If you missed the news yesterday, there’s an investigation underway at Kansas into the alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl, which took place between December 17 and 18 at McCarthy Hall, the men’s basketball dorm. The police report names five Kansas players as witnesses: Frank Mason III, Mitch Lightfoot, Lagerald Vick, Tucker Vang and Josh Jackson. Bill Self told reporters today that he and the KU Administration are cooperating with the investigation, which has been going on since mid-December, and so far, he hasn’t received any information that would warrant a suspension; however, Self did admit that the investigation’s been a major distraction in the lead up to Saturday’s game in Rupp.

“It’s not a distraction, it’s a major distraction. Certainly most importantly, I think sometimes in general when you talk about distraction, you look at it how it affects us, but more importantly, there is an obviously very serious alleged allegation that has been made. So that trumps figuring out how to guard (Kentucky’s Malik) Monk or (De’Aaron) Fox, to be real candid with you. So yeah, sure, it’s been a distraction, and one that we’ll deal with and our players will deal with. It’s not what we want to do, but certainly there is a requirement at this point in time.”

Today, the Jayhawks practiced for the first time since the news was made public, and Self admitted that he doesn’t know how they’ll respond on Saturday.

“Well, I think that — we met yesterday, so we played Tuesday, we met yesterday, and didn’t practice. So we’ll practice today, and certainly I’m a little bit uncertain of how we’ll respond, to be quite candid. I know that there are some people that aren’t real happy right now that will, I’m sure, use the basketball court as a way to kind of get away from the distraction. But how we’re going to respond, I don’t know that I have an answer for that. I know that our guys will be excited to play. This will not be an excuse if we don’t play well, and it won’t be a motivating factor if we do play well.”

Suddenly, issues like Malik Monk’s tendency to showboat don’t seem so important.

11 Comments for Bill Self admits alleged rape in Kansas basketball dorm is a “major distraction”

1. Big Kat
    6:54 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

Self wants people to feel sorry for him and the players having to deal with a distraction? What a tragedy for them.

Or did I read that incorrectly, that a 16 year old was raped? You’d think that would have at least accidentally slipped into his mind at some point. What an asshole.

2. jaws2
    6:59 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

Well, at least he’s “candid” about it. He throws that word around pretty easy.

3. david8577
    7:58 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

If a 16 year old was raped, they need to be distracted. That girl’s father might come take a pound of flesh out of their starting lineup.

• Bluebros
      9:53 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

“allegedly” raped. I would think the BBN would be careful to assume guilt, (aka Chuck Hays, Tubman). Without knowing the details, there isn’t much to say about the topic. Self was asked about it and of course he had to respond. I didn’t see this as anything other than fessing up that Kansas is going through some S**T.

4. Kevin C
    9:10 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

“Distracted” is NOT the word I’d have expected the leader of a top-tier athletics program (who isn’t named Rick Pitino), in reference to the impact the alleged rape of a 16 y.o. girl, potentially by members of your team, had on you.

Dismayed, (in) disbelief, disappointed, disheartened, discouraged, dishonored…hell, there’s literally dozens of words he could (should) have used besides “distracted”. What a class-A douchebag.

• Bluebros
      10:01 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

?? For all you know it could have been the janitor. If a 16 year old girl is in a men’s basketball dorm then it isn’t a good look. Someone messed up, regardless if there was a crime or not. I would think that IF there was creditable evidence that a crime was committed by a KU player, said player would not be playing until the completion of the investigation. It would be a PR nightmare trying to justify why he was allowed to play.

Between UNC academic fraud, Duke’s tripping psychopath and KU’s underage raping problem, “Sleazy Cal” is looking like a saint. If being called cheaters is the worst thing they can throw at us, I’d say we’re doing pretty good compared to our “Blue Blood” brothers.

5. Bluebros
    10:03 pm January 26, 2017 Permalink

I can picture it now… KU goes to the FT line,

Rupp Left “No”
    Rupp Right “Means”
    Rupp Left “No”

That would be stone cold blooded!

6. Catsby80
    7:57 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

A lot of people ready to go ahead and assume guilt on here. Should I remind you all of the Tubman case? What about the Duke Lacrosse team? Let the facts present themselves and then pass judgement.

• symphonist41169
      8:10 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

A voice of reason in the KSR comment section???? Where the hell am I, and who stole my computer?

• Catsby80
      8:43 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

kind of refreshing, huh?

7. meeksfor3
    8:24 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

What exactly is an “alleged allegation”? So he is saying they supposedly made this supposed claim? Sounds nobody knows who did what at this point just a lot of finger pointing and accusing.