Keion Brooks speaks up for athletes, supports Rupp Arena name change

By process of elimination, Keion Brooks is the voice and the leader among the players in the Kentucky basketball locker room going into the 2020-21 season. Only a sophomore, Brooks is the one player back from last year’s team with any basketball experience, the one player with any real media experience, he’s a member of the NABC Player Development Coalition, and on Friday he was called on to represent his team on the issue of the social injustices around our country and how things have gotten so bad, athletes can no longer remain quiet.

One day after his classmates across campus boycotted football practice, the 20-year old Brooks took questions from the media about his beliefs and if he and his teammates plan to stage their own protest so their feelings are heard too. It has been discussed behind closed doors, Brooks admitted, but nothing has been decided. “We have some things we are working on.”

Whatever happens in that regard, Brooks wants fans to remember that he and his teammates, and all athletes for that matter, are human beings with morals and beliefs just like anyone else. “I think people have a difficult time separating the athletes from the sports that they play,” he said, “just because I represent Kentucky basketball and go out and play in Rupp Arena, that does not mean I’m not a person that has moral, values and opinions and views of certain things.

“We’re people that have strong views on topics, just like the fans do. I think they just want us to go out there and entertain them for an hour or two and then just shut up, but that’s not going to work. That’s not how this is.”

Hear his full comments below:

The request to change Rupp Arena also came up in the conversation, to which Brooks said, “Being honest, I haven’t educated myself enough on Adolph Rupp, or the whole situation at hand to really give my thoughts on it, but from what I do know, I would like to see a name change, just basically because what his name is and what that’s connected to and what it kind of represents. That’s really all I can say, but I would like to see a name change.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

161 Comments for Keion Brooks speaks up for athletes, supports Rupp Arena name change

1. Good Times
    2:45 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I do believe he is speaking from the heart, and does acknowledge there that are a multitude of opinions, of which his is just one. However, I think it’s important for individuals with high profiles to fully educate themselves on a topic before weighing in and to be able to support their position. Their megaphone is too loud and potentially influential to opine. He does provide the caveat that he has not fully researched it, but unfortunately, that won’t stop some people using his voice as cornerstone to their argument supporting changing the name.

• Good Times
      2:49 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

*to opine before having all the facts. I wanted to update to clarify I fully support anyone voicing their opinion, including Keion, after they have done their due diligence.

• UK-Basketball-Freak
      10:08 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

The cancel culture is in full effect. What’s sad is that people support this crap. I’m tiered at this point….

2. jack8291
    2:56 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

What facts exist that suggest Rupp was a racist ?

3. Perry1987
    2:58 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

This will be an interesting thread……..

• Good Times
      3:00 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

You are almost guaranteed to be correct, but at least we’re 5 comments in and so far it’s been civil and focused on finding pursuing the truth, and not trashing a young man even if his opinion may be premature and in contrast with their own. I hold out hope.

• justaregulardude
      3:18 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Good Times – well said.

• PensacolaCat
      12:15 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Just a matter of time before they remove all comments like the article scolding fans for criticizing the players.

4. Catscats23
    3:20 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Go back to where ever you came from! Rupp needs to stay you need to go!

• Catscats23
      3:21 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Cal can go too if he supports a name change as well.

• 859bornandraised
      3:27 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Catscats23 maybe you need to go back to where you came from, so I guess people can’t voice THEIR opinion. Prove that Rupp wasn’t racist and maybe people can see that he wasn’t, but until then go back to where you come from

• Ukcatlee
      4:54 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Problem is, you need to prove Rupp was a racist, not the other way around. Unbelievable.

• Good Times
      3:30 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

859, I agree with you that people should be allowed to voice their opinion as I have discussed in my comments elsewhere. However, I disagree with you that the onus is to prove he was not a racist. The standing presumption should be an altruistic one and it should be the burden of those advocating change to come forth with a strong case as to why.

• Daddyof3Ballers
      3:33 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Agreed!

4:46 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

As the team veteran he probably felt compelled to say something, but he is tugging on the wrong sweater thread. Rupp built Kentucky basketball and is revered by the fanbase. To default to the position he did while professing ignorance of the facts is so 2020. This is additional history spin that the social justice activists are attempting to achieve. There is no compelling evidence to suggest Rupp was a racist, particularly when judged against the norms of his era.

• UKFaninCO
      4:03 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Innocent until proven guilty!

• tvor03
      4:37 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

4:50 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Bravo tvor !!

• KYCat4EVER
      9:30 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

SPOT IN tvor03! SPOT ON!

