BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do we Retire Jerseys the Right Way?

Since the UK Athletics Hall of Fame was created in 2005, the criteria for having your jersey retired is this: A player or coach must have been gone from the university for 5 years to be included into the Athletics Hall of Fame and then that player or coach must have been gone from the university for 10 years before having their jersey considered for retirement.  A vote by the Hall of Fame committee takes place and a nominee must get 75-percent of the vote to have their jersey retired.

It has now been 13 years since a player saw his jersey retired, Kenny Walker in 2001.  Now, it seems incredibly obvious that the next person who should go into the rafters would be Tony Delk.  Delk certainly had more than enough career, was a 4-year player, a national title winner, all-american, and much more.  And Delk was inducted into the UK Athletics Hall of Fame in September of 2008.  Now, I don’t know if the Hall of Fame doesn’t vote on a potential jersey retirement until 5 years after that induction or just 10 years after that guy leaves the school, but either way Delk has crossed both barriers by a couple years and then some.  Why Delk hasn’t either received the 75-percent necessary for jersey retirement or hasn’t even put up for a vote is beyond me, but nonetheless that is not the point of this post.

I just wonder if the current process for getting into the rafters is right at Kentucky at all.  I would never argue that names should be pulled down.  That would be insensitive and silly, especially considering many of the guys there have passed away now.  But if many of the guys from the 1940’s and 1950’s who have only average stats at best and mostly were just on roster when the team won a title, why does it seem some of the better players in modern times can’t get up there?  Why is there not a system for automatic inclusion in the rafters?

I hate to give North Carolina props for anything, but I think they have a great system for honoring their jersey.  Players must meet certain criteria or they just are not included.  Those criteria are:

-National Player of the Year
-MVP of a National Championship team
-ACC Player of the Year
-Consensus 1st team All-American
-NCAA Tournament MOP
-Member of Gold Medal winning team

There is no discussion.  To win those honors and awards above, you must be an elite player or at least a key player on a title team.  There is no grey area.  There should really be no debate.  Kentucky has never institued any rules until recently, whereas before guys like Layton Rouse, #185 on the career scoring list and never an all-american, have been honored.  And I don’t entirely hate the concept of the rules currently in place.  Except, if a guy like Tony Delk has not been inducted while being eligible for at least 2 years, then clearly the rules are not working properly.

Currently there are 37 players who have honored jerseys at Rupp Arena.  Keep them up there.  Great.  But if we use the UNC standards from here on out, here would be the players who are not there currently who would be until those standards:

-Bob Brannum (Consensus All-American 1944)
-Tom Parker (SEC Player of the Year 1972)
-Tony Delk (Consensus All-American 1996)
-Ron Mercer (Consensus All-American 1997)
-Jeff Sheppard (Final Four MOP 1998)
-Tayshuan Prince (SEC Player of the Year 2001, Gold Medal Winner 2008)
-Keith Bogans (SEC Player of the Year 2003)
-John Wall (Consensus All-American 2010)
-Anthony Davis (National Player of the Year 2012)

I am sure everybody will have squabbles with players who are not in that group right there, but there is no OBVIOUS people missing from that list.  None.  Davis and Wall have clearly been Calipari’s most impactful, best players.  Delk, Prince, and Bogans all have the stats and success to back up there inclusion.  Sheppard and Mercer probably would leave some disputing their inclusion, but a good argument can be made for both.  And Brannum and Parker very few of us could remember or judge.  But the point is there is nobody that slam dunk without a question should be in that list that isn’t.

The last point to make is on GRADUATION.  I don’t want to place people into categories, but usually it is the older generation of UK fans who feel players should play 4 years and graduate to be considered for inclusion.  Let me give you this quick little story for those of you who feel that way.  Did you know that CM Newton pulled down the jersey of Sean Woods in the late 1990’s because Woods had not graduated from Kentucky.  After Woods did graduate in 2000, the jersey was put back up.  But I find that story to be DISGUSTING.  Why Woods didn’t graduate in 1992 I don’t know.  And frankly I don’t care.  Because his jersey was retired for his performance ON THE COURT.  Doesn’t mean that Woods should have been allowed to murder people off the court, but use some freaking common sense.  A player’s behavior off the court should mean something, not his graduation.  Mitch Barnhart commented that he knows of no such rule currently that a player must have graduated to have his jersey retired.  So thank god for that.

