Blackshear Jr. always on his toes, literally

(Michael Shroyer-USA TODAY Sports)

(Michael Shroyer-USA TODAY Sports)

Kerry Blackshear Jr. plays on his toes… literally. He can’t help it.

College basketball’s top free agent walks and runs on the toes of his left foot, his heel rarely touching the ground. It’s almost unnoticeable in live action on TV, but when you are looking for it, it is there and bizarre.

Blackshear Jr. explained his unique step in this interview:

He said it is the result of a freak accident he suffered in high school. But his father, Kerry Blackshear Sr., said he does the same thing and it is genetic.

Whatever the case, it is an interesting fact about a guy Kentucky fans are watching very closely this spring.

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Blackshear Jr. always on his toes, literally

1. symphonist41169
    12:25 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Seems like a good kid, but does his dad contradict everything that anybody has to say? Hopefully not another LaVar Ball.

• StillBP
      1:06 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Seeing as though this guy managed to graduate and we’re just now hearing about his dad, I’d say he’s no Lavar. He’s made it a few years at VT without his dad being the topic of national conversations.

• Soylentbeans
      7:40 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I was coming here to ask the same question. Maybe he is a type of guy who always needs to be right.

2. KayutsBy90
    12:31 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I’m starting to think Dad might be a bit high maintenance. I’d love to have Jr but if it doesn’t work out we might be for the best.

3. IrishCat
    12:47 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

A good habit for young players to pick up!

• Matt10
      4:18 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Yep. You beat me to it. Learning how to run on your toes puts the speed into another dimension.

4. chardun20
    1:26 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

So now when UK don’t get a recruit, if not Puke, it’s his dad’s fault.

5. UKBigBlueForever
    1:32 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

The dad did that out of respect for UK players testing the waters, why does everyone over-analyze everything??! He would be a HUGE get for us. He’s like an experienced EJ, or at least that’s kind of what I saw with the glimpses of him I have seen.

Who does everyone else think he compares to? Looks like he’s got great passing vision too.

• symphonist41169
      2:03 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Not sure what dad contradicting the freak accident story has to do with UK players testing the waters, but OK…

• UKBigBlueForever
      2:15 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

whoops. this is a case of too many articles opened at once on my computer. I got this one mixed up with the one that Calipari, in fact did meet with Blackshear. sorry symphonist, that was my mistake!

• UKBigBlueForever
      2:22 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

would be nice to be able to edit or delete your own comments.

• Luether
      3:57 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

“would be nice to be able to edit and delete all of your comments”…

6. kykid16
    3:32 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

This kid isn’t as bad as one referee that comes to Rupp who jogs up and down court on his toes, I can’t help but laugh at that guy!