I take no issue with anyone expressing their opinion.
      However, when anyone admits they are not well informed on a subject, but are too immature and lacking in self control to “let it be” until they become more informed? That’s persons opinion is based on biases: or as some others have called it… RACISM!

GO BIG BLUE!

7:59 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

859, you cannot prove a negative. That burden is on the person making the accusation. Read up on the rules of debate.

5. wildcatdon
    3:26 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

In one breath he says he doesn’t know enough about it and in the next he says he wants a name change. Bullshit Keion. You don’t know anything about Rupp and you shouldn’t opine what you don’t know about. These players need to shut up.

• T-Town Cat
      3:30 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

The young man certainly has a right to say what he wants, and the fan base has the right to disagree… strongly. For his sake and that of the team, he and any other player that feel this way should go ahead and transfer now. There will be protestors at every game, if fans are allowed he will be booed on his own court, and it will just be an ugly scene that could destroy the program.

• mashman 93
      6:57 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

@T-Town Cat I hope you’re wrong, but I have a feeling you hit the nail on the head. The name of that particular building is sacred to most of this fan base and if you change it fans will still come but they will come to vent I’m afraid. This worries me. Folks don’t be mean or nasty to Keon it’s his opinion and he’s sharing.

• GACAT
      8:01 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Wildcat don well said.

6. Good Times
    3:26 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

And there it goes…

Look, I personally disagree with changing the name of the arena, but this nasty vitrol just because someone has a different opinion than you has to end from both sides. I know it’s a quote falsely attributed to Ghandi, but it’s still a good one. “Be the change you want to see in the world.”

• 859bornandraised
      3:45 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Well said good times, that’s your opinion and you have the right to your opinion

7. Cats79
    3:28 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I wish the hell the media would keep there mouth shut about the hot topics and number two Keion shouldn’t have say anything aboutname change until getting the facts. I really don’t think his opinion will go well with our fan base.

8. riandri
    3:33 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

With all the issues in the world today let’s not forget… Keion, you, Coach Cal and Lebron play a sport. Sorry, basketball, football, baseball and the other sports bring NOTHING to the world except entertainment. I am ok with you expressing your feelings, as you do have a platform that is much larger than mine. However, I have a job that actually brings something to the world other that a basketball game to watch. I hope and pray all lives learn to love, but as for my voice (my little platform), and although I have been a huge UK fan for my entire 50+ years, I have come to realize in 2020 that all you and the others do is play a sport. So, my voice is to never spend another dime on professional sports, as well as college sports. No more UK shirts for me, as 2020 has shown me there are much more important things in life.

• 859bornandraised
      3:47 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

So I guess you better than them…I thought we were all human

• kykid16
      4:51 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never understood why Coach Rupp had to be judged on his racism thoughts vs his coaching abilities? Why was he singled out to change the world, he was just a coach in a different time! He should only be judged by what he accomplished as a coach!

• wild horses
      1:31 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

859… I didn’t get that at all from what riandri said. He just said, from his point of view his money and time is spent better elsewhere because of how whacked out 2020 has been.

9. Daddyof3Ballers
    3:38 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Show me proof Rupp was a racist and I’ll sign up it needs to be changed. BTW, proof isn’t a 23 yr old African American Studies major screaming in a bullhorn bc they saw a movie that made them think Rupp was racist. This goes along with tearing down statues and renaming buildings. Just bc your white doesn’t make u a racist…come on ppl!

• 859bornandraised
      3:49 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Show me that he wasn’t a racist

• UKFaninCO
      4:06 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, doesn’t work that way….just because you say doesn’t make it true.

• Good Times
      3:56 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

859, if that’s our starting point, we are all racists, including you, until you can provide documented evidence that you are not. Shall we commence with the smear campaign until you’re able to successfully refute those claims that satisfy the majority of the population, or does that predetermined brand of justice only apply to those that you wish to tear down in support of your narrative?

• bcp99
      3:57 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Everyone needs to chill their sh*t! When a 20 year old has a microphone in his face and asked a question that is intended to cause a damn controversy, let alone during the these times when a young African American male has so many things being out in their shoulders and somehow they are supposed to answer ever media question, and that answer is supposed to always align with your current thoughts. That’s just being ignorant, and that does not represent the thoughts of all other lifelong fans!

So don’t ever act like you are perfect and have always been so, let alone at the age of 20. He is being pulled in so many direction and you don’t have the right to ever judge a free thinking young man let alone one of our own! We all bleed blue and love UK, and that’s what we all have in common, and that’s where we all come together, from all different backgrounds, and for once we can unite bc of our love for those young men who out that jersey on!