So what do you think?  Are you surprised that Tony Delk is not up there and do you think the standards to put a person in the rafters are too subjective and become more objective as I argue?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

67 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do we Retire Jerseys the Right Way?

1. BigBlueBlowUpDoll
    9:10 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Delk needs to be up there.

2. Adam
    9:12 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

All 9 of those players should be up there, eventually.

• Brian the Derpface
      10:26 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Eventually we’ll get around to retiring Brannum’s 1944 jersey. Eventually.

3. Mark J. Burke
    9:18 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

There is absolutely no reason Tony Delk is not up there. Flat out pathetic! I won’t lie, when it was originally mentioned about Wall or Davis being retired, I was not for it…. But, looking back after some time has gone by, I definately want them up there! They did so much for Kentucky while they were here, even if it was only for one year. I would also like to see Patrick Patterson up there.

4. RUPPS_rhetoric
    9:20 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Delk is a no-brainer

5. ATB (Always True Blue)
    9:20 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

No argument about Delk and possibly others. My question to BTI is how many Jersey’s would have never gone up, let’s take the Unforgettables and why they went up in the first place. It wasn’t their talent it was their heart, their commitment, and their loyalty. I don’t think anyone who witnessed that in person ever questioned what that team meant to Kentucky’s program.

Now on this list out of who I remember watching play and actually caring about.

-Bob Brannum (Consensus All-American 1944) – don’t remember
    -Tom Parker (SEC Player of the Year 1972) – Don’t really remember
    -Tony Delk (Consensus All-American 1996) – Should be up there
    -Ron Mercer (Consensus All-American 1997) – Maybe up there
    -Jeff Sheppard (Final Four MOP 1998) – Nope
    -Tayshuan Prince (SEC Player of the Year 2001, Gold Medal Winner 2008) – Included
    -Keith Bogans (SEC Player of the Year 2003) – Included
    -John Wall (Consensus All-American 2010) – Nope
    -Anthony Davis (National Player of the Year 2012) – Included

My 2 cents worth.

• Bryan the Intern
      9:23 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

My response would be this. Why did those “heart” players only come from the 1940’s and 1950’s? Taking the Unforgettables out of the mix, didn’t Cameron Mills play with incredible heart? Don’t think he should be there. Erik Daniel, Ravi Moss, Ramel Bradley. All heart guys, none of them should get this honor. I think jersey retirement should be about actual acomplishments way more than heart.

• ATB (Always True Blue)
      9:51 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I agree, it has to be about something special they did. I really wasn’t getting to heart. The Unforgettables were loved because of their loyalty and their eventual accomplishments. Not because of heart alone. It has to be something super special. What did Wall do that was special? Don’t get me wrong, I love John Wall, I personally believe he is the best PG in the NBA but he didn’t do anything to me that was all that special. Maybe it’s my age, I have seen UK in elite 8’s many times, including a special team that lost one to Dwayne Wade.

• Duuuuuude
      9:59 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

BTI, it was not just about their heart. It was that they did not transfer out of the program when it was at its depths. Modern times remember how bad it was under Billy Gillespie. It was many times worse at that time. Imagine a team made up of players like Hood, Polson, etc and still not having a losing record. That is why they were so fondly remembered. It was not like Mills who was on a team of great players.

• I'm just saying...
      10:09 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I could be wrong but I don’t think The Unforgettables made it past the Elite 8. John Wall was an All-American on the best team in the country. Unfortunately they were upset in the tournament by WV. In my opinion, Wall played with as much heart and has displayed as much loyalty as anyone to ever put on the jersey.

• Saying Is Believing?
      10:45 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I hope you’re just saying and not believing the absurdity of comparing Wall’s loyalty to that of the Unforgettables. While Wall very well may be a comparably loyal person he hasn’t really been tested in the same vein as the Unforgettables. For Wall college was all about privelige. A highly sought after recruit in a one season crash course with the NBA. That’s not to knock Wall. It is, however, to contrast his experience with that of the Unforgettables. Four kids (some Kentucky boys among them) who stayed true to a program even as it crumbled like Rome all around them. Like Wall they benefitted from the players (or player: Mashburn) around them but I just don’t think you can reasonably compare the two Elite 8 runs in any way, shape or form or overlook the improbability and importance of one over the other.

