ will regret that decision in the long run!

• UKgrad80
      12:30 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

I will never it should read. Wish we had an edit button on this site!!!!!

• UKgrad80
      3:23 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

I watched Baker a lot last year he wasn’t that good. Actually he was about the same as he was here. A role player at best.

14. Bruce Dickinson
    12:33 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

Pre Cal: Todd May

15. UKinIN
    12:42 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

This is a pointless exercise. You can’t assume that a transfer that did well at another school would have developed the same if he stayed at UK. If you become a Top Two option at your new school you’re going to get more opportunities than the number four option at UK. That’s why players leave.

16. Aar
    2:55 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

For me, it’s either Lee or Wiltjer. Although, I think we could wind up missing Baker or Juzang even more than those guys.

I don’t rate Rhodes or Matthews because they just did not seem to fit here.

• UKgrad80
      3:25 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

Yes Wiltjer was a big disappointment when he announced had a great future here guess he couldn’t handle the coaches abuse.

17. Looother
    4:18 pm May 14, 2020 Permalink

I saw Rodrick Rhodes play in HS and at UK. It’s unconvincing to say UK missed him after he transferred when we won the NCAA Championship immediately after he left. Rod had issues – the main one being he was uncoachable…