Don’t ever tell these young men that they cannot have a voice or have their own opinions. It might be different then others but that’s what makes not only the BBN but America the greatest tradition ever!

• bcp99
      4:05 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Rupp will always be on the building! That will never change….so stop bashing a young man for answering a question he wasn’t prepared to answer…..these guys don’t have every interview question and answer given to them beforehand like Biden does….so if you’re angry, you need to chill out bc you are only making yourself sound ignorant. America is great bc everyone single mind has the right to think, feel and say what they want. Just as some of our ass clown fans, that still have the right to say all the IGNORANT shit they want to

• 859bornandraised
      4:08 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Good times you can call me what you want, just because I said prove he’s not makes me a racist… hmmm..

10. stringmusic78
    3:44 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Change the name!

To the “fans” who are bashing this kid and coming to the defense of Rupp…. It’s time to stand up to your daddy and bigot family and take that Rupp memorabilia down!

• 859bornandraised
      3:48 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Well said string music they just dnt get it

• Good Times
      3:49 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

You are as much as part of the problem as those bashing the kid. You’re throwing out a divisive rhetoric without any concern or regard to the facts or other people’s opinions.

5:12 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Another noodle-armed millennial weenie spouting leftest BS. Put on your little BLM costume and sit in the road. Maybe you’ll get hit.

• Ukcatlee
      5:36 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Somebody needs to get your mom to take away your mobile devices

11. NYCWildcat
    3:48 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I am more concerned that our players feel listened to and welcomed at UK than whether a name stays on the side of a building. Rupp was one of the greatest basketball minds of all-time, and his name being on or off the arena won’t change that. UK basketball owes a huge debt to
    Rupp for building this program into the greatest of all-time, but we need to make our players the priority and listen to what they have to say.

• Good Times
      3:53 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

The feelings of the current and future players do matter. But so do the feelings or former players and fans. And those feelings are all over the spectrum, which is why decisions shouldn’t be based on feelings, but truth.

• NYCWildcat
      4:24 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

After reading the Dick Gabriel article, it certainly seems unfair for Rupp to be broadly painted to be a symbol of racism. Unfortunately, the Texas Western game is used to categorize him as such because of the historic nature of that game.

• ukcamel
      8:34 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I agree that players should be welcomed, but that doesn’t extend to them deciding who the university honors with the names on the buildings. That should be decided by trustees, alumni, etc. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a kid is tell them “no.” If that means he doesn’t want to play for Kentucky, that is fine with me and in most cases I’d say bullet dodged.

12. shepdog3720
    3:52 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Dick Gabriel penned this article several weeks back, which includes facts and opinion, but in my opinion, it was well done. Mr. Gabriel did much of the legwork for the UK fan. Worth a quick read.

13. ChetSteadmansSalisburySteak
    3:52 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

States he has not educated himself on Rupp; but still insists on name change. Welcome to the ‘cancel culture’, Kentucky. More and more appeasement and less and less education. If it wasn’t already clear as day that college kids are no longer being educated but indoctrinated, it should be now. Sports of any kind are playing a lesser role in my life by the day, and I am A-Okay with that.

14. MakeBasketballStartAgain
    3:59 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Wait till no charges in Breonna Taylor case

5:44 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

There shouldn’t be any charges. Innocent.

5:55 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

But wait until a Trump and Mitch are re-elected …….

• AcceptanceNow
      6:47 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Here’s a good one: Wait until Kamila takes over / becomes President. Hopefully then we’ll have clear, concise direction from those in leadership positions. Then, hopefully then, we can begin to move forwards as one nation.

• PensacolaCat
      9:25 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Kamila lol. Good one.

15. Eddiemcwildcat
    4:01 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Typical Lib logic…guilty until proven innocent.

• Good Times
      4:06 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m an independent and I can tell you liberals do not monopolize the ignorance of speaking without facts and propaganda.

16. Jambluehue99
    4:05 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Politics is ruining sports. Regardless if an athlete is sincere or if they are educated on a topic or not, no one follows a team to get their take on politics. The two worlds have unnecessarily collided and we all lose, including the athlete.

17. UKgrad80
    4:05 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Brooks needs to do his homework on Rupp and not believe just the hearsay!

18. lexslamman
    4:10 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Well, colllege basketball was fun while it lasted; but I think I’ll go find a diversion where political propaganda isn’t being forced down my throat.

19. Skywalker
    4:13 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

BBN Arena!!!!!

20. 859bornandraised
    4:14 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Why dnt y’all prove rupp wasn’t racist and educate the people who feel otherwise. Until then you can’t bash another person for having and opinion.

