Brad Calipari calls out Mark Titus of The Ringer for “wanna be black” comments

Kentucky walk-on guard Brad Calipari has been in the national spotlight as of late not for anything basketball related, but for his interesting gameday attire each time the Wildcats take the floor.

In one instance, he wore a split-color button down on the Kentucky bench.

In another, a grey-suit, white-turtleneck combo with a gold necklace to complete the look.

Beyond those two outfits, Calipari has worn different designer hoodies, sweatshirts, and suits of all different colors and styles, sparking interest from several national outlets, namely from the Pardon My Take crew of Barstool Sports.

Over the last few weeks, Calipari and his outfits have been hot topics of conversation on the show, and the Kentucky guard finally caught wind of it today. And he wasn’t too happy about it.

Pardon My Take had Mark Titus of The Ringer on the show on Tuesday, who called out Calipari for “wanting to be black,” saying he has “never seen anybody take it to the level” that he is taking it to.

He used his own experience as a former walk-on basketball player to back up his argument.

I have a lot of Brad Calipari thoughts,” he said on the show.Yeah, look, I know a lot of white guys that wanna be black, cause I mean growing up playing basketball, I mean I dabbled in that for a long time in my own life. If you go back and find any picture of me in 2004-ish, somewhere around that year, I’m wearing (XXL) everything. Because I was on an AAU team, I was the token white guy, I said this is how I’m going to fit in. I have never seen anybody take it to the level that Brad Calipari is taking it to.”

This evening, Calipari took to Twitter to share his thoughts on the comments, saying “black isn’t a personality” and asking him to “come correct” next time he brings him up.

After being called out on the famous public platform, Titus backed off his comments instantly, saying he takes “full responsibility” and shouldn’t have fallen for the “nonsense” that comes with Pardon My Take.

Calipari has always been outspoken on social media about not caring what his haters say, but the redshirt guard wanted to make sure the world knew he was not a fan of what Titus had to say.

And I can’t say I blame him.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

46 Comments for Brad Calipari calls out Mark Titus of The Ringer for “wanna be black” comments

1. ClutchCargo
    12:00 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

As a career “hot take artist” this idiot needs to experience the consequences of his stupid comments. What goes around comes around.

2. katmandue2you
    12:20 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m thinking Brads teammates would think it hilarious if Brad’s response to this stereotyping and characterization would’ve been to “go blackface” on the bench for a game. Just sayin. Better yet…just askin. Thoughts?

• Wynn
      1:24 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Jesus Christ. You’re wrong. Let’s leave it at that

• ibescootch
      2:19 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

I have no idea who you are, but this is your worst idea ever.

• RealCatsFan
      6:15 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Kat, I am truly hoping that shortly after you wrote that you were wishing for a “delete post” button on the site.

• RealCatsFan
      6:38 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Actually I am really hoping you were looking for the sarcasm font, but I have my doubts.

• satcheluk
      1:50 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

This is why there is still racial division.

3. dUKesUKs
    12:38 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he should consider wearing, oh I don’t know, some attire that represents the University of Kentucky…….the same university he graduated from. The same university and team that he played for, that his dad coaches, whose bench he gets to still on for the best seat in any arena…….but what do I know?!?!

• az1006
      12:53 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Well, he hasn’t graduated yet. So there’s that. And why does it matter what he wears? He isn’t playing. Coaches don’t wear UK attire. They wear suits. NBA guys in “street clothes” don’t wear team attire. No one says a word then. This is dumb. Let the kid wear what he wants. It shouldn’t be a story.

• lexcatfan2367
      9:14 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Stop trying to tell these kids what to wear. Just because they play for UK/on the team doesn’t mean you get to control every aspect of who they are. Worry about yourself.

4. Wynn
    1:25 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s hilarious how many people are taking this seriously ?

5. lewisgr
    2:07 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Am I wrong, or is that a Lloyd Christmas haircut?

6. oruacat2
    2:41 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

What’s this? The pizza-review douchebags are acting up again? Color me shocked.

7. The last sith lord
    5:58 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Titus is not the brightest bulb if it was that easy for them to goad him. Plus with all the tanning but n lip inplants changing of hair texture most ppl want to be black but most ppl dont like blacks

8. StuckinLville
    7:01 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

I think people forget Brad is a rich kid and rich kids wear crazy stuff.

9. UKCatAttack
    7:06 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Off topic post but anybody ever wonder why everything always says he is from New Jersey instead of Lexington. I understand he went to prep school there but it still seems like he would be “from” Lexington KY considering he and his family have lived here for 10 years.

