Bill Self says there’s no update on Silvio de Sousa

Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports

What’s the latest on Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa? The sophomore has been held out all season after Adidas consultant TJ Gassnola testified during the college hoops trial he paid De Sousa’s guardian $2,500, but last week, the Jayhawks declared him ineligible in hopes of getting the NCAA to reinstate him. This morning, Bill Self was asked for an update on De Sousa, whom the NCAA could reinstate at any moment, and said he’s heard nothing.

“I haven’t heard anything new. We’re still holding out hope but I haven’t heard anything new.”

By declaring De Sousa ineligible, Kansas formally acknowledged that a violation took place and accepted the punishment, which, in this case, would be De Sousa sitting out 30 percent of the team’s games. So far, he’s sat out 19 games, exceeding that amount. He’s been practicing with the team all season and could help fill the void left by Udoka Azubuike, who suffered a season-ending wrist injury earlier this month. Last season, De Sousa averaged 4.0 points and 3.7 rebounds in 8.8 minutes per game. He had a career-high 16 points and 10 rebounds in Kansas’ win over West Virginia on March 10.

The fact that the NCAA is dragging its feet on this isn’t surprising; however, would anyone be shocked if De Sousa was miraculously reinstated right before Saturday’s game?

[mobile_ad]

9 Comments for Bill Self says there’s no update on Silvio de Sousa

1. KYjellyRoll
    11:34 am January 24, 2019 Permalink

Would not be shocked at all. Matter of fact, he will likely be declared eligible late tomorrow evening or early Saturday morning. I do wonder if Coach Cal is preparing the team as if he will play? Anything on that?

2. RealCatsFan
    12:10 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

Ha! I would bet the farm on that one.

3. Kat4Life
    12:34 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

I can almost predict it will happen.

4. BlueBanker18
    12:38 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

Bring it on.I don’t want Kansas to have any excuses (minus Azubuike’s injury) when we hopefully hand them the L on Saturday. He served the penalty, make it right. If we truly are where we think we are as a team, his presence on the court shouldn’t be the make or break.

5. J-Dub421
    1:56 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

Kansas arranged payment to De Sousa to get him to go to Kansas. If that’s not paying for a player, then I don’t know what is. He should never play for them again, and they should vacate any games he played for them last season.

• RealCatsFan
      2:09 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

Yep – I guess UK should have just paid Enes Kanter directly. That would have made him eligible, right?

• RealCatsFan
      2:10 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

Self seems to be made of teflon – the poo has hit the fan at KU and sprayed in his direction, but it always seems to slide right off of him.

6. Headhurts
    4:09 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

If De Sousa plays any this year and the ncaa does’nt respond accordingly when it’s their turn, that tells me the NCAA is officially poop, the end, disbanded.

7. StuckinLville
    5:59 pm January 24, 2019 Permalink

He shouldn’t be allowed to play period and every game he did last year should be vacated.