Bam Adebayo to Calipari: “You may want to tell them to throw me the ball”

USATSI_9835405_154849602_lowres

Bam Adebayo had 21 points tonight off 7-8 from the field, and any Kentucky fan that watched that game knows Bam needs to get the ball more for this team to succeed. John Calipari said his guards not getting the ball to Bam was one of several problems Kentucky had offensively tonight, and at halftime, he put his foot down.

“We wouldn’t throw Bam the ball until I said at halftime, ‘That’s it, you either throw him the ball or you’re coming out.’ Again, let me say this, doing what’s right for the team isn’t always right for you personally. And it’s an area we’re going to have to work on.”

Bam was getting so few touches early on that the freshman came over to Calipari and said something about it, prompting Cal’s halftime ultimatum.

“Bam, at some point, I don’t know if you saw me laughing, he walks over and said, ‘You may want to tell them to throw me the ball.’ And I had to laugh. We were down, and that’s what he said to me. And a halftime, I said, ‘That’s it.'”

So, are Kentucky’s guards being selfish? Not exactly. According to Cal, his three guards have a terrible case of hero syndrome. Instead of coming up with a play involving their other teammates on the court, they’re trying to do everything themselves individually.

“It’s not that we have selfish guys. They’re just playing, just playing versus, okay, what are we trying to do each trip down,” Cal said. “And the pass they want to make is the hero scoring pass. We’re not playing how we were playing two weeks ago. Maybe we got arrogant. Again, it comes back to what I’m accepting as a coach. And obviously I’m accepting this kind of play from young kids and I’ve gotta do a better job and I will.”

Thankfully, there’s time.

“This is going to be a tough road and it’s a tough learning thing. The good news is, it’s still January. That’s what’s great. This is not college football. This is get your team right.”

12 Comments for Bam Adebayo to Calipari: “You may want to tell them to throw me the ball”

1. A_Blue_Wildcat
    12:31 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

The more I watch this team the more it feels like we just have three guards playing for pro scouts instead of playing as a team to win the game. Like even in games where they have a ton of assists it still feels like they force up more bad shots than making easy passes.

• T-wah
      12:48 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Your feelings are correct. Monk is all for himself. Briscoe is a head case right now. Fox is usually really good, but he was off tonight. Beyond those 3, the biggest concern is lack of individual or team defense. Cal has to find some way to break their me-first mentality or we’re going nowhere.

• Luether
      12:49 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Like Cal said, coaching is definitely a factor in all this…

• THE William Hill
      11:38 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

And Cal is 8-2 vs your coach. I guess Pitino sucks ass. I mean, he does have 4 losses so far this year, and can’t get them up into the top 5.

There goes any chance at a good seed this tournament. 😉

2. trumpetguy
    12:50 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

LOT of interaction among the players and it looked like a lot of it wasn’t of the “positive nature”. Plus I mentioned this about 5-6 games back, even after wins, several guys really seem to be getting tired of “assertive verbal coaching” (wink/wink), making faces/turning away from Cal, etc. Shot selection still a big issue, (contested 3s that go in are Fools Gold), defense under their own basket is really bad on in-bounds plays….and don’t forget UK had both Anthony Davis and KAT in years past and neither was a focal point on offense! Don’t have any reason to believe Bam will ever be anything more than a complimentary player who is leading rebounder, but not relied upon to score much. UK continues to struggle in half court sets…..reduce our fast-break points/points off TOs….and they don’t seem to have a reliable option to score when needed.

• shendo
      1:17 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Could not agree more with the assertive verbal coaching. Screaming ‘PLAY’ and ‘Why did you do that’ and all the other useless tirades- randomly pick half a dozen people three rows behind the bench they could come up with that. How about coming up with something constructive. How about reacting to what the other team is doing. How but grabbing a clipboard and drawing up a play.

I’ve gone back and watched replays of him at Memphis and early on here before the championship and he was not like that.

3. shendo
    1:00 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

When the paint is clogged with defenders you can’t force it inside. Did we not learn that from the Wisconsin game? Also Bam is not always great at establishing position for the pass which leads to a turnover.

Where the hell is the dribble drive where the bigs move out to make space in the lane? This team is perfect for that offense.

Why was it OK for Davis to not have to be a low post focal point for the offense but Bam, KAT, Randle, Skal (until Tyler told to cut it out) all have to be? Is Bam slipping in the draft projections? Bam has a great midrange shot. KAT could hit from anywhere. The kicker there is Minnesota drafted him because of that not his low post game.

How about Bam focusing on rebounding. He is never in position to rebound. If he gets double figure rebounds I guarantee he gets double figure points. This team needs rebounding. If he consistently gets 12 and 12 both he and the team will succeed. That’s team and player first. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

4. Bill the Cat
    6:55 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Selfish guard play -check
    Coach arrogance/reluctance to play a zone when guys getting beat off dribble -check
    AAU guards that have very little bball IQ -check
    Briscoe dribbles too much and passes too late -chech
    Coach leaves in Monk despite him jacking up bad shots at critical times -check

Hawk and Willis look like they have the best feel for the game right now yet Cal screams at them for nothing sometimes and yanks em out for even less. Cal didnt even look at Willis when he hurt his knee last night. I bet if it were one of his precious 1-and-dones he would run out on the floor checking. He’s a good recruiter but damn his arrogance ticks me off! Mix up the defense! Sit the frosh that jacks up the bad shot continuously! Do something other than to blame it on youth bc you put yourself in that situation EVERY year!

• Catsby80
      8:27 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I agree that Hawkins has a pretty good feel for the game right now, but come on man. Willis has not played very well since conference play started. He’s averaging 6.6 points in conference games this year and he’s a complete liability on defense. He’s giving up more points on defense than he’s scoring. Just because he’s a Kentucky boy doesn’t mean you have to make excuses for him.

• Bill the Cat
      4:54 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Not sticking up for them b/c of their state of residence. But I think Cal could change defenses (zone?)when Willis in in and maybe that would help. Fox continually gets beat on defense by letting the guards drive the lane. Snyder was in the lane all day. Does he pull Fox? Let Willis shoot as much as Monk…..will he still avg 6.6? statistics can be misleading but I know what I see. Last night just wasn’t our night and I get very frustrated with Freshman mistakes! Just wasn’t our night. Even Briscoe missed a couple of layups. Leave the lineup as is but our coach must lose some of his arrogance and learn to play differently based on the personnel he has on the floor.. EVERY coach in the history of bball has done that. But maybe Cal knows something they didn’t.

5. 8xchamp
    10:19 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

It’s January people stop with the freak out, they’ll be fine. This is how you learn.

• THE William Hill
      11:39 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Trump supporters, man. They’re knee-jerk reaction idiots that think they know it all.