Bruiser Flint says goodbye to Indiana as he heads to Kentucky

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images

Bruiser Flint’s addition is all but official for the Kentucky basketball program.

This morning, the Indiana basketball assistant coach said goodbye to the Hoosier fanbase, thanking them for three years of support.

“Hoosier Nation I want to thank you for letting me [be] part of [your] family for 3 [years],” Flint wrote in a Twitter post. “The fans and IU athletics treated me w/great kindness.

“To players and staff my mofos, fam for life. To Archie who put me back in game and brought me to a special place. Love [you]. Go Hoosiers!“

Flint – John Calipari’s longtime friend and former UMass assistant – was heading into his fourth year at Indiana and has more than 30 years of coaching experience. The Philadelphia native spent 20 years as a Division I head coach and won 331 games while leading Drexel (2001-16) and UMass (1996-01). He was was named Colonial Athletic Association Coach of the Year (2002, 2004, 2009 and 2012) and NABC District Coach of the Year (1998, 2007, 2009 and 2012) four times apiece.

Following Kenny Payne’s departure from the program last week, Flint’s potential addition was reported almost immediately. In fact, the Indiana assistant was penciled in as a likely replacement right when the possibility of Payne leaving the program for the New York Knicks was discussed the week prior.

KSR has confirmed with numerous individuals at Kentucky and Indiana that Flint’s official addition is imminent.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

15 Comments for Bruiser Flint says goodbye to Indiana as he heads to Kentucky

1. Kentucky3203
    10:08 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I love Cal and believe that the program is at an all time high. However, I am little concerned that UK Basketball will lose a bit of its luster without Kenny Payne. I can’t help but believe that the reason Banchero committed to Duke is because Kenny Payne left the program. Not sure that Flint will have the same recruiting abilities. UK should have made Kenny an offer that he couldn’t refuse.

• UKinIN
      10:10 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I’ve thought the same but unless Banchero goes public with that news we’ll never know.

• BowdenQB4ever
      5:41 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

You mean bringing in Cal’s retirement aged friend who was basically out of the game until another friend threw him a bone at Indiana doesn’t inspire confidence? This, on the heels of years of watching elite recruits slip away as the staff scrambled to find reclassified 17 year olds and grand transfers to fill out the roster, doesn’t make you think we’re on an upward trajectory? What are you, high or something? The program is in the best shape it’s ever been, we aren’t just an AAU graduate team and our kids aren’t desperate to get out of Lexington as fast as they can.

2. Urincatland
    10:48 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s a huge mistake bringing Flint to UK. Without Kenny Payne being at Kentucky, I would have made the call to Antigua. Hope I’m wrong and wish Flint the best of luck. Go Cats!

3. Good Times
    10:53 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

This hire has the sex appeal of a 2010 beige Camry. It’s serviceable, but not real exciting.

4. PensacolaCat
    11:20 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Which is why Cal is trying to hire a recruiting guy in addition to Flint (Lucas). Just let things play out.

5. CALfacts
    12:00 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

No doubt, should have been Antigua. Some hard times ahead by UK standard, especially big men

• CJKAssassin123
      1:00 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

Antigua didn’t want the job.

6. 4everUKBlue
    12:14 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

Be sure to wash the Hoosier off him before you let him into the state.

• SuperTroy18
      12:24 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

It was pretty gross to see him say that and expect him to put on the blue and white. And by “that”, I mean the “Go H…!” Thing. See? I can’t even write it out. I don’t even like that he made me read that disgusting word.

7. FinnaGoHAM
    12:59 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

Calipari has had both Flint and Antigua as assistants in the past and both were currently coaching in the Big Ten, so neither one needed a job (meaning he wasn’t doing anyone a favor). So the way I see it is Coach Cal knows a whole helluva lot more about basketball than we do; he reportedly plans on letting Flint handle Xs and Os, while Lucas will be more of a recruiter. Cal knows more about what this programs needs than we do.

• VirginiaCat
      3:15 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

I agree that Cal knows more about basketball than we do and that he knows more about his program than us. That’s comparing apples and oranges, though. Cal is getting paid an astronomical sum of money to know than we do. He is not competing against us, he is competing against the likes of Coach K and, in recent years, he has not fared well. Cal is an excellent coach, no doubt, but if the last five years are any indication, the high water mark may have been 2015. He is still the best PR coach in the business, but talk doesn’t get you to Final Fours.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      3:49 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

Neither does buying the best recruiting class in history, having the refs on your side, and the NCAA holding your hand. If Cal would be treated the way K is we’d have 2 more championships by now.

• BowdenQB4ever
      5:25 am August 22, 2020 Permalink

@virginiacat I agree, but at some point the PR spin from cal gets old when we’re all watching the returns diminish. He knows he’s locked in for as long as he wants to be here, and I don’t think he’s worried about winning championships now. He’s bringing in his friends, helping a few families every year, and making millions of dollars. These kids are here for 8 months, not a day longer than they have to be. It doesn’t matter to him if their season ends in mid March or late April.

8. Mulli