BREAKING: Evansville transfer DeAndre Williams commits to Memphis

Mandatory Credit: Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

Evansville transfer DeAndre Williams has finally come up with a decision.

This afternoon, the 6-foot-10 forward native of Houston, TX announced he will be taking his talents to Memphis next season, choosing the Tigers over Arkansas, Baylor, and Kentucky.

“Next year, I will be attending the University of Memphis,” Williams said in an Instagram Live announcement.

Earlier this week, Kyle Tucker of The Athletic reported that UK may have “backed away from the table” on the versatile forward, who was originally planning to announce a decision this past weekend.

“My sense is UK backed away from the table on Evansville transfer DeAndre Williams,” Tucker said in a tweet Wednesday afternoon. “There’s a lot going on there with a 24-year-old Class of 2016 guy who played for a home school team, had a lost year, then prep school, then ineligible year and has 18 career D1 games.”

“And frankly, I think John Calipari owed it to Keion Brooks (and the two top-50 HS forwards he recruited) to give them a crack at being the guy(s) at power forward,” Tucker continued in a follow-up tweet. “If Sarr gets a waiver, Kentucky has plenty in the frontcourt.”

Kentucky’s frontcourt was something his camp was monitoring closely, with Williams’ former coach and mentor, Kenny Roy, telling KSR that he “didn’t know” UK had so many players fighting for minutes in the post.

“You have to look at the fact that there’s a lot of guys fighting for that four spot on that roster,” Roy told KSR. “You look at the point guard, [Devin] Askew, you look at the two five-star wings he brought in. Somebody’s got to be a two, and someone’s got to be a three. Sarr is at the five. So the way I see it is that there are a lot of guys fighting for that four spot.

“That’s not saying DeAndre won’t fight for that spot, I’ll never take away his competitiveness and how he can play. Like I said last time we talked, DeAndre comes in and takes what he wants. But it’s still worth mentioning that there are a lot of guys at the four spot, I didn’t know there were that many.”

Instead, Williams will play for Penny Hardaway and the Memphis Tigers next season, barring positive feedback to close out the NBA Draft process. Roy told KSR that Williams “wants to hear what the NBA has to say” and will continue to weigh his options.

“I will say that DeAndre wants to hear what the NBA has to say about him,” Roy told KSR. “And if the NBA feels like he needs another year of school, he’ll be back for another year of school. If they’re going to draft him, that’s something he’s going to need to look at with his family.”

Until then, though, Williams will tentatively plan on heading to Memphis next season.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

24 Comments for BREAKING: Evansville transfer DeAndre Williams commits to Memphis

1. Nate06
    6:47 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Good, I want maker

2. lexattorney
    6:50 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

I wanted neither after I heard about Williams’ eligibility issue and his desire to, for lack of a better phrase, to basically be the man.

• desertCard
      10:12 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

So you want a guy coming in who just wants to be a wallflower? BBN always looking for an excuse. “why course we didn’t want that player. Never ever said we did.” Well once he decides to go some place else. You got Toppin though. All 5 pts a game. Yee haw we goin 50-0

3. Megan
    7:10 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Best of luck to him.

4. VirginiaCat
    7:16 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

After listening to Jack’s recent podcast, I am persuaded that Williams’ decision is a good outcome for Kentucky on multiple levels. Good luck to the young (kinda) man.

5. Rixter
    7:24 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Mid-major player transfers from one mid-major program to an equally crappy mid-major program. Keep moving, nothing to see here, folks.

6. TonyMontana
    7:43 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Ehhh dont care.

7. UKgrad80
    8:37 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

PAYDAY!

• JASUN74
      9:03 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

I’d say that’s as close as anyone so far. Haha. I liked the young mans game and wish he would’ve come to Kentucky myself. Makur sure isn’t close to being the answer. He wouldn’t play 10 mins a game. Lol. Five years from now he’ll be pretty good probably. Not now.

Anyway, best of luck to Williams and I hope he has a good individual season. The Cats will always be fine and are ready to go as is. I would love to have a couple more body’s on the team to practice but it is what it is. Let’s just hope for no injuries

8. BobbyBlue
    8:58 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

This made my day !

9. ukbradstith
    9:03 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Best descision for both honestly. And yes I see my spelling error but it kept auto correcting to something else so I’m leaving it out of spite

10. BoogieDMC
    9:28 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Wish him luck. Not a good fit.

11. grammarpoliceUK
    9:50 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Something about this whole recruiting saga has seemed strange from the beginning.

12. just a guy
    10:00 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Oh no, a transfer from Evansville with eligibility issues didn’t choose us?? What will the greatest program in history of NCAA do now?
    This guy shoulda been happy to ever even put on a UK Jersey, much less try to dictate playing time. Move on

13. CJKAssassin123
    10:29 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

People don’t forget about Banchero and Cisse. Both could reclassify and both are leaning toward UK.we don’t need any more PF’s. What we need is some depth at the Center position, even if Olivier Serr does in fact get a waiver to play this coming season, we are going to need another guy or two behind him in case of foul trouble.

14. desertCard
    3:27 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

LOL you guys are so funny. Guy considers UK. “He’s the man, we’ll be like rated even better than number 1. We’ll probably go 50-0.” Once he goes somewhere else. “Meh he was a bad player. a bad person and we didn’t want him anyway”.

Toppin who avg 5 pts for powerhouse Rhode Island… “He’s the man, we’ll be like rated even better than number 1. We’ll probably go 50-0.” lol lol lol

Did any of you even go to UK? I bet not.

• Kywildcats09
      8:59 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

Yes I did. B3 dorms as a freshman. I believe the hype was more so before we landed Sarr. He is way better than this kid and filled the need at center

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      9:10 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

Kinda like U6 and it’s players are good till the STDs from the hookers hurts their junk so bad come the UK game they just can’t win. They won’t cure the STD till after the Kentucky game because rule number 1 for Louisville and it’s fans is we have to bring stupidly, drug addiction, and disease to anywhere we go in the state.

• desertCard
      10:15 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

Kywildcats09 and once Sarr gets no waiver, bye bye.

Thetruthshallsetbennyfree and you for sure not. Once you’re old enough maybe. Enjoy elementary school while it lasts.

• BCO
      11:10 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

Gatton School class of 05. Lot of alumni on here actually. Too bad UL doesn’t have a real estate class, you could figure out how to keep big brother from living rent free in your head.

15. kentuckybackupplayer
    8:37 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

Memphis will not be as good next year and they were headed for the NIT last season. Maybe his dream was to play in a fanless NIT.

16. UKfanman01
    9:38 am May 16, 2020 Permalink

Too bad we are stacked on guards. Mac McClung entered the transfer portal. I know we’re stacked, and I don’t know who I would axe, but he is pretty solid

17. Urincatland
    12:08 pm May 16, 2020 Permalink

Billy G days with all the transfers!!