Bruce Pearl gets in heated exchange with Alabama strength coach

(Photo: Andy Lyons/Getty Images North America)

(Photo: Andy Lyons/Getty Images North America)

Bruce Pearl has never been a man of grace and dignity, but tonight, he reached new heights.

Following Auburn’s 81-63 loss to Alabama in the SEC Tournament quarterfinal, Pearl got into it with the Alabama strength coach. Pearl was walking across the court and bumped into the opposing coach, and the two got in a heated exchange for several minutes after the event. According to ESPN reporters, Pearl was mad because strength coach Lou DeNeen didn’t do enough to get out of his way.

Check out the exchange:

Here is more footage of the argument:

In his postgame press conference, Pearl said DeNeen was “in his path” and had to “negotiate around him.”

“[DeNeen] was in my path and I had to try to negotiate around him,” Pearl said. “I think he may have clipped me and then he said something to me. And of course I should be able to walk off the floor without somebody standing in front of me and trying to make contact with me. That’s all it was.”

The audacity.

What a sore loser.

On the bright side, he certainly has time for some early preparation for the NCAA Tournament next week!

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

27 Comments for Bruce Pearl gets in heated exchange with Alabama strength coach

1. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    9:38 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Obviously he was standing there on purpose. Because he was standing there! It ain’t like the strength coach moved at all before Pearl got there. Bruce is just a sore losing a s s.

2. Rixter
    10:04 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

The Bama coach ‘tried to clip him’? Dude was standing still, YOU clipped HIM. The only clipping Alabama did was on the floor!!!

3. MadHatter
    10:16 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Because everyone pearl passes should get out of HIS way lol. Two way street bro. Obviously pearl needs to hit the weights. Guy made him look like a pansy.

4. catsarerunnin
    10:19 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Guess Bruce won’t be inviting that dude to his next BBQ.

5. Miller45
    10:57 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Bruce pearl and gracie Allen can go eat ben and jerry’s while watching romcoms at their pity party

6. unbridled
    11:14 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

I’m going to take a different perspective. I think the Alabama coach was trying to provoke pearl and he did just that. As you watch the video, pearl was looking down as he approach desheen. When he looked up at the last second, desheen refused to oblige like a normal human being would and the meat head undoubtedly said something so stupid….only a strength and conditioning coach could come up with. Overall it’s a nonissue but I don’t think the situation is as cut and dry as most are assuming and I think the Bama coach looked like a grade A d-bag.

• drew_123
      11:27 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

You know what they say about assuming. You can’t make an argument you know nothing about. I’m not sure how you can call the Alabama coach a d-bag when he did nothing but stand there.

• unbridled
      11:32 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Dude has a skullet and a soul patch. I stand by my comment. No assumption necessary when certainty is known.

• oruacat2
      11:52 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Contrarian dumbass.

• ukcamel
      12:34 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

It pains me to say it, but I kind of agree with you on this. He doesn’t have to do more than just lean a little bit to let Pearl pass him and instead it seems like he consciously stiffens up. Basically this is the result you’ll get when two pricks meet in the wild.

• Miller45
      12:43 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

bama coach may be a douchebag but no matter it doesn’t change the fact that was a monumental choke and a pitiful temper tantrum

• plumloopy
      1:15 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

I agree. Also, there is a level of respect. You are a strength coach, essentially and operational assistant on your team, whereas Pearl is a head coach. Also, you just won, right? Be the bigger man and let the losing coach retreat to the locker room.

• Cryingtheblues
      3:23 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

I’m with you on this one. But the Drew wanna he has to make a smart ass comment. It’s easy to hide behind that phone or computer when making smart ass comments.

• runningunnin.454
      8:13 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

That’s bs; they guy was just standing there; he didn’t provoke Pearl at all. What, everybody has to jump out of King Bruce’s way? Ever hear of stand your ground?

7. blueblood4life
    11:18 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Pearl got his A$$! Kicked he was a little angry ?

• 4everUKblue
      4:12 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Pearl the next Little Brother coach? He’s a perfect fit.

8. ClutchCargo
    11:53 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

I not so secretly hope Pearl gets canned for good as a result of the FBI investigation and goes back to work for ESPN. He is 1,000% more likeable and respectable as a studio analyst.

• Miller45
      12:39 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

ESPN seriously needs to replace Seth Greenberg with Andy Kennedy….

• 4everUKblue
      4:11 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Seth defended Tripper Allen with passion last night, Allen is dirty as hell.

• unbridled
      7:58 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Did Allen pull his normal behavior that suggests he’s on the spectrum? I refused to watch that game.

9. CatManDo
    6:34 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Pearl shouldn’t mess with Steven Seagal.

10. Jiminy Crickets
    7:37 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

So pearl is walking off court thru a crowd, with his head down and shoulder bumps a guy who is standing in the Same spot for a while, and it’s the other guys fault? Sounds about right for him

• runningunnin.454
      8:18 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Correct, that. And, Pearl was whining about it like a little girl…SEC doesn’t need him. Maybe UL does.

11. cdc_uky
    7:38 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Not sure what went down in this scenario but I really like Pearl. I bet he was salty since they just got whipped.

12. runningunnin.454
    8:10 am March 10, 2018 Permalink

Pearl is a boisterous blow hard; he’s lucky he didn’t swing on that guy.