Billy Donovan won’t guarantee he’ll be back at Florida next year

Sports_sp_dono_1692801

The news isn’t all football down at the SEC Meetings in Destin. With several NBA teams courting him, Florida head coach Billy Donovan said yesterday that while he’s committed to the Gators, he can’t guarantee he’ll be back in Gainesville next season:

“I think when you start making guarantees about life and start making guarantees about where you’re going to be, that’s not good because if for some reason I ever change my mind and did something, I wouldn’t want (people) saying, ‘Well, he promised, he guaranteed, he said this on record,'” Donovan said. “I just think when you start doing that, that’s a mistake.”

Last week, Donovan said he’s been in contact with several NBA teams, the Cleveland Cavaliers reportedly being one of them. With Kyrie Irving and yet another number one pick in their pocket, the Cavs are looking pretty appealing right now. Donovan admitted as much yesterday:

“All I can say is I love Florida, I’m happy here … the school’s been great to me,” he said. “But at the same point, some of the NBA stuff, as I’ve said before, is intriguing in a lot of ways — the basketball part of it. That’s not to say that I’m unhappy here; that’s not the case at all.

Considering Florida lost its best players this season and will never be a true “basketball school,” I wouldn’t really blame Billy for making the jump. But man, SEC Basketball will be a little weird without him.

[ESPN]

34 Comments for Billy Donovan won’t guarantee he’ll be back at Florida next year

1. a
    10:51 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I hope Donovan stays. The SEC needs its name coaches to stay competitive as a league.

• Gap Tooth Danny
      2:09 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Agree, and this story smells of one of Jerry Tipton’s favorite ploys: “it must be true because HE DIDN’T SAY IT WASN’T TRUE!”

2. Steve
    10:54 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Grab your ankles Foley cause here comes Billy with another salary increase and extension.

Can’t sell out a 12,000 seat arena but once a year but the every year dance with the NBA get’s the kid the cash he needs.

• sniff sniff
      11:05 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Agree, this just sounds like s PR plot for more $$$.

• Charley Reasor
      11:35 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Billy is a tease pony. Please remember that he played coy with UK before.

3. Bobbaloo
    10:58 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I applaud him for giving an honest response. *golf clap*

4. Jughead
    10:58 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Eddie Munster grew up.

5. hersheyisabear
    11:09 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I can’t for the life of me understand why anybody would want to coach in the NBA.

• Haha
      11:39 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

An unimaginable pay increase.

• Reality
      12:21 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Unless you’re at UK, then you make significantly more than most NBA coaches.

• DS
      12:52 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Just the chance to coach the greatest players in the world competing at the highest level.

• Haha
      12:56 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

True, “Reality”, but that is mostly small market teams. Places like L.A. or Miami could and would offer about double the 5.4 million that he brings in now. Plus even more lucrative bonuses than he gets here.

• eddie vedder
      4:03 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Never having to recruit, deal with parents/boosters, and get paid more maybe?

6. No Bull
    11:09 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

When are the results from the Rupp poll going to be posted? Or did I miss something?

• Haha
      11:40 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

The pooll gave the results as you toke the poll. These are the kind of people that voted? geez.

• Incorrect Sir
      12:31 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

The poll did not give the results after you took the poll. It stated the results would be put in a post after the voting was complete. Did you even take the poll? You may want to go “toke” something else again.

• Haha
      12:57 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

I see I am being impersonated.

7. amirite
    11:11 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

ya know what would be a real d!ck move? if he took the job and then went back to florida

8. Harry Balsagna
    11:17 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

the real dick move would be to go to the NBA and then return to coach for their in state rival, fsu….

9. Rex
    11:29 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

My sources say Cal to Florida… #DoneDeal

10. Troy
    11:31 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

If BBN remembers….. He did this before….lol

11. Big Mike In The Wood
    11:32 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I don’t want him to go. Then we’d be the only SEC Team in the NCAA tournament.

12. JR
    11:54 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Ploy or not, I have yet to see a serious college basketball coach, in recent memory, do well at the collegiate level then expect to do great at the NBA level. You go from coaching athletes to prima donas and whiners that have more money than they know what to do with. They don’t give a heck about anything and only listen to the coach as he is managing their personalities.

