BREAKING: Kahlil Whitney is leaving Kentucky

Breaking news. Kahlil Whitney just announced he is leaving the Kentucky Basketball program. The freshman forward posted this message on social media explaining his decision:

In 18 games this season, Whitney averaged 3.3 points, 1.7 rebounds, and 0.4 assists in 12.8 minutes. He’s scored only three points and grabbed three rebounds over the last seven games.

“First and foremost, Kahlil is a great kid,” UK head coach John Calipari said of the decision. “This is tough for me because Kahlil is a tremendous person who is going to do great things. I certainly don’t want to see him go because I wanted to continue to coach him, but I understand his decision and, as we always do here, will support him in whatever way we can.

“As I told Kahlil today, I hope he goes on and does his thing and makes us all proud. I know he will stay in touch with us and I know our fans will continue to support him as he takes this next step.”

This story is developing and will be updated…

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

108 Comments for BREAKING: Kahlil Whitney is leaving Kentucky

1. KentuckyVSEveryone
    12:00 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Wow. Did not even wait until the end of the season! Guess he doesn’t believe that adversity makes you a stronger person

• Nugget01
      12:26 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Probably has something to do w/transfer rules and future eligibility. That’d be my guess there Tony Robbins.

• ColoradoCatFan88
      12:36 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Why wait? At least this way he will be eligible to play next season as opposed to having to sit out a full one. I honestly don’t blame the kid on his decision. It’s not like he was contributing anything to this team. Juzang & Brooks have both passed him up & Dontaie Allen will do the same when he returns. And look what we have coming in next year.. He realizes he’s just not good enough to play a vital role at Kentucky and will be recruited over. Like Cal says, it’s not for everybody. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up (unless it’s Duke, Memphis, or Louisville lol)

• CJKAssassin123
      12:40 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

People have been linking him to Georgetown and Illinois.

• Alex90
      12:43 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He will still have to sit out unless he gets a waiver. 2nd semester has already started and he’s played in every game.

• DelrayCat
      1:00 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He sucks. I’m glad he’s gone. Weak mind, soft body. Not man enough to hold anyone on this team’s jock. I bet his mommy wrote that note for him. Bye Felicia.

• StillBP
      1:08 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Geezus, Delray. Sounds like your mommy did a great job raising you as a respectful human being* *sarcasm

• ClutchCargo
      1:46 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

No one even needs to point out what a dick Delray is. He did a fantastic job of that all on his own.

2. jakew60
    12:09 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Wishing him the best no doubt can be a great player some day ??

3. Dark Soul
    12:13 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

That’s not good. He has potential. It kills me that every player we get expects to be Michael Jordan in their freshman year

• mcp157
      6:54 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

When is the NBA going to allow high school guys to go straight in and clean up this kind of stuff in college. They, the kids, are way too, impatient. Look at Nick Richards!

4. Cokely53
    12:13 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Would love to know the behind the scenes here. To transfer before finishing a single season just makes him seem like a huge quitter. Don’t want that kind of person on the team anyways. Good luck going forward I guess.

5. CJKAssassin123
    12:14 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

It’s actually smart because now he won’t have to sit out a semester because he would of already done so I bet he transfers to Duke or to Memphis both were high on his list before he chose UK. I’m not going to lie this is a massive blow to this team and it comes at the worst possible time especially when UK is going on the Road for the toughest road game they may play all year. Now Cal will have to adjust his gameplay again with a little more than 24 hours to until tip-off!

That was a really selfish and dick thing to do and while I wish him the best the rest of the way and I thank him for his contributions to this program,I I also think he just proved how unworthy he is to wear the name “Kentucky” across his chest!

• StillBP
      12:19 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

adjust the gameplay for Sat…you think Cal didn’t know this was coming? He played 4 minutes in the last two games, something tells me Cal won’t need to change much…er anything.

• abobicesaevior
      12:20 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Massive blow? Not quite. Good luck to the kid.

• LuckynKY859
      12:21 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Second semester has already started so he will have to sit out a whole year. If he would have done this in December, things would be different.

• CJKAssassin123
      12:28 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Unless he did file in December and with the holidays and everything that followed he simply just decided to wait until now to announce his that he has decided to transfer. I could be wrong.

• IrishCat
      12:32 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

No blow at all to the team. Wish him the best.