• justaregulardude
      7:26 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

He was born in NJ when cal was coaching the Nets. Lived in Memphis then moved here in middle school. Went to boarding school in MA, not jersey, before coming back to school here. Definitely not “from” Lexington.

10. UKLugo
    8:29 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

A. Love how BC tags his mom and sister. Sheesh.
    B. It’s becoming a distraction. All the talk re: this team should be about the guys doing it on the floor. Not a “red-shirting” walk-on who happens to be the coach’s son..

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      8:45 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

If he is this sensitive over his wardrobe he has a long way to go before becoming a coach at any level.

11. ukcats1776.90
    8:33 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

brad must not be a Democrat. they think race decides everything – including personality

• Luether
      2:36 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

My sources confirm your suspicion…

12. KYjellyRoll
    8:39 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

I hope he wears a clown suit to the next and. My goodness, you can say “who cares?” Apparently a lot of people care lol. Not me. But, a bozo suit would really ruffle some feathers! Leave him alone!

13. lexcatfan2367
    9:16 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

People are so concerned with what people wear. Y’all complain that the guys don’t wear the same damn shoes. Who tf cares? If All I had to worry about was others’ fashion choices, I’d be doing pretty good. Get a life for Pete’s sake.

14. IndianaSucks
    9:20 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Super weak move by tagging his sister and mom.

• StillBP
      9:32 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Megan and Arin are both good sisters, he didn’t tag his mom

• StillBP
      9:33 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

*his sisters, although they’re probably good sisters too lol

• IndianaSucks
      10:49 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Sorry Erin and Ellen very close to my defense lol and I hope they are! Ha

15. JDizzle14
    9:37 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Honestly, in his pic with the suit, he looks a bit like a thin-faced Todd Svoboda at the same age……LOL

• rprice
      9:59 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

This is such a racist comment by Titus! Imagine if someone said a black person wanted to be white!

• JDizzle14
      10:26 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Bingo…..thats the bottom-line right there. No sports reporter should be making comments like that or calling out a player for something like that either…..like when did that become ok? And ppl wonder why race relations are what they are. A sports reporter like this just keeps those fires stoked with a comment like this.

16. bwise
    10:18 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

Who cares. Move on. We are on a great run and you idiots keep posting about brad and what people are saying about his goofy outfits. Oh and the outcome! Thank god that guy backed off his comments! So worried about brads (what is he 21? 22?) year olds feelings! Just stop…

17. playmorezeppelin
    11:55 am February 8, 2019 Permalink

OK, I gotta just say it. From the outside looking in, Brad seems like a punk of a kid. If any of you all actually listened to the podcast, like I did, you would understand Titus wasn’t being that inflammatory and spent a lot of time talking good things about UK and the calipari family. AND what he said about Brad can’t really be argued. Even Brad’s response just screams irony. Every word in that tweet sounds like some kind of street slang that white people generally don’t use. Y’all can crucify me if you want just because he’s the coach’s son but I’m embarrassed to have him on our bench and of his social media.

• JDizzle14
      12:26 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

Well put……i cant disagree based on the very examples u just gave. Even tho i still have an issue with sports reporters who bring up things that can stir up racially-charged emotions or thoughts, you are not wrong abt Brad’s attitude/personality. Like u say, if u put it out there, then u open urself up to possibly bein called out. What he shouldve done is just not respond back, just be who u r and go fwd with that, dont worry abt what ppl say or think if ur secure in that……but i understand hes 20 yrs old, not 40. Thats just how it is for most kids at that age…..growth and maturity will come.

• catsarerunnin
      1:07 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

So Zepp you’re saying you don’t have a Whole Lotta Love for Brad C???

• playmorezeppelin
      1:27 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

You could say I’m dazed and confused by all the attention Brad gets lol.
      But JDiz, I totally agree. So many sports journalists love to make things a racial issue. Very uncool thing to do. I truly think Titus’s comment was pretty lighthearted though.

• catsarerunnin
      5:19 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

Maybe it would help if he wore more Kashmir…

• EdC
      6:08 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

He should just be happy every practice that he doesn’t get Trampled Underfoot.

18. bigblue2284
    1:21 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

Way too much time spent on an entitled rich kid. I’ve never been a fan of his he just screams spoiled brat to me. Hasn’t work for anything in life to this point including sitting on that bench.

19. MrPioneer
    1:39 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

I apologize to all of you whose lives are so boring you feel the need to criticize a 20 year old kid for the way he dresses.

• satcheluk
      1:59 pm February 8, 2019 Permalink

Don’t apologize. Give them your pity because they are effing pathetic.