Bracketology Update for your Saturday Evening

Troy Taormina | USA Today

Troy Taormina | USA Today

Troy Taormina | USA Today

Finally, we have almost gotten to the point where we can stop talking about Bracketology and instead worrying about the real deal. Until tomorrow evening, we are stuck with what the experts think.

ESPN- Joe Lunardi

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.08.24 PM

CBS Sports- Jerry Palm

FullSizeRender

Bleacher Report

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.17.04 PM

SB Nation

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.18.18 PM

USA Today

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.19.41 PM

Assembly Call- Andy Bottoms

Note: BracketMatrix.com has graded bracketologists on how accurate they have been. Over the past few years, this has been the most accurate.

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.22.09 PM

Some things I noticed:

1. Northern Kentucky is the most common first round matchup for the Cats. The Norse are making their first trip to the dance in their first year of eligibility.
  2. Kentucky is most commonly seeded in the South Region. (Memphis)
  3. Not that this surprises anyone, but everyone is sending the Cats to Indy for the First/Second round games. The only diversion is Jerry Palm, who believe Salt Lake City will be their destination. Why? I am not sure.
  4. Neither Duke nor Louisville is in any of the Cats respective bracket.

Overall, there are a lot of different looks for the Cats here. Of course, all of this is just speculation. I feel pretty good about Kentucky’s chances in most of these brackets. What do you think? Which bracket do you like the Cats chances in the best? Let me know in the comments.

@GormleyKSR

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

28 Comments for Bracketology Update for your Saturday Evening

1. tree_gardener
    10:23 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

My thing is with the tournament is that it’s a bunch of luck. I’ve never been too worried about seeding. The only thing that people remember is whether you win it or not. To win the title you will inevitably have to beat a good team. At this point I think it’s just a matter of going game to game and hoping for the best from our guards and seniors.

• NCkatfan
      11:26 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

Agree with you. But, after living here in North Carolina for three years and looking closely at the ACC’s elite competition every week, I objectively think Kentucky’s ceiling this year is Elite 8 at best, regardless of who’s in our bracket. To me, if Kentucky was in the ACC this year instead of the SEC, we would be 4th or 5th in the conference. One, North Carolina and Duke (especially) are peaking at high levels (Carolina would have beaten Duke had Joel Berry stayed in the game.) Then look at Notre Dame, Louisville, Florida State and Virginia. Yes, we “beat” North Carolina months ago, but so what? What counts is NOW. Am I being harsh? Not at all. Put the Karl Anthony-Towns team in the ACC that year and we’d have cut down the nets because we would have been maybe 35-3 (1-1 vs. Duke) and would have had the moxie to beat Wisconsin and then Duke for the title. I just think this year’s team is too inconsistent despite the current streak (against SEC competition), which stems from our players being too inconsistent. If you, again, look at Duke (and believe me, I HATE Duke), they have the perfect blend of experience…from seniors and juniors all the way down to the freshmen…and of course one of the smartest and greatest coaches of all-time (second only to Cal) :). As for my final piece of “evidence” that our ceiling is Elite 8, we just can’t seem to blow out anybody…every game’s a struggle of some type…Whew!

2. tmurphy
    10:28 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I just came fro NKU s arena mercer vs _______. I’ll take mercer

3. plumloopy
    10:39 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Last #1 seed with 7 losses? Has their been one? I think a lot of teams have a legit beef if NC gets a one seed. Seems like people had them penciled in and are unwilling to reconsider.

• Sam Gormley
      10:42 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

It has happened four times. 2000 Mich. St., 2001 Illinois, 2012 Mich. St., 2016 Virginia.

• plumloopy
      10:44 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

There

• plumloopy
      10:46 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I stand corrected. Still, it seems like a poll bias where people are unwilling to consider alternatives because they decided UNC would be a #1 seed three weeks ago.

• timbo
      8:57 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

I agree. It’s been my complaint EVERY projection. It took UofL losing 3 of 5 (6?) for them to finally drop. It’s ACC nonsense. Everyone has decided it’s the best conference, and it may be, but I think Carolina is MUCH less deserving than U.K., AZ, Oregon, or UCLA. Too much has been made of their regular season conference championship. Part of it has to do with regions (i.e. You can’t/won’t put AZ/UofO/UCLA in the south or east bracket). So they’re basically propping up UNC over U.K.; despite head-to-head and record, because of conference bias. I’m not saying it’s bias as in home-team rah-rah, just that it’s generally accepted the ACC has been the best conference. I disagree with that premise also.

• timbo
      12:18 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I’ll add to that, that Duke is being talked about by the talking heads at ESPN (aka the entire staff of Duke graduates that can’t play at the next level) because everyone is dead set on making an ACC team a number one seed. Throw the records, SOS, RPI, etc. out. All that matters is that the ACC has a one seed. Never mind that the top three teams in the PAC-12 are ALL better than the top three teams in the ACC.

4. maximumscott
    10:48 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Crazy how before the ACC tourny Duke was nearly ranked 20. 2 come from behind games and an average performance against ND and Bilas chalking them as a 1 seed?!?!? UK been doing the same thing except we have a 10 game winning streak. They beat UL and UNC and jump 4 spots ahead of us when they were previously 17th in the country…?!?!? Geeze. Can we all agree there is an ACC love fest.

5. maximumscott
    10:49 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Looking at how Duke is playing and I notice our D is much more pressure oriented at the point.

6. UKPROF
    11:01 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

If you can keep our pants on until tomorrow afternoon you’ll have ALL the answers, and THEN we can all meet up here again and bitch about the pairings.

• UKPROF
      11:03 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

…”your” pants, not _our pants, dropped the “y”, sorry ’bout that.