• CrystalBall
      12:38 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know if transfer rules have changed, but a few years ago the rule was if you transferred during Freshman season you sit out a year and lost 2 years eligibility. Was the reason Joe Crawford didn’t transfer during his Freshman year.

• StillBP
      12:29 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

even if he filed in Dec, he still played in Jan games. I’m certainly no expert but that doesn’t make any sense.

• natedaddy
      12:41 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He’ll not be going Duke. Memphis maybe. Talent wise they’re as loaded as we are. He’s going somewhere where he can get a lot of playing time immediately. He’ll go to a middling D1 program. According to ESPN he had offers from Georgetown, Illinois and Oregon.

• runningunnin.454
      12:53 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Illinois would make sense; isn’t he from Chicago?

• KentuckyVSEveryone
      1:01 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Whoa CJK…it’s a little harsh to say that he is unworthy “to wear the name ‘Kentucky’ across his chest.” Kentucky is not for everyone, and apparently he did not see that during the recruiting process. I do think he gave his all in practice and in games, but others were just above him when it came to game minutes. I am upset that he is leaving, especially in the middle of the season, but it is his life and his decision. I hope the best and hope that his offensive game improves, bc he has the athleticism and potential to be amazing. Good luck KW.

6. ukbradstith
    12:14 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Frustrating these guys can’t stick around and develop like Nick.

• HackRichards
      12:20 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Yes I was just going to comment that he is NO Nick Richards.

7. CJKAssassin123
    12:20 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

However this could also result in being addition by subtraction.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:00 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Marr Jones is that you?

8. RealCatsFan
    12:21 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know his personal situation, so I wish him luck wherever he goes. But I worry that he is getting some bad advice from someone who has a personal “stake” in his ability to make money off of basketball. Hope for his sake that I am wrong.

9. BigJohnC
    12:22 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Man could he have at least waited until after the big game? Or little bit while back? He was told when he came here that it would have to be earned. I guess he didn’t take that to heart?

• CJKAssassin123
      12:35 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

My thoughts exactly!!!

10. BigJohnC
    12:22 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Best wishes for you my man.

11. BlueBanker18
    12:22 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

This is frustrating. I felt like Whitney was so close to finding his groove. I was more excited about seeing him breakout this year than any other player. The decision comes off as incredibly weak and short-sighted.

• DelrayCat
      1:10 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

You would have been waiting a long time. His supposed skill level was a mirage. He must have just bullied the little high school boys to get an offer from Cal. He was worse than Ryan Harrow.

12. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    12:23 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I seen him from day one as a project player that had a superstar mindset. Nothing against his character but it was clear to me Brooks was better and had more of a basketball IQ and feel for the game. Some players develop early and put in the work, you can tell Juzang and Brooks have been doing that because Cal has played them. Now they get the clear cut minutes and hopefully fill a need for scoring and rebounding.

• satcheluk
      8:06 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He was the highest ranked player in this class.

13. BBNfromOklahoma
    12:24 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I do not think this is a “Dick” move at all. There comes a time when a young man must make HIS OWN decision, whether the hordes on BBN agree with it or not. He doesn’t have a role on this roster, and now he might reduce the sit-out period if he transfers now. As a great fanbase, we should wish him nothing but the best, because while it didn’t reflect on the scorecard, I believe he gave us his best.

• StillBP
      12:28 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

not sure how this will reduce the sit out period seeing as though he’s played during the 2nd semester.

• StillBP
      12:29 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

but yeah I wish him the best

• meeksfor3
      1:37 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

The 2nd semester has already started so he will have to sit out all next year unless the NCAA gives him a waiver. To be honest his message doesn’t indicate he plans to transfer. He only says he will be in the gym and film room to prepare for the next level.

• satcheluk
      8:08 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

My son tried to quit baseball in the middle of the season and I wouldn’t let him. We started extra practices, forced by me, and now he’s the best player on the team (second season) and he loves baseball. Sometimes as a parent you have to teach your kids through tough love.

14. RealCatsFan
    12:29 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

And this has nothing to do with the article, but the structure and function of this site absolutely sucks! EVERY SINGLE TIME that a big announcement comes along, the site crashes. And then when you do connect, it totally bogs down the computer CPU, hogging all the resources. I don’t know how much money KSR is making from all of these popup ads, but it is eventually going to backfire because people are going to get sick of dealing with it. Unlike some, I am not driven away by the content or Matt’s political stance – rather, I am being driven away by the simple fact that the damned site is DOWNRIGHT UNUSABLE most of the time. Surely they can find someone who knows their ass from their elbow to design a functional site that still brings in revenue for them. Other people manage to do it. Hell, I would be happy to have paid membership to make the ads go away.