• Melvit
      4:30 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

He integrated the HS team he was coaching before coming to UK, wanted to integrate UK but couldn’t and actually received death threats from other school’s fans for this, tried to recruit black players in the 60s, but none wanted to come here due to having to play in the deep south, former players and assistant coaches have all said he wasn’t racist, and no proof that he was racist. There you go.

• UKgrad80
      6:11 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

There has been plenty of material showing he was not racist maybe you should take some time and read it. Were you even alive when he coached? I was and I know the story!

• runningunnin.454
      1:25 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

There is no presumption of guilt is this country, 859; innocence does not have to be proven. Where are you from…Myanmar, China, North Korea, Turkey?

21. Tango98
    4:19 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

How about Cancel Culture Court at Woke Arena….

• PensacolaCat
      9:26 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

lol

22. stringmusic78
    4:24 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

To the fans up in arms over this, Maybe you can get Trump involved…. assuming he is done battling with tire companies, graffiti artists, infectious disease experts, respected military leaders and any other person who disagrees with him. This is right up his ally!

• Ukcatlee
      5:02 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

You are an idiot

5:14 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Moron.

• AcceptanceNow
      6:53 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Now THAT’s some string music. For sure, get any of the Trumps involved in this one. HOWEVER, the ultimate caveat: They’ll require name changing rights to the court. Any suggestions? Make America Win At Basketball By Shooting The Round Thing Through The Cylindrical Thing More Times Than The Chinese Do And More Than The Rapist Mexicans Do So We Can Win Again Court.

Now there’s a hat for you! And the acronym–lord all mighty the acronym!!
      MAWABBSTRTTTCTMTTTCDAMTTRMDSWCWAC

• PensacolaCat
      9:26 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Stupid post

23. jaws2
    4:25 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Why is it that in the last 30 years or so America has become a nation where you have to prove your innocence rather than be proven guilty? How has a basic premise of law been hijacked? The nation has been torn apart by the uneducated masses and the too lazy to inform themselves by doing their own investigating. Just because you can watch a movie, read unsubstantiated internet blather, and get information from ‘social media’, doesn’t make anything true. Laziness, social media and the 24hr news cycle is destroying the nation right before our eyes. Let’s use Brooks’s comments as an example. What thought process goes into making a statement that he’s not educated enough to understand, but still thinks the name should be changed? I’d suggest not too much. And please, don’t give me the ‘he’s just a kid’ excuse. If you’re going to go out on this limb that requires much deeper thought and not expect a backlash when you’ve admitted your uneducated on the subject, then you’re asking for it. I like Keion, but these players need to expect backlash if they’re not going to bother educating themselves on a subject this sensitive. Erasing our nations history on a whim just because you think it should be, is a very dangerous road to head down. Unfortunately that appears to be where we are.

Oh, and just for thought. Why is it that the loudest people on these threads lately, who profess constantly that we should have opinions heard, are the same ones that tell people to get off the site when they disagree with them? I’d suggest it’s today’s social media culture that believes you should be ‘cancelled’ if you have a differing opinion.
    Again, we’re fast becoming a nation that’s too lazy to get all the facts on any issue before spewing whatever vitriol comes to mind. This cannot be good for our nation. I pray this is just a faze we’ll grow out of, but I’m afraid we’ve past the point of no return. Sad, very sad.

• AcceptanceNow
      7:00 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

We may have found common ground here. Maybe. Think about it, we’re all basically saying the same thing: Innocent until proven guilty. To that end, black men (and all living beings for that matter) should no longer be shot by Police Officers when they themselves are not shooting at those officers. Applying this logic, they’re innocent (of shooting at a Police Officer) but the Police are prematurely judging them to be guilty and unlawfully taking matters into their own hands.

• PensacolaCat
      9:28 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Acceptance, you just don’t get it. Maybe your mom can explain it to you in smaller words.

24. GrannyShot
    4:45 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Count me as one who does not see Rupp as racist. I have read and heard just about everything Rupp said in his own words. These have been sifted through over many years. The Baron talked to the media and everyone else incessantly and swore like a sailor constantly. There is nothing he said that has not been thoroughly examined. Yet the very few instances where he reportedly uttered a racial slur have been challenged by others who were there or knew him well. If he was such a racist the trail would be thick and clear. Yet there is much evidence of quite the opposite.

• stringmusic78
      5:02 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

That is amazing how you were able to hear all of his words. How did you do that? Do you have a time machine?

How about Rupps assistant Lancaster? He gives a different story than you. Let me guess, he wasn’t actually there but you were.