6. Musehobo
    9:26 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

“I hate to give North Carolina props for anything, but I think they have a great system for honoring their jersey. Players must meet certain criteria or they just are not included. Those criteria are:

-National Player of the Year
    -MVP of a National Championship team
    -ACC Player of the Year
    -Consensus 1st team All-American
    -NCAA Tournament MOP
    -Member of Gold Medal winning team”

This is confusing. You need to articulate that they must meet ONE of these. Otherwise it sounds like they must meet all of these.

• Behind Enemy Lines
      10:20 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I didn’t find it confusing at all

• Congratulations!
      11:22 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m glad you didn’t find it confusing but since BTI used the plural “criteria” it would, in fact, seem to be saying that a player must meet all examples given. Thus some will indeed find it confusing and not because they’re being obtuse. Quite the opposite. But again, congratulations on not being confused. I guess.

7. T_F_Licker
    9:30 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

If we went by North Carolina’s system, Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, and Woods wouldn’t be up there. I don’t like it.

• asdf
      10:10 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Even by the standards of the day, the Unforgettables were a special circumstance, and they are mainly honored for service to the program during unusually dire times. if (God forbid) a similar circumstance were to come again, there’s no reason we couldn’t make another exception to honor another group of unforgettables.

8. Adam
    9:41 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Why don’t we have minimum criteria or a 75% vote? It is ridiculous that the committee can’t find any jerseys to retire when we’ve had 7 final fours and three national titles since Kenny Walker last played.

9. GraBeardCat
    9:43 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I think the UNC procedure has merit; however, there should be a means for adding others who make some signficant contributions or have special accomplishments – coaches, annoouncers, etc. The fact that the Hall of Fame Committee has added no one in such a long period of time is ridiculous. Tony should have been there long ago. The Committee seems to have been disbanded or retired! They need to establish guidelines and follow them. It also would be nice if they printed and made available short bios about those individuals whose names are on the wall. For example, Bob Brannum was the first freshman to ever be named consensus All-American.

10. UKfanincincy
    9:46 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I say Delk and yes Jeff Shepard are no brainers. No reason to wait this long, they both deserve it now. If you think Shepard doesnt deserve it, you didnt watch the 1998 NCAA tournament. Without Shepard we dont have that championship. End of story.

11. Coach Jamin
    9:53 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m going to make some fans made right now. Oh well. While I don’t buy into the “must graduate from UK” sentiment, I do believe in order to be honored with a jersey retirement, you do need to play more than one year. I’m sorry, I know Anthony Davis was great and John Wall was outstanding, but to me having your jersey retired at UK is about more than just stats. Stats are important, awards are important, but how did you represent the University of Kentucky while you were here. What else did you do to make yourself great? I just don’t believe one year on the court justifies having a jersey retired.

• Coach Jamin
      9:53 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

*mad (not made)

• Walter Cronkite
      11:20 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

You’re comment doesn’t make me mad, you’re entitled to your opinion, and there are others who feel the same.
      But is there any other school who wouldn’t hang the jersey of the consesus NPOY? Just that alone. Throw in everything else he accomplished, including a National Championship, an Olympic Gold Medal, and leaving in good academic standing (and a person of good character), and I’m just baffled- who on Earh wouldn’t put his jersey up there?
      To top it off, Anthony Davis is likely to be a perennial NBA all-star, and there’s even a reasonable possibility he could be a future hall of famer. As in, the best, most famous, and most successful basketball player in the history of our program. Many programs would have his jersey up already- everyone but Kentucky would have it up within 5-10 years. Why we wouldn’t honor possibly our greatest player ever seems laughable.

12. blue
    9:55 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

wake me up when they retire darius’s jersey

• Jordan
      1:20 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Well then you’ll probably wake up dead

13. Bryan the Irrational
    9:57 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Really?! You find it DISGUSTING?! Seriously?! Are you 8? I don’t even know where to begin but here goes…you really, in your heart of hearts, feel like someone playing for a COLLEGE basketball team under the guise of getting a well-rounded education and reveling in such a community being expected to graduate from that college to receive such an honor disgusting?! Forgetting that the expectation in and of itself is logical, reasonable and well intended how is one DISGUSTED by it? I mean if Woods jersey were pulled down because Newton suddenly discovered he was black it might be worth such a visceral response but in this case you merely have a differing opinion on something so benign as to warrant discussion not “disgust”-ion. I hope one day when they’re older all the writers at KSR decide to create an adult version of the game. It would be so much more interesting. Good grief. Oh, I mean GOOD GRIEF!