• IrishCat
      12:34 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Wish him the best, and this is probably a good decision. He could improve by leaks and bounds by next season and still be buried behind 4-5 guys that play his position.

• secrick
      1:04 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep i agree. Sucks

• ukkatzfan
      1:10 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Great news for you. Now for the low price of $2.99/month you can have the ads removed. On my iphone, i click more on bottom of page then on “ remove the ads” at the top of following page. Congrats on losing the ads at the very low price of <$36. (Imagine confetti now falling from the ceiling and your family beaming with pride as they gather around).

• bosch8184
      2:14 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

100%. Although Lexington Matt being to Calipari what Baghdad Bob was to Saddam gets extremely old and keeps me away some, but not nearly as much as the website’s function.

15. macattack
    12:30 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Cal always says this program isnt for everyone. But I get why he would leave too. He’s fallen behind his teammates and is stuck on the bench. For someone as highly ranked as a recruit as he was, that has to be tough. Especially if the end goal is to make it to the league. I hate getting on here and seeing people trash the kid. It’s not our dreams and livelihoods at stake. I cant fault a kid for doing what is best for him. Best of luck to you, Kahlil.

• CJKAssassin123
      12:34 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He could have at least waited until Sunday or Monday!

16. CJKAssassin123
    12:33 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

This will allow allow more minutes for Brooks, but it also will free some minutes up for Dontaie Allen when he’s physically and mentally ready to play which should be fairly soon.

17. sharpshooter81
    12:33 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Wish him the very best wherever he ends up at. But, being honest, I don’t see this much of a blow to the team going forward as Juzang and Brooks have clearly passed him by for minutes. This young man is not polished at all and relies completely on his athleticism. His shot mechanics need serious work as well as his footwork. Can he one day be a really good college player, only time will tell on that one. I agree with another poster that “someone” is in his ear telling him how great he is and already NBA ready. I hope for his sake he gets rid of those individuals as all they are about is the money and how they can get a lot of it. Again, good luck to him in future endeavors.

18. Bluebloodtoo
    12:34 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

There is very little information available for everyone to be making judgements. All we know is that whitney isn’t getting much playing time and here clearly isn’t happy with the current situation. There is no reason to believe anything negative about whitney or the coaching staff based on the available facts. Stop trying to read the tea leaves and draw conclusions.

Good luck to you Whitney. I hope you find success in your search.

19. Dustin Rumbaugh
    12:35 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I hope he finds a spot that works for him ala Charles Matthews. I think this…and he kinda hinted at it saying that he talked to the coaches about the decision….was a mutual thing. Sometimes everything seems perfect but it just isn’t the right fit. We’ve all been in dating situations like that and I don’t think this is much different. Wish him the best and I WILL root for him wherever he ends up. Once a Cat always a Cat.

20. IrishCat
    12:36 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Wish him the best, and this is probably a good decision. He could improve by leaps and bounds by next season and still be buried behind 4-5 guys that play his position.

21. StuckinLville
    12:38 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

So I guess Keion and Johnny getting minutes over him has hurt his pride. He could have at least waited until the end of the season. Another coddled kid not getting his way and choosing to bail instead of sticking it out. Still had several games to prove himself but he just proved his not mentally tough so next man up!

22. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:38 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Well this stinks, not just for UK bball, but he just seems like such a good guy. I thought that when I saw the video profile where they showed him going back to his elementary school and all.

Best of luck Kahlil. I would have thought the best move would be to stay, continue to learn, and fight. But, what do I know? Again, godspeed.

23. catfan838
    12:40 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Honestly not surprised…..different generation of kids and we live in a must have it now world. Good luck to him and hope he finds what he is looking for!

24. SuperTroy18
    12:40 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I expected a ton from him this season. He hit that first wall though, and couldn’t get his head wrapped around it. It’s a shame. I predicted to a friend a couple weeks ago that he was transferring, and that he will absolutely blow up at his next stop. He just needs to take a step down from how competitive every single UK game is. If he went to Memphis, or a place like SMU or a high mid-major, he would probably put up big numbers since he will be older and stronger and much more conditioned. Good luck to the kid. Wish he had stayed.