• catsarerunnin
      7:42 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

Drop your pants elsewhere.

7. maximumscott
    11:02 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Not so much that Duke won, but those other teams failed to close. Duke went through 10-15 minute periods with sloppy play and no defense. Same shit we do but for some reason its different when they do it. I kinda like UK flying low radar. No heads giving UK a title shot. Ok, then lets play this shit.

8. madman75
    11:05 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Duke wins and now there is talk of them being a #1 seed. No doubt. Duke can go from being ranked 14 to a 1 seed. No justice in this world.

9. So in other words, they all know about as much as me.

10. Rixter
    11:14 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I’ve no doubt Duke will be the overall # 1 seed. And I bet y’all didn’t know they are the first team to ever win 4 games in 4 days in the ACC tournament, did you? Bilas should have mentioned that.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Jay BIAS is an idiot, and his blatantly cheering for Dook is unprofessional. ESPN should fix him up with some pom-poms, some Dukie panties, and a little short skirt.

11. catsfan9508
    11:27 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Please give us Kansas as our 1 seed. I’d rather play them first. Just feel like UNC would come out pissed we beat them. Yeah I’m still confident though and really like our team. So much I’m cheesing 😬 lol

12. runningunnin.454
    11:28 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Enough with the bracketology; tomorrow we will see the real brackets when the real dumba$$es take center stage…your NCAA Selection Committee.

13. catsarerunnin
    7:50 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

dUKe is the best team in the history of the world! Let’s forget the whole tourney business and give them the trophy! They survived injuries,Coach K’s backache,the dochebaggery antics of Mr. Trippy and the Russians choosing our President! Come on people! They are WONDERFUL!!!!

14. CatManDo
    8:23 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

USA Today writer must be smoking crack. Minnesota as a 5 and Vandy as a 8? Way too generous.

15. 8xchamp
    8:38 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

Well the thing all these people have in common is they seem to forget UKs region is always stacked with about 12 top 25 teams and I’ll be shocked if our 3 isn’t ucla or losertown. If it isn’t ucla then there is no reason we can’t at least play for a final 4 spot.

16. Ken Grizzle
    9:17 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

My two predictions for tonight’s brackets are} #1- dUKe and NC will be positioned in favorable regions for a possible final four rematch and #2- Kentucky will have the hardest possible path to get to the final four.

That’s the way it’s been since ESPN/Duke have been selecting the brackets!

17. mazx222
    9:59 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand why we keep listening to Joey Brackets…he’s not good in comparison to many others.

18. mostdiggity
    12:42 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Double-speak and BS still order of the day…

I’ve heard some of the committee members say various things on the selection process, none of which served to garner any more confidence in them than does a “protection racket” offer to their clients. On the one hand I hear them say (once again) that THIS YEAR they will for sure be looking at the advanced metrics of guys like Pomeroy, Oliver, the ESPN BPI, sports-reference.com, etc. as an additional tool for their process. Yet, nothing they say since tells me that that is even remotely true.

One guy said that there is no “formula” this year and that “anything and everything can and will be considered”. Yet every talking head still talks about “good wins and bad losses” (which is not only limiting and unfair, it’s stupidity). I mean, aren’t all wins good and all losses bad? If this is about SOS issues, then squeaker wins and blow outs ought to be calculated differently, especially considering who the opponent was. I mean, a UNC 2-point home victory over Pitt should NOT be on equal footing as a 55-point away blow-out of Pitt by Louisville. Yet, here we are with our RPI dinosaur…

Carolina and Kansas now have lost to some very unworthy opponents (Indiana-9, Georgia Tech-12, Miami-15) on their otherwise very nice resumes and should be in danger of losing their 1-guarantee. But then, Gonzaga has a worse resume than all three of them (metrics-wise) and ought to fork over their “go West young man” 1-seed to Arizona.

To me, all things considered, Villanova is the only team safe with a 1-seed. Duke? Don’t even try on “body of work”, but they are as hot as anybody right now. The “metrics” bear out Kentucky as a 1-seed. Oh, that’s right they aren’t using metrics, except for things like parking revenue and popcorn sales.

UNC’s losing to Kentucky is OK, but aren’t they too vying for a one seed? While Kansas can make a case for beating Kentucky at Rupp, one need only look at the few losses they did take ( against Kentucky’s resume and factor in when that took place to factor in enough logic to give Kentucky their coveted mid-west one seed. Kentucky lost only to current AP poll #1,4,6,10, ranked and Tennessee. Tennessee? Yeah, a team who lost to UNC at The Dome by 2, Oregon-4, Gonzaga-10, Wisconsin-12 and beat Georgia tech by 13. Because… SOS? And, I can easily make the case for the SEC being stronger than the Big12 if you look at head-to-head games between the two conferences.

Locking in one seeds before tournaments could kill the golden goose of playing in tournaments if true. By this logic, it could be argued that Kansas losing to TCU in the first round may have been a pre-determined event; instead of winning some extra hardware, maybe using the time for rest and practice. What incentive did Self have to beat a team that lost to Auburn at home by 8 points? Losing a first round game to the lowest seed should require punishment, not reward.

And how about UNC? Last week Ole Roy put out that UNC wanted to play in the South Region. Did he know or just expect what was coming, and wanted to make sure the selection committee didn’t forget about UNC, even if they couldn’t see their way to the final? Could he foresee Kentucky winning the SEC and grabbing his 1-seed real estate while he was on a collision course with Duke?

If I were Calipari, I would be livid at the thought of losing an earned one seed because of the committee’s Sunday fraud and make it public knowledge every time a mic is stuck in front of him. Then again, they do play better in these thiongs with a chip on their shoulder…