BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: A Little Friday Flashback from 1992

Friday’s should always be a happy time here in UK land, and I can’t think of a better way to get happy today than looking back almost 25 years now to 1992.  We often see the Sean Woods shot or the Laettner shot and that is our lasting memory of that Unforgettables squad.  But a couple years ago I put together a highlight reel from a local TV video vault of all the highlights I could find from that season.  I think for those of us not old enough to remember much from that year, these highlights show you why that team was so loved.  Hell, you could argue whether or not those guys were from the state or not, that team would have been one of the most loved in UK history.  Entertaining, high effort and execution, and overall team-oriented play made that team special.  So hopefully you enjoy these highlights:

Article written by Bryan the Intern

14 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: A Little Friday Flashback from 1992

1. TAXman
    9:18 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

Dang, i didn’t know Eron Harris played on the 1992 team. He still has eligibility?

2. TAXman
    9:19 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

and then it gets changed as soon as i comment, making me look ridiculous, BTI SUCKS!

3. TAXman
    9:23 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

after the past 2 years, i forgot what passing was supposed to look like. this is amazing.

• arlo
      11:07 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

wow. totally agree. the passing really stood out in those highlights. strange how the game has changed since then—i just don’t see any teams passing and playing total team ball like that anymore. maybe it’s because teams are quicker on defense nowadays?

4. buzzard
    9:39 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

Thanks Bryan. That was fun. Basketball is a team sport, and when all 5 guys play together, it’s a joy to watch.

5. UKfan
    10:25 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for the memories BTI

6. NotSatire
    10:29 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

Looked like Woods was a hairs-breadth from decking the Louisville player…

7. Dan Soloe (Han's I am your father) lol
    10:32 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

What a group,loved those guys ! A side question for KSR. On the NFL draft,the talked about a team,Alabama being the first team ever with 2 first round picks for 5 years in a row,which got me to thinking,what is the record for a college team for the same, with 2 players picked in the first round in how many consecutive years,and what is the record most UK has had as same ? I am thinking at this point we can go back the last 3 years with 2 players drafted in the 1st round. Last year Goodwin,Noel, 2012 Davis and Jones and others,no wait,that may be wrong,Knight team was in between Wall,Cousins was’nt it,so that would only make 2 years in a row at this point. ?? My memory is awful, lol thanks though. But if it happens this year,would 3 years in a row be a record for UK,ncaa ?

8. Rob
    10:57 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

What great days to be a Kentucky fan. Honestly, I don’t understand the hatred for Pitino. Growing up west of Bowling Green, we were treated by Kentucky media as part of Missouri. I believed everything east of Bowling Green was Appalachia. Pitino so loved the bluegrass that he decided to come back and live in Louisville. I respect the man (yes, he had sex outside of marriage — there but for the grace of God…) yet he is a pariah. If you were a Kentucky fan then, how can you feel nothing but joy for what he brought to the BBN?

• Megan
      11:52 am May 9, 2014 Permalink

Did you ever fall in love with a girl who ends up dumping you? The heartbreak is bad enough, but worse, she starts dating your brother. She had choices, lots of choices, but for some reason she starts another relationship right under your nose. It’s a jerk thing to do, and it makes you think she has absolutely no respect for your whatsoever.

Of course there was joy, when you were a couple, but how can you overlook the way she treated you?

• El Lechero
      12:18 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

I think Megan sums it up pretty well. Pitino knew exactly what he was doing when he made the choice to coach Louisville. Also I remember an interview Rick did with Dick Vitale right after he came back and he made a bunch of jokes about the city of Lexington. Thats what really made me say OK this guy is a jerk towards UK fans. I dont remember all of the jokes but he was asked about all the nice restaurants in Louisville and he said yeah the best Italian restaurant in Lexington is Outback Steakhouse. No sympathy from me for anything Rick gets from BBN.

9. BlueToTheBone
    12:22 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

Thank you BTI for posting those highlights. One thing that struck me is that after every one of those great offensive plays, there was no celebration…..They were instantly thinking about the next play and where they were supposed to be to create the next opportunity! Seriously, watch that video again and look at each players reaction after their great execution…..it was laser focus and all business……No bullshit “look at me” while my man is beating my ass down the court for a cancelling-out basket. Their basketball intelligence and mental focus and toughness was far more the key to their success than their average athleticism…..They were true overachievers and that is why they are so beloved.

• tyrus
      1:44 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

Nicely stated.

The team basketball I.Q. then was very high which, in part, made up for the lack of raw athleticism. The homegrown talent then had to outwork their opponents and there was zero swag. Nowadays it’s the top ranked HS player picks UK, plays one or two years, then leaves…I’m fine with that. The respect and admiration gained over the years by those who played back then left no doubt what that team would be for ever known as…The Unforgettables.

Good one BTI.

10. 2020
    4:17 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

I hope Richie gave you a rifle. You included EVERY Richie 3 in the whole season, making him look like Pete Maravich, not the 4th leading scoring option (like he was).