Bob Knight (Finally) Returns to Assembly Hall

USATSI

USATSI

Bob Knight is back in Bloomington.

The long-time head coach of the Hoosiers refused to return to Assembly Hall for a basketball game since he was terminated in 2000. This afternoon the three-time national champion finally buried the hatchet with Hoosier fans.

Standing next to dozens of former players, the 79 year-old Knight received a standing ovation during halftime of the Indiana-Purdue rivalry game.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

55 Comments for Bob Knight (Finally) Returns to Assembly Hall

1. 4everUKBlue
    4:01 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Nothing to see here, just another miserable old troll lets go of a long standing resentment.

4:02 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Good coach, miserable human being. Buck Fobby!

• lexattorney
      4:06 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

This was the sentiment of my childhood and youth except change “good” to “great.”

• lexattorney
      4:06 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

If you can’t appreciate what he did for the game and the University if Kentucky (by providing the best rival in the school’s history) you obviously are either too young to seen him coach, know nothing about basketball or both.

4:20 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

I can assure you counselor I’ve seen more of him than you have and he is a great coach and a miserable human being and if you can’t see that you’ve been an attorney getting felons off too long or your just blind or both.

• lexattorney
      6:00 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Show me where I said he wasn’t a miserable human being. I’ll hang up and wait for your response.

2. lexattorney
    4:04 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

This was long overdue and I am man enough to admit that actually turned on ESPoN to see it and even teared up a little bit. The reason I started playing the game was watching the UK/IU rivalry back in the day, especially during the Joe B years. Watching the intensity of the coaches back then and the toughness of their players was a thing of pure beauty and maybe 5% of today’s players could thrive in that environment. I guess that’s why I get so enraged watching recent (particularly THIS) Kentucky teams play timid and fail to absorb and finish through contact. Quickley and Richards are both breaths of fresh air, however. This team needs a tough-as-nails coach of that ilk who will, like they did back then, have them doing box-out and post-up drills every practice until every player was bleeding, puking or both.

• damage_control
      4:58 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Continue to root for NITIU then and give it a rest alreadybwith how “soft” recent teams play.

• damage_control
      5:02 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

You know NOTHING about what UK’s basketball players have on their shoulders. I dare say you’d fold in a heartbeat

• lexattorney
      6:01 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

As a former elementary, junior high, high school and college athlete I think I have a pretty good idea what is on their shoulders. Thanks for playing. Next!

5:07 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t met many attorneys who were much better than Bobby.

• desertCard
      2:55 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Don’t even try to reason with the people on here. Used to be you could have a good bball conversation. Now it’s just trolls and hate.

3. IrishCat
    4:07 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

I think he was actually going to hit Dicky V

• catdaddyd
      12:42 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

He did hit him back in the 90’s, during the filming of Blue Chips.

4. ukkatzfan
    4:20 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Great to see that he made it back to the school he built. Nothing negative that I know about the man. I have got to appreciate him for the legend that he is. I expect to pick up trolls and haters who never were a product of a Military academy of the 1960’s, a US Marine Corp Drill Instructor from 60’s/70’s or ones who just don’t realize it was a different time prior to the birth of the New World Order. He will always be The General to me.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      4:35 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Do they teach throwing chairs in a temper tantrum at the Military academy? Or what about threatening teachers and administration because a player is about to fail a class? Or how about bad-mouthing and trying to ruin a player’s life because he dared to transfer out? Just curious since I’m just a byproduct of this “new world order”.

• Heavy C
      5:05 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

“Nothing Negative That I Know About The Man”? Really dude? Choking players and throwing chairs…threatening students and faculty. Yea..Hell…You’re probably right. You F-ing Stoog. Only thing miss there today was me with a big ass water pistol.

5:06 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

All those things you detailed do not give him the right or a pass for being the miserable person he was and is. Or if I was a “product of a Military academy of the 1960’s, a US Marine Corp Drill Instructor from 60’s/70’s” does that mean I get to treat people like sh!t?