• Dustin
      11:50 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Well…THAT was disgusting. Good grief in deed, Charlie Brown.

14. Catlantaman
    10:10 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

It was Farmer, not Woods who had his jersey taken down by Newton. He personally told me the story.

• Catlantaman
      10:13 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Also, Newton made the Woods, Farmer, Pelphrey and Feldhaus promise to get their degrees or their jerseys would come down.

• Imagine That
      10:18 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Well then, perhaps not surprisingly, Richie lied to you. He graduated in 1992 and his jersey was not taken down for academic reasons. It was indeed that of Sean Woods.

• Catlantaman
      10:24 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

It was Newton that told me the story.

15. coacht18
    10:14 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

With all due respect, please capitalize our Creator, ie God, the next time you reference Him. Thank you. I do agree w/Bryan the Irrational but not w/such emotion n vigor. Opinions are just that and a different word should have been used possibly… Adam n Graybeard have good posts… Delk is for sure. Keep on working n getting better… right?! Thanx for your time.

• Dustin
      12:01 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m not sure he was referencing your god….whose name is actually Yahweh, not god or God. And if he was, while using it in a sort of sarcastic way, wouldn’t that be using it in vain? Isn’t that worse than not capitalizing it? I would imagine so…being that “Thou shalt capitalize the generic term you use to identify me, despite knowing my real name” isn’t one of 10 commandments.

16. UKBlue1!
    10:24 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I for one think there should be a period of time after the athlete leaves school to consider them for the rafters. Then you don’t get knee jerk reactions like putting up a bunch of guys for making a run in the tournament unexpectedly or something like that. It also allows for a period of time to evaluate character…aka Richie farmer. Tony Delk and Jeff Shepherd are way over due.

• Bryan the Intern
      11:12 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

There is a period of time. 5 years to enter the UK Athletics Hall of Fame and 10 years before jersey retirement consideration.

• UKBlue1!
      11:33 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

BTI…..there wasn’t this period of time in 1992. They have it because of 1992.

17. Hill
    10:24 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

What about Chris Harrison? Lets put him in the rafters. And his jersey too.

18. GoBigBlue
    10:28 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Definitely should have to graduate. Lets try to increase the integrity of the game by having graduates in the rafters.

• Bryan the Intern
      11:13 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Then we will probably never put another player in the rafters because great players rarely stay long enough to graduate and very few will return to earn their degrees because they will be millionaires.

19. Teeory
    10:32 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Those are the criteria to have a jersey number retired (# never allowed to be used again) at the Dean Dome. There are other criteria for having your jersey up in the rafters at the Dean Dome. The retired jersey’s are in the front. I like the way they do it. Not having Davis up is a joke.

20. Big Blue Coming At You
    10:34 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Graduation should not be a criteria for jersey retirement especially in the current age of players leaving early for the NBA. But they should at least have to leave on good academic standing. Davis was the best player we’ve had since Mashburn, won a national championship and was NPOTY. He should eventually have his jersey retired.

Delk should already be in the rafters. He’s one of the more accomplished players we’ve had.

• Newtonian Law
      10:51 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

At the time when this unofficial Law of Newton was in effect there already was an exception for players that left early to head to the NBA.

21. Winston Churchill
    10:35 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

We can all argue over whe deserves to be up there- I think the point is that something is wrong with our system, and I’m not sure how anyone can disagree. Does anyone know if a selection committee even actually exists anymore?
    Regardless of our disagreements, I don’t think there’s a single person who disagrees Delk should be up there, and he’s two years over the “official” deadlines. It’s wrong.
    Fwiw, I agree there should be a waiting period, but 15 years seems a little crazy to me.

22. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Friggin’ Jurich strikes again!

23. NotFirst
    10:39 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Good post BTI.

24. Big Blue Coming At You
    10:40 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I also think in 2016 the 96 team needs to be honored in some way. It will be the 20 year anniversary of that team. Get them all together and honor them.