25. CatsfaninFL
    12:41 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Nooo. Really like this kid in UK Blue. Hope the best for him though and he finds what he is looking for.

26. plumloopy
    12:44 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Here here. Although, at least I don’t have to chase the comment box like the last site iteration.

27. Alex90
    12:48 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

You were at the best place to become better but you chose to quit instead of working to get better. He’s quitting on his teammates in the middle of the season, so no Im not going to simply wish him luck elsewhere. I’m sure he will go be mediocre somewhere and that’s cool but you could’ve just stick it out til the end of the season or semester if you cared at all about school. Soft move by a soft player and that’s why he didn’t play here.

• Realme
      1:02 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I feel like I agree more with you than most of the nicer people here. They were already so short on practice players they had to poach from the baseball team. Doing this during the season sucks to your teammates and coaches, but maybe they know something we don’t.

• StillBP
      1:29 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Real, I agree with y’all on it sucks that he’s quitting on his “brothers” as he called them, but hell he’s 18 yo (I assume), we don’t always make the most mature decisions at that age. Hell, reading this comment section you can see some of us don’t make mature decisions as older adults. So yes, I’m going to wish the kid luck with his future, life is too short to be upset over basketball.

• KentuckyRob
      2:54 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Thank you StillBP! Finally, someone with common sense!

28. UKLugo
    12:50 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Didnt see this coming.Not yet anyways. IMO, he’s quitting. I hate to see kids quit. But, best of luck to him.

29. BBNBRIAN
    12:58 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

So we lost a good practice player…? Next man up! Who wants his game minutes? I’m sure Johnny and Brooks will be more productive with those minutes. Remember how the team seemed to turn a corner after Quade transferred…? We good.

30. ukwildcat1991
    1:01 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He could not have made a better choice. He just wasn’t clicking here

31. runningunnin.454
    1:01 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Maxima Enim, Patientia Virtus.

32. BigBlue4EverUK
    1:03 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Not surprised, we at least have someone transfer every year. Just may hurt a lil with our depth this year if keep getting in foul trouble. Plus with him leaving this early may help us out picking up another recruit for his spot next season.

33. lexslamman
    1:04 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Curious if any more is going to come out on what’s happened behind the scenes. I’ve felt that he may be an attitude problem since the middle of the non-con schedule.

34. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:04 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Allen must be owning him in practice.

35. secrick
    1:07 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Attitude looked good last game was up supporting the team , fired up when we did good. Ha he is just a kid and needs more playing time. Don’t blame him. Good Luck

36. terwilliger
    1:13 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Notice how at the end of his statement he is talking about “the next level”. Son, you need to work on preparing yourself for THIS level lol… because right now you are lost. This kid is a victim of his own press clippings and ranking, which was based solely on athleticism because he cannot shoot or dribble worth a lick. Everybody was going crazy when we signed him, but all I saw in his mixtapes were dunks. Kid is Hami 2.0, except Hami actually had some humility about him. This kid’s head is up in the clouds and that will be his downfall. He isn’t concerned with developing fundamental skills, just trying to shortcut to the league somehow. It’s sad. Too many kids these days (and I’m 36 before y’all start with the boomer stuff) are in complete denial about their own work ethics and self importance. Not just talking about basketball players either… all young people.

• madarchitect
      1:31 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

At least you know you sound like one.

37. Bluehender
    1:14 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Good luck to the kid. Wish he could have hung in there till the end of the year…

38. BeejeCat
    1:19 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Anyone find it interesting that this news is announced after Cal has declared this a player-driven team? Might say more about how his teammates view his abilities and ability to contribute through the remainder of this season. Wish him the best. Let’s move on!

39. b2h3slin
    1:22 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I loved the kid’s game and thought he could be a nice player here, but it’s clear he doesn’t have the mentality. I honestly think he just wanted the celebrity status that comes with being a basketball player at Kentucky (bright lights, females, etc). Coming in I thought he was a one and done lottery pick, but now I see him as a long shot to even make the league. I do wish him the best. Next man up

• terwilliger
      1:30 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Not trying to be a dick, but the kid doesn’t have any game. I mean seriously… what exactly about his game was there to love? He is not good at basketball.

