Barbee Watch: One Georgia State candidate dropped from consideration

The odds of Tony Barbee leaving for Georgia State might’ve gone up today.

We learned yesterday that Barbee is one of three candidates in the mix to take over for Ron Hunter at Georgia State. Today we learned one of the other two candidates, Boston Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry, declined an invitation to interview for the job. The Boston Globe’s Adam Himmelsbach shared that news on Twitter.

So if it is true that Georgia State was down to three names and one of them has been tossed out, it leaves only Barbee and NC Central head coach LeVelle Moton.

I have no idea if Barbee is even interested in leaving to coach Georgia State, but it is something to watch in the days ahead. It’s no secret he is interested in one day becoming a head coach again.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Barbee Watch: One Georgia State candidate dropped from consideration

1. Big Sexy
    11:36 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Haven’t there been rumors that he’s been somewhat of a detriment in recruiting? I thought I read that some recruits were put off by him. I could be mistaken.

• GoCayuts
      12:06 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Bring back Coach O!!!!

• He may have improved since Auburn, but I live In Montgomery, AL, and it is well known that he was horrified at the PR part of coaching. That being the case, I can’t imagine he’s the recruiter we need. When they brought in Sweaty Bruce, they found the exact opposite of Barbee in that respect. It was the same when we replaced BCG with Cal.

One local talk show host who is connected to Auburn says Bruce is always in the cafeteria glad handing and asking students “Coming to the game tonight?”. Barbee NEVER did that kind of thing.

• Horrible, not horrified…

• ClutchCargo
      3:22 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Horrified kind of works there, too.

2. gasman01
    4:43 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

If he goes, let’s offer Bryce Drew the position.

3. CoachCat
    5:55 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Never been a fan of his. We could have a much better assist

4. minton22
    7:09 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

John Pelphrey, maybe? Not sure about his recruiting abilities though.

5. friendsofcoal
    1:15 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

I would be happy with Coach O or John Pelphrey as his replacement.