Bo Ryan will retire after next season

In news that reminds me I’m still not over The Loss, Wisconsin announced that Bo Ryan will retire after next season. Rumors have been swirling on social media about Ryan’s retirement this morning, and he confirmed the news in a press release.

“Back in the spring, in the days after the national championship game, (UW Director of Athletics) Barry Alvarez and I discussed the possibility of me retiring,” Ryan said. “I’ve always been told tht is not a decision to make right after a season is completed. Barry Thankfully encouraged me to take some time to think about it and I have done that. I considered retiring this summer or coaching one more season.”

Coming off back-to-back Final Fours with the cupboard practically bare, you have to wonder why Ryan didn’t just go ahead and retire after this season, but I guess he wants a farewell tour. Just no more Final Fours, please.

[NBC Sports]

11 Comments for Bo Ryan will retire after next season

1. DavidPat
    2:24 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Bo Ryan has been a formidable opponent and I do wish him well.

2. #L1C7
    2:36 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Odds that Tom Jurich offers him the head coaching job at Louisville?

• ClutchCargo
      2:42 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

He’s too young and healthy looking for the U of L job.

3. nets on nets on nets
    2:37 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Maybe retiring due to the shot clock being shorter so his teams can no longer milk it????

4. Pat Forde's Creepy Uncle
    2:44 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I think its about time for John Calipari to retire and make a run at the White House! Whomever “talked him out of running” must hate America! Cal 2016!

5. BtownUKFan
    2:44 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Ryan pretended to have some ‘higher standard’ than other coaches when it came to recruiting. He has made a living off the backs of student-athletes just like everyone else in his position. Unfortunately, players going through his program have not experienced the same level of success as players under Coach Cal. I’m sure the fact two of his guys were drafted in the first round (one of them an underclassman) totally upset him and that is why he has decided to retire. I won’t miss him. I’m guessing little Ricky’s tenure at MN will be looking bad and he’ll be ready to move on so maybe he gets the job.

• Say It Ain't Bo!
      2:56 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

What did Ryan say intimating he has higher recruiting standards? Is it possible you’re confusing Ryan with the media that cover him? Serious question not an affirmative position.

• Say It Ain't Bo
      3:00 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Never mind. Just found an article referencing his “rent-a-player” comments. Pretty petty stuff in a sore loser moment in my opinion.

• J-Dub421
      3:07 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

@Say, after losing to Duke in the title game, Ryan made snarky comments about how his program doesn’t “rent players” in reference to one-and-dones. When in reality he does recruit those type of players, he just can’t get any of them.

Also re: Wisconsin’s graduation rates from the Boston Globe: “They have the lowest Graduation Success Rate for black men of zero and the third-lowest overall at 40 percent. They were one of 16 teams that should be disqualified for historically graduating less than 50 percent of either black or white players or having an overall rate under 50 percent.”

• Say It Ain't Bo
      3:38 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Thx for the extra info J-Dub. I’m guessing the Ryan rationalization would go something like this: “Well we make our kids go to real classes.”

6. Le Docteur
    4:00 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I hope he has a nice retirement. He’s a good X and O guy who, over a very long career, finally reached the pinnacle. Because he was old when he got there, the media Ray Meyer-ed him. Then it turns out that he wasn’t really ready for prime time. His bitter-old-man comments about rent-a-players and complaining about referees after losing the national championship game showed that he is closer to Bobby Knight than Bobby Hurley. Like a lot of bitter old men, he might well be hanging on one year too long.