BJ Boston, Terrence Clarke in second round of new mock draft

It is officially Stay or Go Season, which means mock drafts are back in our lives as we wait for Kentucky’s pro prospects to decide whether or not they’ll go to the NBA.

This morning, Sam Vecenie of The Athletic released his new mock draft, which includes three Kentucky Wildcats, but only one in the first round. Vecenie has Isaiah Jackson going No. 17 to Oklahoma City, BJ Boston No. 34 to Orlando, and Terrence Clarke No. 39 to Chicago. He only includes write-ups on players projected to go in the first round, but in the comments, provided this explanation on putting Boston at No. 34.

“He was better to close the season, last game not withstanding. I still think I’m quite a bit lower on him than where most people have him, and literally just wrote recently on this site that I think he should strongly consider a return to Kentucky.”

John Calipari referenced a two-year path when speaking about Boston at the end of the season, making the case for him to return for a sophomore year, improve his strength/physicality, and then go to the pros ala Immanuel Quickley or PJ Washington. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, of course, but Boston’s stock is something to keep an eye on over the next month.

To see Vecenie’s complete mock, click the link below (you’ll need a subscription).

[The Athletic]

14 Comments for BJ Boston, Terrence Clarke in second round of new mock draft

1. CombatMedic_98
    10:53 am March 16, 2021 Permalink

LOL.

• CombatMedic_98
      10:57 am March 16, 2021 Permalink

Sam V. needs to redo his STATS…NBA needs to stop RECRUITING/DRAFTING for about 2 years…!

2. michaelb
    10:53 am March 16, 2021 Permalink

He will have a big time revenge season when he returns for uk for a soph season . He’s got ‘it’ but just needs to unlock it .

• Mr.Incognito
      10:59 am March 16, 2021 Permalink

Okay, dawg.

• katmandue2you
      11:19 am March 16, 2021 Permalink

Revenge?

3. UKFanSC
    11:16 am March 16, 2021 Permalink

Personally I have not been able to convince myself that Boston is ever going to be an NBA player. Nothing in his skill set or physicality looks the part. Of course I said the same thing about Hamidou Diallo, so I may be completely wrong.

• HighBallScreen
      8:50 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

Well so these Lottery Picks we were always reading about didnt take into consideration the kid had to actually show up and play? I’ve never heard of such a thing!!

Even Devin Askew thought he was on a One Year Trajectory! Seriously this garbage is a complete JOKE! And it’s one part of Cals problem trying to get kids to work and listen. The day you sign at Kentucky somebody is throwing a Mock Draft up and it says your a One Year Guy. Without having ever played a game. Get real…..

4. bigbowdennation
    12:18 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

No way Clarke comes back. But if Boston came back, bulked up a bit this summer, and found some confidence he’ll be a lottery pick next year. Seems like a no brainer for him to return, but thought the same thing about EJ last year so we’ll see.

• channell
      3:26 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

How would you bulk Boston up. I remember McCarthy playing under Pitino was on a 10,000 calorie a day diet consuming milkshakes after milkshakes. Only age will add bulk to his frame. So he’s needs to offset the lack of bulk with game experience and maturity.

• SanDiegoDave
      11:02 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

Every one of these dudes should consider coming back or transferring. None are ready to compete at the next level above Euro ball (which isn’t a bad life, most likely). Regardless, if the NBA is their dream, then another year of CalBall won’t hurt their stock.

5. Trinity45
    12:50 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

I don’t see it but if some team is willing to pay them good money, then good for them.

6. MississippiBlue
    5:08 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

I really wish we could’ve had a healthy Clarke…he reminded me of a better/bigger version of Archie Goodwin.

7. BMO15
    9:24 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

Boston desperately needs to come back he doesn’t have a frame to get much bigger I believe but doesn’t mean he can’t get stronger and more use to the physicality of the college game. I just think it’d be better in the long run to come back and be the star on a contender which he could make Uk if mintz and Brooks also come back and improve I think he has the chance to actually be a lottery pick and make an nba roster rather than going in the early to mid 2nd round and potentially getting stuck in the g league. But I think we all know how this story ends.

8. bluecrowe
    4:09 am March 17, 2021 Permalink

Finally the correct assessment. I have news for Boston. He needs to focus on going to class. His future in America will not be as a basketball player.