Bracketology: Kentucky vs. Trae Young in the first round?

What would Kentucky’s seed be in the NCAA Tournament if the brackets came out today? Either a five out west or a six in Nashville. Joe Lunardi’s latest projections have Kentucky as the 6-seed in the Midwest Region playing the winner of the 11-seed play-in game of Oklahoma and Alabama:

While it’s only fitting that Kentucky would face Trae Young, this particular scenario won’t happen because the Selection Committee doesn’t like to pair teams in the same conference in the early rounds. Regardless, I hate that path even if it starts in Nashville.

CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm still has the Cats as a five-seed playing 12-seed Loyola-Chicago in San Diego with a potential second round game vs. Charles Matthews and Michigan:

Bracket WAG’s Shelby Mast also believes Kentucky will be the five-seed in the South Region beginning their run in San Diego:

Which bracket do you like best?

[mobile_ad]

19 Comments for Bracketology: Kentucky vs. Trae Young in the first round?

1. TJY
    11:13 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I would rather not play MSU BUT…you allow us a 6th seed playing a 3 seed MSU in NASHVILLE? Sign me up. MSU won’t travel to Nashville and even if they do we will have bought all of the tickets. This team could really benefit from some home crowds.

2. bishop310
    11:14 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Easy – Shelby Mast

3. luke_emberton
    11:19 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Please oh please put us in the East anything to play Virginia in the sweet 16 Knox would get wide open 3s and Virginia is not a good rebounding team

4. bradallen1
    11:20 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

NCAA rules won’t allow his bracket. We can’t play fellow SEC team Bama in the first rd

5. secrick
    11:20 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Okl does not belong in the trnt and i think Lunardi is stupid for having them in.

6. BBNDan7
    11:35 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I would be my life we play Murray St in the first round

• futrelljr
      12:03 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Murray State and UK have never been in the same bracket, doubt it happens now.

7. 96ChampionBestTeamEver
    11:42 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I would be shocked if UK gets to play in Nashville. Lunardi has UK verses the play in game of OK/AL which would be shocking, first to put UK in Nashville where they would have good crowds, and no way they potentially place two conference teams together that early. He also has Mich. State, NC, and Wichita St. waiting in the wings, the toughest bracket. He also has Duke in Charlotte and what appears to be the weakest bracket, can you believe it?

8. Jimi40
    11:46 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Wow! Looks like he is running out of ways to justify his job.

9. Aar
    11:56 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

The big deal to me is that I have fractional season tickets for UNC-Greensboro and could score tickets to see both teams back-to-back.

In the unlikely even that they both win, I’d have to root against my wife’s Alma Mater at the end of one of their best seasons ever.

10. Ukcatzfan2
    11:57 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

why is it that the SEC teams always seem to get bunched together while other conf. gets spread out evenly

11. Jiminy Crickets
    12:19 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

UK vs UL first round, 5 vs 12, in Boise. Only way to get fans to go to Boise

• ukbradstith
      12:26 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

That might be more stress than I could handle.

• Jiminy Crickets
      12:33 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Agree. Knowing NCAA, winner plays West Virginia

12. Swizzle
    12:24 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Oklahoma shouldn’t get in, and if we get Michigan in the second round that’s a problem.

13. TB112162
    12:58 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

This is just a prediction and this bracket when released won’t look anything like this

14. MadScientist
    1:06 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

Lunardi has my dream job! Let me make fictional brackets all year and then answer some questions on selection day about why the committee seeded it different.

1) I’ll be surprised if the SEC gets 8 teams.
    2) 2 SEC teams aren’t going to play in the 1st Round
    3) Purdue is a #3 seed, not a #2 seed
    4) Either MSU or Michigan will be in Detroit, probably both
    5) If Kentucky is a #5, look for the #4 seed to be either Gonzaga in Boise or Wichita St in Dallas

15. Decker
    1:14 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

If UL sneaks into the field the are certainly going to be a 12 seed. Zero chance they won’t be out first round game if that happens.