• runningunnin.454
      12:23 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

String78; why be deliberately obtuse? He said he had READ and heard; besides, some of us don’t need a time machine…we were there. Question, what is worse; using a word that at one time was common in our country, OR refusing to allow black players to compete? Rupp routinely played teams with black players, and gave them the opportunity to compete when most teams across the South would not.
      Guess you don’t know the story of Solly Walker, first African-American to play for St. John’s; Rupp gave him the opportunity to play against UK in Lexington in 1951, years before other schools in the South would allow that.
      Guess you probably also don’t know that Harry Lancaster finagled his way to becoming AD, and became Rupp’s superior, and there was some friction there; maybe you need a time machine.

25. original slappy
    4:51 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Give em an inch and they will undoubtedly take a mile.

• stringmusic78
      4:58 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

We found the father of Kyle Rittenhouse!

• Ukcatlee
      5:03 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Were you born this stupid?

5:56 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

String is a troll just looking for reactions…… ignore her.

26. kjd
    4:57 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Brooks is admittedly uninformed yet offered an opinion anyway. Bad move.

27. T-Town Cat
    5:06 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if Kenny Payne was still here that he would have advised Keion on how to answer “trap” questions like this. If he had just stopped at “I haven’t educated myself enough on Adolph Rupp and the situation to give you my thoughts”, he would still have been open and honest, and I don’t think either side would be upset with that statement.

• CJKAssassin123
      1:51 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Or maybe secretly this issue had a little to do with Kenny Payne taking the job with the Knicks?

12:21 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

T%Town, you are 100% correct IMO.

12:22 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

CJ, if Payne had a problem with the Rupp Arena name, I don’t know why he would come to UK.

28. King hodon
    5:10 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Kieon doesn’t know about the subject. Question was a gotcha question. Whoever asked is just stirring the pot Shameful as several comments here. Likely someone from KSR

29. JT55
    5:56 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Not gonna happen. Sorry SJW’s

30. Big Sexy
    6:22 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Coach Cal, if you are certain Rupp was a racist then get behind it. If not, then shut this $#!+ down. It’s as simple as that.

31. rascatch
    6:45 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Every person on this site when did you stop beating your spouse? Now show us the proof. Guilty before proven innocent pleaseeeee!

• AcceptanceNow
      7:02 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

7:06 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

God I hate sociology majors.

• AcceptanceNow
      7:15 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Yeah. Understanding the development, structure, and functioning of human society is a real drag. Almost enough to make you want to…unplug, watch sports and forget it all?? LOL

• MakeBasketballStartAgain
      8:20 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

>should no longer be shot by Police Officers when they themselves are not shooting at those officers

You could go to school for one million years and you still would have the critically thinking ability of a dog.

32. BowdenQB4ever
    7:16 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

If they didn’t want to play in rupp arena they could have gone somewhere else. They want to benefit from the program he built but he gets no respect.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:26 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Bingo! If you don’t like the name Rupp Arena go play for dook or KU or whoever, if it bothered you, you should’ve gone to another program.

• lecantrell
      8:42 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Agree. This kid wasn’t even born when Rupp was coaching. He doesn’t know squat about Rupp, not to mention he is not from KY. He, like so many other athletes needs to keep their mouths shut and focus on what they are getting paid to do! Yes a free college ride may be considered income. Who ever the “reporter” was that asked the kid this question needs a boot in their backside.

• BowdenQB4ever
      12:17 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

@lecantrell you actually touched on another important issue. When will racial justice reach Kentucky’s basketball team? Our admissions department is dedicated into seeing that our student body’s diversity represents our population’s diversity, so that no race is underrepresented. Symphonies and orchestras are doing away with blind auditions because they disproportionately favor white musicians. Why does 90% of our state’s population grow up knowing they’ve got next to no chance of playing for our state’s basketball team? Black people make up 8.5% of our population yet account for 90+% of all scholarships Cal has offered. Best case, all the young white boys in the state are competing for 1 scholarship/year under Calipari, and more often than not he’d rather burn the scholarship than sign them. The discrimination needs to end.

33. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    7:56 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Ya know, I haven’t really read up on how to do surgery. I’ve never done one before, but I think I might try it!

34. ukwildcat1991
    7:56 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

didnt rupp say he would have black players on his teams a whole lot earlier if the sec would have allowed it? whats so racist there?

