Billy Gillispie is retiring from college basketball

Joe Robbins | Getty

Joe Robbins | Getty

Joe Robbins | Getty

Breaking news from Ranger, Texas: according to Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News, Billy Gillispie is retiring from college basketball. Gillispie, who was fired from Kentucky in 2009, just started his second season at Ranger College, his alma mater. Last year, Ranger went 31-7 and advanced to the semifinals of the National Junior College Athletic Association tournament, but had to forfeit all of its wins for using an ineligible player.

Gillispie cited health issues as his reason for stepping away from the game.

“I’ve been very sick with blood pressure issues since the summer, but I’ve tried to fight it out,” Gillispie said in a statement to the Dallas Morning News. “I got a report Monday that told me if I didn’t address this blood pressure situation immediately, irreversible, bad things were very likely to happen here relatively soon and my long-term health could be compromised.”

Here’s hoping Billy gets the help he needs.

[Dallas Morning News]

7 Comments for Billy Gillispie is retiring from college basketball

1. UK Big Bored Update
    7:25 pm December 7, 2016 Permalink

I hope Billy Clyde’s health improves soon. And I wish him well; hopefully, he can regain his health and rejoin the coaching ranks – or continue his passion for the game in some other capacity.

2. keiths
    7:38 pm December 7, 2016 Permalink

And i have a bridge to sell you…..

3. EdC
    7:43 pm December 7, 2016 Permalink

Rare condition called Lastditchefforttosalvagemycareerdidn’tworkitis.

4. ZombieLibrarian
    8:20 pm December 7, 2016 Permalink

I’m grateful to this day for Billy Gillispie. Had he not been such a total nightmare, there is no chance Barnhart would have ever felt the pressure necessary to take the ‘gamble’ of bringing Cal here.

5. lribookend
    10:50 pm December 7, 2016 Permalink

Billy G. was a horrible coach at UK. But he had many demons, which he still fights today. Young people may not understand.. But Coach Rupp, Coach Sutton, and coach Gillispie all had demons to fight. Very high stress jobs, very well compensated, in the limelight every minute of ever day, no privacy, no patience, just piranha who want to win every game by 40 points. Judge not ye who wish no judgment against themselves. .

• catdaddyd
      11:41 pm December 7, 2016 Permalink

Sutton and Gillispie were drunks, what demons did Rupp have?

6. Papa G
    8:32 am December 8, 2016 Permalink

I worry about Billy no longer having basketball to rein him in a little bit. I wish him the best.