• CJKAssassin123
      1:44 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Very possible! Maybe it was Cal himself that talked him into transferring? Very dangerous if true.

• b2h3slin
      1:43 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I hear what you’re saying. He’s obviously super athletic and was developing some range when he was at the hs level. I figured he would have a role on this team as a small ball four who would bring energy (defense, hustle plays, offensive rebounds) and hit an occasional three.

• ClutchCargo
      1:52 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Zero chance any coach, much less Cal, would counsel a player to quit mid-season. Terrible take.

• CJKAssassin123
      2:49 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Never said he did,I said he could have. With Kai you can never count out him doing anything. I also said it would be very dangerous if it were proven to be true, I never said he actually did and I’m glad it was proven that he didn’t to be honest. Seriously people learn to read things carefully, and stop taking things out of context.

• StillBP
      2:38 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Cal just released a statement about how sad he is that he is leaving, but supports him no matter what. Cal didn’t push him to leave

• StillBP
      2:53 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

lol no one took anything out of context. you said maybe Cal did, other people disagreed. Kinda how message boards work.

40. UKgrad80
    1:29 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Yes it seems they just have the patience to work there way up so they just leave. Leaving now makes no sense as he has already played in every game this semester. Why not give it till seasons end. Someone gave him bad advice. He will be at Illinois next year.

41. Wade
    1:30 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Remeber Matthews who transferred to Michigan I think he could end up that kind of guy after a while in the right program. I just don’t remember him scoring more than 3 points in the season to be honest. Wish him well just not a fit here. I have to say I saw this coming ,no reason to wait any longer for kahlil . It’s quitting yes but it’s also recognizing this isn’t for me and kids 18 and played here and that’s an accomplishment . I can say I never even got a look from Kentucky and I’m guessing none of you did . Go cats! Let’s kick Texas techs ass on caturday

42. MississippiBlue
    1:39 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I hate to see players transfer. If Coach Cal believes in themI believe in them! Over the course of Cal’s tenure we’ve seen players drastically improve from year to year, and Whitney could’ve been next. He has all the physical tools to be an All SEC performer, and anyone who questions his mental makeup doesn’t know the circumstances he grow up in. I truly feel that he was close to turning the corner, but it’s his life to live. I wish him nothing, but the best in all of his future endeavors.

43. AndTheDevil
    1:46 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Why does everyone keep saying “transfer”? He doesn’t say he’s transferring from UK, he says he’s leaving UK to prepare himself for the next level. (though he should have probably prepared himself for THIS level) I don’t think he is transferring anywhere. The timing suggests he’s probably looking at a personal trainer to prepare himself for the Draft/private workouts, that failing he’ll probably play in Europe somewhere for a year and then try again.

I don’t see this kid stepping foot on any other college campus/court. Transferring would be silly at this point, he’d more than likely have to sit out a year and what does that get him? Another year not in the NBA. And the NBA seems to be his driving factor. If he was fine just transferring and sitting out a year, he might as well stick around here and play next year.

• ClutchCargo
      1:59 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I think you’re right, and our APR is going to take a hit if he just quits school now.

44. Heavy C
    1:51 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Dang. Something like this always seems to coax the stupid out in some people. Wish the kid well and forget it. It dont always work out. Hopefully this decision will lead to him having a successful LIFE. Some of you morons…..SMH.

45. channell
    2:09 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

This is what is so wrong with the one and done. These kids look at UK as being a boot camp for the next step. It appears that these kids thinks they are a failure if they have to wait their turn or come back. Last year Washington came back and dramatically boosted his stock in the draft. Richards is beginning to show draft potential. Hagans game is much improved as well as Quickley. The latter definitely needs to come back. Size matters on these guards. Guards are dime a dozen in the height range as UK’s. Gotta be special to make it in the NBA at that size. The Ja Morants are rare. Each kid is different. I wish they all recognized that.

46. Alex90
    2:20 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He’s leaving because his minutes were cut and he basically says that. He could’ve finished the semester with his teammates while getting world class instruction from top coaches with access to top of the line facilities. He doesn’t want to get better he wants to play now whether he’s helping his team or not. If he did this before the semester started that would make sense

47. Fly Cat
    2:24 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

There’s always barber college.