• ukkatzfan
      8:44 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I knew my viewpoint would pick up trolls. Foreverukblue. There is a difference between miserable and terrible. How do you know he is miserable ? Men like him were a dime a dozen back in the 60’s and 70’s. You are judging his public actions without knowing his full story, I say you are treating people like shlt

• ukkatzfan
      9:31 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

A comment stands on it’s own. A reply is a person’s feeble attempt to change the commenters mind. So, if you are going to comment questions probably should be asked.
      While Hiding behind KSR’s curtain of masked names, is it really that important that I voice my disgust against someone who likely lives in one of the biggest 10 towns in Ky or outside it’s borders while I live here in podunk Ky. Or if I live in Lexington, do I really ever have a chance of actually ever knowing this commenter who is hiding behind that stupid name on a personal level where he would actually affect my life. If not, wouldn’t I just be better off going out and knocking the hell out of golf balls. There are so many more questions to ask prior to commenting. If I didn’t spew hate or anything and showed compassion instead , why would you want to disparage an elderly retired man who lives 2 plus hours away from you near the school where most of your complaints occurred. In the chair game, did he get a T? Didn’t Cal recently say that he got a T that he deserved ? Slinging a chair 30 feet across a court that resulted only in a Knight furniture store joke is worst than a coach in all likelihood cursing a ref ?

5. Righteous1
    4:20 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

1975 UK vs Indiana in Dayton remains the greatest game that I have ever seen! Like him or not, he was the ultimate do more with less coach that I have ever seen!

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      4:38 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Do more with less? IU in the 70s and 80s had some of the most talented teams in history. That talent ran out in the 90s when he stopped getting top recruits due to his reputation of how he treated players, and the wins started becoming less frequent as well.

4:50 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Yep that’s how it was and refs were so intimidated by him he was worth 10 points. He threw chairs in games, choked his players and smacked coaches on the head. Great coach, miserable human being.

4:53 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

I still remember the year we played LSU 4 times, they had Shaq and a loaded team. Bobby was getting his @ss kicked until he slammed the telephone down on the scorers tabled and the refs started calling the game differently. He got away with a lot, just like his assistant K always has.

6. nocode96
    4:54 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Screw the old coot. Good coach? Sure. Good human being? Nah

7. damage_control
    4:57 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Indiana Twitter was quick to call out Knight’s apparent intensity on the sidelines but further examination revealed that he was just yelling for another bowl of soup.

• CrystalBall
      4:59 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

How many crackers?

8. Han
    5:02 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Thinking back to how out of it he was a few years ago when still calling games, I’m guessing he only agreed to return because he really just doesn’t even remember being the person who wasn’t going to go back.

• ClutchCargo
      5:13 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Agree. BK is one of those guys we all love to hate, but it was sad to see him paraded around just to fire up the fans and create a spectacle. He is clearly not even close to being all there at this point.

9. RealCatsFan
    5:14 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Now that Knight has returned to Ass Hall, can we get Tubby’s jersey retired? I think Tubby is in pretty good health, but these guys aren’t getting any younger, and you never know what the future holds. It would be much better to raise his jersey into the rafters with him standing there and the crowd cheering. Come on UK Administration, make this happen!

• dan1965
      5:00 am February 9, 2020 Permalink

Great coach,I give props for that,but if he ever touched my son,grabbing him around neck,choking him,he’d found me busting him upside his head. And no that isn’t internet keyboard talk !
      He got away with much of it in the old days,hell even today a drill sergeant can’t get away with treating recruits the way they did way back then! Lol
      These liberals today gave prison inmate carpet floors,and washers and dryers in facilities,and that’s a fact ! Lol no,its a different day now than back then! And I wonder if Bobby still wants buried upside down ?!!! Lmao !!!