35. dan1965
    8:00 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Sure the liberal left mods won’t let this post go through as they always sensor my post ! Can’t stand others opinions that strongly disagree with their,and they can’t argue against.
    Keion,as state says he hadn’t researched it,then in the next sentence says to change the name. How about researching it,the make an informed decision,is that not what you do in class when answering questions ? Is that not what you do when dealing with other life issues ?
    859bornandraised …..how about what if I said you were a rapist, how about you proving your not ? Hey the burdens on you kid,prove it,that your not ! Don’t like it if it were you do you ?
    And BTW, I want the players to see what I say ! I’m not racist,hated the KKK, now that,they were racist ! But so is BLM ! So is Al Sharpton and many others that are just stirring this crap up,it benefits them financially !
    This country just elected a 2 term black President, pays millions of dollars to black athletes,to PLAY A GAME ! 40 years ago this nation was racist,very much so,but STOP trying to make it seem like every white person is racist just because they don’t agree with you,or believe ALL LIVES MATTER,including good cops !
    I don’t know if any of the cops were racist that shot a black man,but I don’t know if any were racist that shot a white man either ! And for the last 3 years at least more white men have been killed,than black ! And don’t give me the population ratio BS !
    And how many black people fought the officer,failed to obey a lawful command,stop,freeze,put your hand where I can see them,don’t reach for that,etc…, and got shot because of it ! But you never hear about that !
    How about the black player,Harrell I think is was calling a white nba player a White Ass bitch ! Or about the black man that shot and killed the little white boy !
    But no,those things are never mentioned ,it doesn’t fit their narrative here,or in the left wing media !

36. runningunnin.454
    8:02 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Keion is entitled to his opinion; but he’s right about further research; this might be a good start,

• Mtn14Grunt
      9:39 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Coach Cal did a major disservice to this young man by letting him speak out for the team when he hadn’t collected all the information. That’s the message we want to send? “It’s ok to act when you don’t have all the info, because you’re making a statement.” How about Keon sits down with Rupp’s family to learn the truth about the man before he decides to support an idea degrading one of the few SEC coaches who wanted to end segregation. Bravo higher education system

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

You’re right, Mtn; Cal should have seen this coming; he had been asked about it recently. He allowed Keion to be in an untenable position; he should have known the media, who thrive on strife and have an agenda to promote it, would ask such a question.
      Now Cal is going to have a zoom call with current and former players to discuss Coach Rupp and this controversy. Maybe should have had this before; and I hope by former players he doesn’t mean his former players; going to have to go to guys like Riley, Dampier, Conley, Issel, and Pratt.

• Mtn14Grunt
      10:51 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

I agree. When this first came about this probably should’ve been his first action.

37. 44stewart
    8:11 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Said the n word on a consistent basis. Join no further than his assistant coach Harry Lancaster.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:23 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Were you there?

• runningunnin.454
      1:38 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

44, you can’t hold someone that was born in 1901 to today’s standards; besides you can’t listen to rap without hearing that word ad nauseam. Oh, right; doesn’t mean the same in that context…I forgot.
      Actions speak louder than words; don’t guess you read the article I linked just above about how Rupp helped a young African-American secure a scholarship in 1950 even though he couldn’t sign him due to Jim Crowe laws in the South.
      Or, Rupp not dodging integrated teams in the North and East like many other teams; he gave them the opportunity to compete.

38. 4everUKBlue
    8:24 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

I like Keion but anyone who supports this is dead to me.

39. sharpshooter81
    9:58 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

The name on the building isn’t going to be changed no matter if this African American group, the players or even Cal wants it. The university doesn’t own the building and the Rupp name stands for greatness at UK and it will stay Rupp Arena forever.

12:28 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Hope you are right. But in 2020 anything’s possible.

40. Blowingbluesmoke
    10:50 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

These kids that come to uk have no knowledge of the history of the program. They dont care about the program they want the 1 yr then go make money cause uk puts you in the pros. If you dont like the name go somewhere else if your that good you shouldn’t worry about getting drafted dont wear blue and white to boost your name. Do your homework like your suppossed to do in the classroom

41. Rick_S
    11:09 pm August 28, 2020 Permalink

Keon…..prove Rupp was racist or shut up…he brought in the 1st black player to UK….coach Kryghhski is a racist… do some research on UNC and Duke…that black tar heal needs to go.its offensive

• runningunnin.454
      12:59 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Rick, don’t tell him to shut up; he was just caught off-guard by a loaded question. He is just not as skilled as Cal who faced the same question days ago. Keion doesn’t dance; he doesn’t know the Potomac two-step.

42. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:02 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Well UKFacBoi, you got your wish. Drew shut down the comments on the “They can see you” article. Take a bow I guess.

• runningunnin.454
      1:42 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Yep, deleted 100% of the comments; wonder how long the comments in this thread will stand? If they’re going to publish lightning rod articles, they shouldn’t be surprised when they see opinions that they don’t like. Must be nice to have a magic wand that makes all the ugly things in the world disappear.