48. DelrayCat
    2:34 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

it’s interesting so many people here are okay with him quitting mid-season, especially given how the entire fan base treated Daniel Orton. It hasn’t been mentioned, but I’m sure Whitney dropped out of classes and this will hurt APR.

• StillBP
      2:44 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Please tell us how the entire fan base treated Orton. Do you think KSR embodies the entire fan base? It doesn’t. If you just go on KSR comments you would think a majority of the fan base thinks Cal can’t coach, but yet if you talk to other fans who aren’t on the site, you will hear mostly positive things about Cal’s coaching abilities. When Orton left, I was disappointed he didn’t finish the semester, but I certainly didn’t denigrate him…you know, like you did to Whitney in your comment elsewhere in this comment section. I think a majority of us realize these are kids and they will make silly decisions. And if they were our kids, we would be very upset at things people say about them, yet since they are truly strangers to most of us, some of us feel like it’s okay to say crappy things about them (here’s looking directly at you!).

• ClutchCargo
      3:48 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Uh, yeah. I did mention APR just a few comments above…

49. KentuckyRob
    2:42 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I swear. Some of the comments by certain people on here are really ignorant and downright pathetic. But, I guess some people can’t function without negativity because bringing down others makes them feel better about themselves. They are SO unhappy with their own miserable, pathetic, insignificant life that they have nothing better to do than bring down and talk CRAP about an 18 year old kid! Now, as far as Keion goes. Yes. This news sucks, but we have NO idea what’s going on behind the scenes. Can we just give him the benefit of the doubt and wich the kid good luck? I know I am! So, wherever this new journey takes him I hope he finds peace with this decision and is able to figure things out and is successful going forward! Salute! Keion

50. dcforuk
    3:20 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Daggum it !

• dcforuk
      3:21 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

He was the one player before the season began I was most excited to watch and follow….

51. dan1965
    3:46 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Well I hate it,was rooting for the kids to finally catch fire and get it going,and be a controller.
    Thing is,sometimes things happen,or click quick. Brooks and Juzang both just kind of started getting a rhythm in the last 2 games.
    Who knows,maybe in the next 2,3,4 games,boom all of a sudden he hits a couple shots,gets going,and then he’s in the rotation playing more!
    Thats what gets me,it can happen quick for you if you catch on, so it makes me wonder,he must really feel like he’s not getting in,or doing well in practice,or something that’s good him he’s just not gonna do it here.
    He’s a kid,no matter what happened,He’s a kid,I have nothing bad to say about a 18 year old kid,mistakes,bad decisions happen,he didn’t speak bad of Calipari,the team,UK, and I’m not going to do so of him. I truly wish the young man the best,and send prayers to him and his family.
    Our organization,including fans should ALL be respectful,we should all show class,and when many don’t,and say classless things to these young kids,that’s where many put down Kentucky as a whole,and its a shame because of a few coasters people that happens,and no,I don’t care who I piss off !!!
    These are kids,they make mistakes,basketball a GAME,divorce,losing your entire family,death losing a loved one,losing a child young,those are life,real life that matters. Some of you are to young to get that,so like the kids that play for UK,I give you a break,one day you will grow up,and find out the difference.

52. stringmusic78
    3:56 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

This is a product of the system at UK. I think the blame falls on Whitney for not taking the “Kentucky is not for everyone” speech to heart. That means expect to not be the best for the first time in your life, work hard and fight through that adversity, be patient for things to come. He did none of those things.

Go Cats!

53. Looother
    5:08 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

When the going got tough, Whitney quit. A really immature move on his part…

54. Looother
    5:08 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

When the going got tough, Whitney quit. A really immature move on his part…

55. satcheluk
    8:02 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

What a puss…

56. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    8:06 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

Best of luck to him. But he was highly overrated.

57. dcforuk
    11:21 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

It is tough for these kids to reconcile……

(1) be patient, don’t force the situation, let the game come to you

Vs

(2) you aren’t being aggressive enough. You can’t just sit back and be reactive all the time. You have to go create something!

• dcforuk
      11:24 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

If you can reconcile those two things then you can help reconcile the following:

(1) “I define passion as extreme emotion.” — Coach K

Vs.

(2) “Emotion is your enemy.” — Coach Wooden

• dcforuk
      11:25 pm January 24, 2020 Permalink

I know it’s tough for those kids because I too struggle with that tension. It’s just something that you have to figure out.