25. TN Kat
    10:55 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

The more you know about CM, the more you despise. KSR should do article on the $$ that followed CM, the public misconceptions and lies.

26. The CAT
    11:06 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Don’t really care, this is not something that is “top of mind” for me. Why pick one over the other?

27. catdaddyd
    11:07 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

No to Bogans, he is forgettable.

• Bryan the Intern
      11:15 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

He is 4th on the all-time scoring list. Far from forgettable.

28. TwoScoopsOfHot
    11:10 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Funny how you say Tony Delk not being in the rafters “is not the point of this post.”
    Then close the post with “Are you surprised that Tony Delk is not up there…?”

Also: “I am sure everybody will have squabbles with players who are not in that group right there, but there is no OBVIOUS people missing from that list.” is one the most self-contradictory sentences I’ve seen in a while. How can people have squabbles about people missing from the group, but the group also has no obvious people missing? You’re basically saying: “this list I generated is OBVIOUSly right, why can’t you all just agree to that?”

On to the point: Are there people that perhaps should be in the rafters but are not? Almost certainly so. But, I bet the same argument could be said at UNC, except their excuse would be “what about those “guys we love that never got national recognition?” I personally like our current method, it leaves the decision in the hands of the people who care most about the team, rather than linking it to some outside measurement.

29. David
    11:13 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

well, Brannum transferred to Michigan State after the 46-47 season…so no, he doesn’t get a retired jersey ceremony…

Tony Delk?? YES… even if the criteria is set something akin to what UNC does, the criteria can still be waived in a special circumstance (Sam Bowie and the Unforgettables)…I still think that there can be individual jersey retirements and special recognition for “Title Teams” where you may have overlap; but Tony Delk deserves his jersey swinging from the rafters

30. ukbradstith
    11:16 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

There should be a diference between retiring a number and honoring the jersey. Retiring a number should be very rare.

31. Pistol Pete
    12:02 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

The world has changed and now we have players staying for one year. I don’t begrudge players being able to leave early to make money but to me being honored in the rafters is like a “hall of fame”. You get in based upon a career and not a single feat. However, if that criteria remains few current or future players would have a chance. It is ridiculous that some of the names on your list have not yet been honored.

32. serdi
    12:14 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I am good with all that were listed by the criteria of of Chapel Hill. I was watching film of some games during the time Tom Parker played. He came at the end of the Issel-Pratt-Casey era. He was a helluva player and sometimes early when he was playing with Issel, Pratt, and Steele…he sometimes got lost in the shuffle. I also think that Mike Pratt and All-American and one of the best ever ought to be up there. It is as big a mystery to me why he isn’t up there as much as Delk. And, if you are talking about the heart of a warrior Mike Casey’s jersey should hang from the rafters. Mike Casey was the best of the Issel, Pratt, and Casey trio. If you ask Issel and Pratt, they’d tell you. Coach Rupp would never say who he thought were the best five that ever played for him, but he would say that if he was starting a team the first guy he’d pick would be Casey. To this day, his automobile accident the summer before his senior year that shattered his leg, prevented UK from the 1970 national championship. If you ever saw Casey play, I think you would agree.

33. Abraham Lincoln
    12:14 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I find it ironic that while at UK we have fans who insist upon graduation before jersey hanging, UNC hangs them up for kids that took fake classes, had grades changed without authorization and with forged Professor signatures- if they should even have been admitted to UNC in the first place.

While I don’t agree with those UK fans who believe in graduation first, by God at least at UK we have fans with integrity and a sense of friggin’ shame!

Lincoln out!

34. TeeJay
    12:32 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Would Jodie Meeks be considered? All time single game scorer. Record had stood for years. Maybe one of the best scoring seasons with one of the worst coaches at the helm. He has graduated as well. Was it his fault that he was here during a time in which the coach was inept?

I do like some guidelines and some of the guidelines from UNC are good. However, I would also add that if a player who doesn’t make those guidelines but comes up for nomination could still receive a 75% vote and still be remembered/retired.

35. Former Player
    12:38 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I can tell you that, generally speaking, UK players prior to Pitino’s arrival disparage the retirement of the Unforgettabes’ jerseys. It cheapens the rest. Pitino pushed that deal through with C.M. and ushered in the era of Pitino’s “nothing relevant happened at UK before I arrived.” Farmer and Company may have had big hearts, but where else were they going? A lot of guys stick around that are Kentucky kids who COULD play more some place else but sit the bench out of loyalty to UK.