12:20 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m surprised they’re still here. I don’t think I saw anything there that was any worse than here, although some in both threads was/is over the line.

43. TonyMontana
    12:09 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Rupp may not have been a racist, but good lord, many of his defenders sure are. These comments make me feel like it’s a miracle we can recruit any players at all. No wonder these dudes are picking other schools lately. What is wrong with yall? Have you no decency? Can you state your opinion without disrespecting our player? That’s our guy, he’s on our team, we support him. You disagree with him? OK, that’s fine, it happens but we dont have to resort to behaving like some of you.

44. T-Town Cat
    12:11 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

It’s getting worse. Read Jerry Tipton’s article where he quotes Brooks saying that because he’s a Black male he feels like he is being hunted and that there might be an officer waiting to make an example of him because he plays at UK.

45. TonyMontana
    12:13 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Is Rupp racist?
    I’m not really sure, not much proof either way.
    What about Kentucky fans? Are they racist?
    Just read an article about Rupp on KSR. That should tell you.
    Yea I’m gonna drop them from my list. Those fans are so disrespectful.

• Mtn14Grunt
      12:19 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

If you think there is not any proof that Rupp wasn’t racist then you aren’t a very good researcher lol

46. TheBigjMan55
    1:47 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

47. CJKAssassin123
    1:52 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Shoot Donald Trump!!!

• CJKAssassin123
      1:53 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Just kidding!!!

• CJKAssassin123
      1:53 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Just kidding

• Batsell
      11:16 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Wow! How can you be that stupid!

• dwhite
      2:52 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Wow!

• Not Dan Issel
      9:11 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

You do realize you just committed a Federal Felony offense, don’t you? Or maybe not. Regardless your soon to be visit from the Secret Service and FBI.

10:05 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

NDI, yeah, I think he realized that after posting, hence a 2nd “JK!”

• PensacolaCat
      10:07 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Talk about sticking your foot in your mouth.

48. CatManDo
    6:41 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

I hope the players base their opinions on actions and not words from Rupp. Don’t get outraged because he may have used the N-word and then get in your car and turn on a song that says it 30 times. As some have mentioned, I hope they do some research before they form an opinion but unfortunately public perception is likely to be what most will side with.
    Go Cats,

12:08 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the bigger lesson is it is not wise to say “I have no idea what the facts are but here’s my opinion not based on any facts whatsoever. I have no idea how to do surgery but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.”
      “Hospital CEO Resigns After Playing Doctor”

12:10 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Reply fail. That was meant for RG below, especially considering he’s an actual surgeon.

• runningunnin.454
      12:39 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, Chris…there will be blood; sure you want to do that?

1:27 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Lol

49. bbn606
    7:57 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Tell me again who Keion Brooks is?

50. happycat44
    8:17 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Maybe Keion needs to change the name of the school he plays basketball for like transfer!

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Now, see; that’s the kind of comment that gets all comments deleted. No, he does not need to transfer; student-athletes attend a college to learn; and, he just learned a valuable lesson…do not trust the media.

11:57 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Wish it were that cut and dry. Depending on what happens next he may go down as the least popular player in program history. No telling where that leads. He’ll be booed by some on his own court, count on it. If the Kentucky fanbase does not get behind this team it’s not out of the question we see a lot of transfers, including Calipari. These guys won’t play or coach for fans who are blatantly racist. This is a turning point for the program. With all of the NBA players from our program it’s only a matter of time until they wade in with more gas in the fire. Again, the next 2-3 months could redefine Kentucky basketball for decades.

12:10 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

“Hospital CEO Resigns After Playing Doctor”

12:14 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

UKFanSC, you make some good points, but does anyone think there is 1 fanbase that has no racists in it? Unfortunately though, we have had to deal with sportswriters (and even political writers like George Will) for years who didn’t know the facts any more than Keion yet chose to brand Rupp as a blatant racist.

51. beezyblue
    9:15 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

He’s entitled to his opinion, however, if he’s not educated enough on Adolph Rupp to give his thoughts, he should really keep them to himself until he is educated enough to give a public statement. Just because you have a huge platform to preach from doesn’t mean you HAVE to use it.

52. rccwildcat
    10:35 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Hot Topic. Been a fan all my life like most on this post. I can remember watching us play UCLA in 1975 for the National Title. No question Rupp built the foundation which has lived on through the decades, with 6 different coaches & 4 more national titles. But for some reason I am not beholden to the name Rupp Arena. Maybe its because I think Kentucky basketball has become something more special than even Rupp could have imagined. The BBN is what makes it special, and I see no reason why the fan base should not be a part of the new name ” if changed”. That is what makes the arena special. The fan base that fills it every time the Wildcats play. So instead of viewing this as a step back if the name is changed, I think it can be an opportunity to recognize the BBN. As Calapari said once in a post game interview, ” What fan base gives the other teams player a standing ovation when he scores 40 points on us? The answer… No one… .. BBN is special. Why not honor that.

