Here’s an odd note for tonight’s game: Bob Picozzi and Kara Lawson will call it, but not from the usual broadcasting spot court side at Rupp, but from the ESPN studios in Charlotte, North Carolina.

In an attempt to save money, ESPN has been experimenting with remote broadcasts over the past several months. The plan will save the Worldwide Leader millions of dollars each year, and has already been used for soccer games, tennis matches, and the X-Games.

While it may seem a little strange to you guys, it makes total sense to me. I cover games remotely all the time.

11 Comments for Bob Picozzi and Kara Lawson will call tonight’s game…from Charlotte, North Carolina

1. kvltclassic
    6:07 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

Everybody knows that ESPN is hurting for money. What about the poor sideline reporter all by themselves?

• catdaddyd
      11:38 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I hate sideline reporting, it brings nothing to the broadcast. Bothering a coach during the game or stopping him as he is going to halftime is just plain stupid.

2. leon singleton
    6:27 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

The Reds used to do their away radio broadcasts this way. the game was sent by ticker tape. I think W Hoyt was the caller.

3. syrin23
    6:34 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

Maybe if they would quit being political, they could keep viewers. I don’t need to hear about how I should love Syrian refugees while catching scores from the previous night, bunch of commie f’heads.

• Uk8rings
      10:04 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

Could not agree more Syrin. ESPN has become a joke. Every since the Espy’s and “Caitlyn’s” big courage win, I can barely stomach most of what I see.

4. Jaxson
    6:59 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

Since espn isn’t sending announcers, I wish ESPN would just contract the UK Sports Network and have Leach and Pratt do TV. Since, you know, they’re actually at the game………….

• catdaddyd
      11:32 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think the nation would care to have a Homer broadcast. What if they used the UCLA Homer announcers last week? You don’t think there would have been complaints.

5. UKnowMe
    7:05 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

ESPN has extremely overpaid for their latest NBA and MLB contracts, two sports they had little competition against.

6. 3dcatfan
    7:14 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

With all due respect covering and calling are 2 different things. Sometimes the announcers are able to give you some insight due to being there in the environment that they may not otherwise be able to do from a studio. They’re analysis is restricted to what they see on tv just like the viewers at home.

• catdaddyd
      11:34 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure they will have all the different camera shots and see just as much. No big deal.

7. bosshogg24
    9:35 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

The worst thing I have ever heard. It is about the same as Calipari stopping at a country grocery and feeding the team cheese and crackers to keep from getting them a real meal! How about having no announcers at all?