36. Feed Jake
    1:28 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Richie Farmer in a criminal, his jersey should be taken down and burnt

• Blackhawk
      1:50 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

What they do after they leave UK shouldn’t be held against them. He earned that right to have his jersey retired for what he did on the court….not some 20 years later…..so what happens 20 years later shouldn’t be held against him.

I mean if OJ is still in the Hall of Fame for pro and college…still has his jersey retired at USC and still has his picture up for winning the Heisman…then I think Richie can stay up in the rafters at Rupp.

37. spookykim
    1:28 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

The Unforgettable’s jerseys were put up there without even waiting a year, much less 5 or 10 years, so those guidelines are, obviously, not really taken into account. I thought it was premature to put them up then, & it looks ridiculous now. That being said, the guidelines do need some tweeking. I fully agree that Delk should be up there. Bob Brannum??? If someone hadn’t considered retiring his jersey in 70 years, don’t you think it’s a little late!

• Blackhawk
      2:00 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

The guidelines were adopted in 2005….so that is what they go by now. Don’t disagree with the Unforgettable’s then or now. I don’t think the guidelines need tweaking…you have to be in the UK Hall of Fame which means you wait 5 years…then you have to be gone 10 years before the jersey can be hung. The committee will take into account who is deserving and who isn’t. Delk and Bogans need to be up there along with Tubby. Long over do for Delk.

38. Will HIll
    1:59 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

If you use the criteria UNC uses, Anthony Davis meets all of those standards, in addition to winning Freshman of the year (conference and national) and Defensive Player Of The Year (conference and national). And number 1 draft pick.

I think playing multiple years should be considered, but I don’t think it’s a rule. I think Davis should be in the rafters given all that he accomplished. I don’t think there are other one year players who should, however.

39. crestcat
    2:48 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

We have had too many great players that are not honored. They need to get busy getting caught up, at the rate they move they will be too many of them posthumously.

40. Glenna
    4:54 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Put Tony Delk up there NOW. Also UK should set some sensible guidelines. Otherwise there is too much chance of missing someone worthy or of under or over appreciating someone for unspecified, undefinable ends. There should be criteria which fits today’s athletes and which allows all the basketball players which achieve that criteria to be honored. All, not just those who receives some group’s vote. Who are these voters anyway?

41. bones
    5:22 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Can you tell us more about the HOF Committee? Who is on it? Who chooses the members?

42. UKJonny
    7:02 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I think for cosmetic reasons in conjunction with the new (Rupp Arena) should funding go through at some point this should happen.
    1. A statue of Rupp should be strategically placed where all are greeted by the Baron as they come to a game…say maybe just inside the doors with places left for former coaches in the future could be honored….say next to Rupp. Call it the (Coaches Ring of Honor)
    2.In the concourse area before tickets are taken, should be all along the walls, where all of the players, not in the hall of fame should be.
    3. The All-Americans should be placed in the concourse areas all around the inner walls or (concrete pillars) throughout the concession areas.
    4.Like in CWS…the ring around the upper deck should have the names and numbers for those who did not make the hall of fame or jersey retired just number retired.
    5.Then….from this point you have the retired jersey and number hanging from the rafters.
    6. I also believe that the fans(like in the NBA) should have a say in the selection process if they do, where they can vote online through UK Athletics/KSR/A Sea of Blue…or other. The committee then could make the fan vote part of the evaluation process.
    I haven’t made a list of players I think should be in there but I feel there are some that are being left out….I do agree though that some changes should be made. Anyone want to form a fan committee/criteria?

43. UKha
    9:32 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Jerseys that should be retired:

Delk
    Sheppard
    Prince
    Rondo (no matter what he did at UK, one of the best point guards in the NBA)
    Tubby
    Patterson (great three year player, contributor in 2010, forty minute player during Billy G)
    Wall
    Cousins (2010 is one of the greatest UK teams not to win it all and possibly the greatest not to reach Final Four, Cousins was one of the best along with Wall)
    Davis
    Miller (four year contributor who was the leader of 2012)
    MKG (one of the best defensive players)
    and Harrisons after we win next year (stone cold killers and great young men)