12:19 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

It is because the name change would be based on a lie. No thanks.

53. BleedBlue3
    11:04 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m confused. He said he’s not educated on Rupp but still knows what he stands for is wrong?? How can you have any preface at all ?

54. Bill Jackson
    11:11 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

Coach Cal should take the time to have the entire team watch the documentary that Dick Gabriel and WKYT TV put together about Rupp several years ago. If you actually watch this, there is little doubt that he was NOT a racist. He may have used the N word on occasion, but it was not the same as now. His actions do speak louder than this one word. I love our team, and players, but they need to do their homework first, Gee, isn’t that something that is important when taking classes at any level? If he chose a position based on heresay, and could not back it up with facts, I think he would fail the assignment.

12:18 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Bingo. That should be done, but I don’t think it will be, unfortunately. When the left wing mob is howling, few have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to it, even when the facts are totally not on the mob’s side.

55. Nolecat21

That’s .00000534% of black population

2015
    42 police were killed in duty/non traffic related
    That’s .0000525% of law enforcement

258 blacks were killed
    That’s .00000586% of black

I chose last year under Obama vs last full year under Trump.
    Strange how similar the numbers are, yet this wasn’t a big deal under Obama. Higher rate of police officers killed in the line of duty than blacks killed by police in both instances.

Why is racial injustice just now being addressed? Not saying it shouldn’t be, because it definitely should. But the majority of these instances are not examples of racial injustice. They’re examples of breaking the law and/or not complying. Keion and others have stated they’re being hunted and are afraid of cops killing them. That’s where the education needs to start. For one, you’re not being hunted unless you’re breaking the law. You won’t be killed unless you’re resisting/not complying. That goes for every person of every race. The statistics back this up. Are there bad cops, YES. Are there bad people in general, YES. Are there instances of wrongful death, 100%. Breonna Taylor fiasco for sure. That can be said for other races/instances as well.

Trump has given more opportunity for the black community than decades of Democrats who promised the same but never delivered. Before the pandemic, job rates have never been higher.

3:19 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Because George Soros funds these Antifa types to travel and creat mayhem everywhere in hopes that it furthers his agenda. Part of that is defeating Trump. Hopefully it doesn’t work. Polls are showing it’s hurting Biden, at least in Wisconsin.

56. Tywhoppity
    12:13 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

They need to rename it STD Arena, with Trojan as a corporate sponsor……. :’ )

57. T-Town Cat
    12:40 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Honest question: since there will be limited, if any, fans at the games, why even play at Rupp this season. They could play at Frederick Douglass High School or at the Craft Center (takes care of shooting woes).

58. runningunnin.454
    1:18 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Guess I’ll keep commenting as long as the thread is open. Think of the obstacles Rupp faced in the Jim Crow South, and think of it in terms of Major League Baseball, back when African-Americans were not allowed to play; they had to have a league of their own, and play for teams like the Kansas City Monarchs and the Pittsburgh Crawfords.
    Rupp routinely defied those norms and played integrated teams; it could be said that he broke the color barrier in the SEC much like Branch Rickey of the Dodgers who signed Jackie Robinson and broke the color barrier in 1947.

1:28 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

RG coming with the facts! As The Doobie Brothers said, we gotta keep this tran rollin’!

2:09 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

RG is always pretty grounded, we’ll-reasoned. I read some of these idiotic comments and admittedly make some of my own !

3:16 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Train. Haha.

59. chessplayer1974
    2:42 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Mr Brooks obviously didnt care about the name Rupp when he signed his scholarship now did he?

60. VirginiaCat
    3:37 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

The key to all this is context. The world was a different place when Rupp was in his prime and it seems unfair to judge him (or anyone else) based on 2020 standards. Folkways and mores change over time, making it difficult to judge a person’s character in hindsight. He was a man of his times and that should be taken into consideration. In my view, he built a basketball program based on excellence and lifted the commonwealth in the process. Removing his name would discount his contributions and diminish the tradition that we know as Kentucky basketball.

6:06 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

How dare you interject reason into this thread !!

• Bluehender
      10:36 am August 30, 2020 Permalink

Sound reasoning VirginiaCat. His name should remain and people should be educated on who he was. And they should know things were different then. And everyone should understand..only love can conquer hate.