Stick with the SEC Billy or at least stay in the college ranks. College basketball coaches are so much better at what they do than the pros. Just ask both Rick Pitino and Coach Cal…they both tried and screwed up, yet the are the best at what they do at the collegiate level.

13. KY_Tom
    12:12 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Like it or not, Billy is the Dean of the SEC..That use to be UK’s role with life time coaches like A Rupp and J B Hall. Still, I would say Billy has that same dream now as he had when he played in college. To make it at the next level in the NBA…If not as a player, a coach..It seems that every college coach goes through this, and must always fight that dream off year after year, rather to give in, and take that one last shot of completing a life long dream. In the UK coach’s place, Cal tried it once, just like ex UK coach Pitino did, and both failed big time. I believe when guys like Billy Donavon see’s guys like that fail at the NBA level, it has to make him think more about never trying it..The problem with coaching in the NBA, is the money..If you took away the cash the players make, I think just about any coach would have success coaching in the NBA..Other wise , its full of a bunch a guys who think they are the best money can buy, when in fact, many are just over paid piss poor players and are only there for one reason. They have contracts worth more money than they need… At this point in time, I say Billy Donavon WILL BE BACK AT FLORIDA NEXT SEASON……To many guys like him have tried and failed, and no way does he want to be on the list…..jmho

14. Reality
    12:26 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

The good: Billy D moves on to the NBA, UK is king of the SEC mountain for the foreseeable future like Kansas has owned the Big 12 for the last decade.

The bad: Being king of a mountain of $h!t still makes you a king, but not a respected one. In a George RR Martin story you’d be killed off after about 4 pages.

15. UKBlue
    12:34 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Billy the Kid: NBA teams are desperate & really don’t trust him & UF Fans could really careless about basketball. Billy wouldn’t be a good NBA coach.

16. YouDoneDidIt
    12:43 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

First off dumb move for any coach that wants to have committed players. Let’s not forget in the NBA you see players play hard only come playoff time most of the time its half ass basketball. So Billy if you want commitment stay where you are. The SEC is getting better give Martin the time to build he’s a hell of a coach but just needs players at SC. Pearl is now at Ole Miss and unless he became lazy he will for sure be good and we all know Vandy will be back soon. Yes we need more schools to commit to basketball just like we recently committed to our football program(season ticket holder here since Tim Couch days) but it is happening and I think you will see the SEC in 10 years as a loaded basketball conference not powerhouses but more talented teams then you’ve ever seen.

17. Bill
    1:06 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Pearl is at Auburn

18. Patrick Quinn
    1:59 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Funny, a little over a month ago you were suggesting the Coach Cal was going to the Lakers…gossip much? Maybe take a page from Dragnet…just the facts ma’am…..

19. bluegrassstu
    2:10 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

As a Cleveland fan, I hope this happens. It might make the SEC weaker in matters of basketball, but hey football is a better sport and the SEC rules football.

20. WERD-HALLATCHEW
    2:38 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

The ” Money ” isin’t what would motivate him . It would have to be the challenge of the ” Next level ” Athletes . I want him to stay to help the league maintain SOME credibility . Both Tenn and Missouri are going to have a serious drop in coaching and recruiting for the next few years. So that gives us a shi#%ier RPI to go along with it . Jus sayin

21. Melvit
    5:29 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

He gone.

22. Bill H
    6:59 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

If LeBron goes to Cleveland or where ever, Billy D will go. Irving point guard, number one draft and LaBron sound like we have a winner.

23. EdWolfe
    8:10 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

So FL will never be a “basketball school?” What an ignorant statement. I guess we should say to Stoops UK will never be a football school, so you should hop the next train out of town.
    If I recall correctly, when Donovan won his 2nd NCAA championship in a row, he also lost all his best players, He seemed to recover.
    We should all hope that Donovan stays. The SEC has turned into an embarrassing basketball conference, and losing one of our best coaches would not help.
    Mrs. Thompson, I think you write too many blogs. You need to write fewer of them, so you can think before you write.