10. desertCard
    6:55 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Have a little respect. Knight was one of the all time greats. He had intensity issues but one thing you can always say is he never cheated. Don’t have to like him but if you’re true basketball fans you’d show a bit more respect for what he accomplished. If you can’t then put on your pants and get out of your parents basement and get a life.

9:35 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Respect my @ss, no one here is disrespecting his coaching skills little buddy. Or can you not read? Might be time for you to get out of the trailer park and get an education. So you think it’s ok to choke players, throw chairs across court during a game and threaten people off the court? You really need to stop playing video games at grandma’s trailer and seek help.

9:37 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Take your ignorant @ss to the IU fan site and blow some smoke up their @asses.

• desertCard
      6:10 am February 9, 2020 Permalink

All basketball fans should have just taken it all in and been glad they got to see a bit of history and the reuniting of Knight with where he spent, what, 29 years? If it didn’t bring a chill to you then you can’t call yourself true basketball fans. But haters and trolls will always be just that. Even Rousch had to throw in his Pelosi moment of “It’s the biggest moment in Bloomington since the Wat Shot. Think they’ll put this on a popcorn box?” WTF is that for? Just a troll writer. There IS a world outside BBN. But that is his style.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      2:52 pm February 9, 2020 Permalink

His name is desertcard, you know the school that used hookers, so of course BK is his hero.

• desertCard
      3:04 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m a UK grad but since Cliff Hagen, as AD, told me my “minor” sport wasn’t a real sport I told him then and there I would never root for another UK team. That after 4 years of blood , sweat and tears on the field representing UK. So instead of 2 teams I stuck with the Cards who I grew up rooting for. I just like good basketball and the Knight story and appearance was something all basketball fans should appreciate. How can you hate on him like this? Most of you all probably never saw him coach and get your history from You Tube. Like hating on your grandfather. But of course Adolf Rupp (appropriate name), one of the most racist coaches ever, is your hero. And then you sell your souls to Cal for 10 years. With loaded lineups just one championship and a NIT loss to RM while farming 18 year olds to the NBA. Tradition doesn’t matter anymore. Knight’s players love him and that was evident. UK players now love Cal as long as he shows them the money. Otherwise… LOL

8:52 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

I would bet I saw more of him than you did, he was a miserable human being, he did choke a player and he did throw a chair across the foul lane and you’re an idiot. Why the fuk are you even on this site you fuking troll?

11. UKgrad80
    2:27 am February 9, 2020 Permalink

Wow first Rush Limbaugh honored now Bobby Knight who’s next Harvey Weinstein?

• Bluehender
      3:26 pm February 9, 2020 Permalink

Lol…line of the day..

12. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:28 am February 9, 2020 Permalink

IU celebrated by choking out the players and throwing chairs into the student section.

13. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:51 pm February 9, 2020 Permalink

You’re since of humor is the only thing worse than your troll attempts. [email protected] card fans.

• desertCard
      2:33 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

My “since”? lol

• desertCard
      2:51 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

This whole site is not a decent discussion of basketball, just a big blue circle jerk. Writers included.

8:59 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Why are you here? You’re a fan of a team that’s been caught redhanded cheating.

9:02 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

If you believe that desertcard, then it makes you an idiot for being here, maybe the desert heat has fried your brain.

14. RICKSVD
    4:41 pm February 9, 2020 Permalink

His human form was there, but mentally, he’s pretty much a retard.

• zoupman
      6:38 pm February 9, 2020 Permalink

This isn’t burying a hatchet. Knight doesn’t know where he is. IU made a puppet out of a once proud man. A jerk, but proud. Of course, this is the school that gave away sweet 16 rings.

9:00 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

That just happened to be the only place on earth he is wanted, karma is a bitch.

15. ukkatzfan
    8:48 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Heavy c. Throwing chairs is such a bad thing ? Threatening students and faculty is different from calling me a F-ing Soog and getting so upset that you make (what is to me) an incoherent statement ?

16. miggy911
    5:05 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

you talking about Mike Kwrysbxvnaeurbsky?