Board approves new Rupp Arena upgrades

@paulmhooper

@paulmhooper

@paulmhooper

Good news! The Lexington Center Corp. board approved upgrades to Rupp Arena in a meeting this morning, including a brand new center-hung scoreboard. It’s a two-year upgrade plan at an estimated $15 million, according to the Herald-Leader.

The plan also includes Wi-Fi, additional video screens and ribbon boards around the second tier of the arena. The new screens will provide more advertising opportunities to increase revenue that will eventually cover the installation costs.

RIP Big Bertha.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Board approves new Rupp Arena upgrades

1. theWilkman
    11:06 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully there’s room in there for a few gallons of blue paint to get that red duct work finally taken care of

2. UK62
    11:09 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

Finally! Any timeline for completion? I know it says 2 year plan, but any chance of having Big Bertha resting in pieces by this season? I did notice that scoreboards were gone on the second tier as if they were prepping for the ribbon boards at the Eagles concert. Not sure if its always like that though. Either way…great addition. Go Blue!

3. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:13 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

Some back support on the existing bleachers would be nice too.

4. Thatguy
    11:21 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully the ribbon boards will cover up the “Welcome to Rupp Arena” permanently stamped above the lower deck. The welcome sign should be painted above the doors entering the arena. Hopefully these $15 million dollar upgrades won’t be trashed when the area gets completely renovated in about 5 years. This does have a lot of similarities to the Commonwealth Stadium renovation schedule (scoreboard/ribbon board before the reno).

5. Danny
    11:40 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully they can include some air conditioning as well. The Eagles concert was very hot.

• Tim McSurley
      6:40 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Apparently, no A/C was a stipulation by Don Henley of The Eagles. I cannot fathom why Rupp Arena Mgmnt agreed to it. Lucky somebody didn’t die of heatstroke in there…………

6. asdf
    11:47 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

Maybe there should be an official retirement ceremony for Bertha at Big Blue Madness. Just as we raise banners, we should lower Bertha.

7. SayWha?
    12:03 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Band Aid on Something that needs stitches…

• BiggestCatsFanInOhio
      12:11 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Agreed, but at least they agreed to SOMETHING to start. Hopefully they can snowball this into something else.

• J-Dub421
      1:58 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Renovations cost money. Perhaps you’d like to donate 100 million or so. Then Rupp could undergo major renovations.

8. Ole seven
    12:04 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Big bertha always reminded me of a uvula.

9. BiggestCatsFanInOhio
    12:11 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Good riddance! I’ll kind of miss her a little, but man she needs to go!

10. Twick39
    12:21 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Auction off parts of it. As much as we hated it I’m sure people would be willing to fork over some cash to have a piece of it.

• Sylvar
      12:39 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

I was thinking the samething. As much as it was an eyesore, it would be pretty awesome to own a piece of it.

11. J-Dub421
    12:38 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Great to see this happening!! Going to the Yum center and then back to Rupp is quite depressing. At least this is a start

• Obvious
      2:21 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Then just stop going to Yum. Duh!

12. CuriousCat
    12:45 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

So…can anyone tell me where the name “Big Bertha” came from?? Just curious

13. Jeff
    12:58 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Games start in about 3 months. There is absolutely zero chance that thing is retired before this season starts. Roof upgrades will have to occur before they can hang a new scoreboard from the center of the court.

14. Big Bertha
    2:54 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

But I’ve had a center court seat to 39 years of Kentucky basketball. Players like Goose Givens, Kyle Macy, John Pelphry, Kenny Walker, Rex Chapman, Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk, Tayshaun Prince, Keith Bogans, Nazr Mohammad, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, and Anthony Davis have all played under my supervision. I have overseen the downfall of 25 NCAA attendance records. I have carried the voices of Cawood Ledford, Happy Chandler, and Jerry Lawler. I was there when John Cena beat Triple H and the Edge for the title. I was there when Tayshaun Prince said “screw it” and launched a 35-foot shot against North Carolina. I was there when the Wildcats got their 2,000th win.

Why don’t you love me?

15. Tim McSurley
    6:42 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

@ Big Bertha… We do! But if you love something, set it free…………..