Bam Adebayo declares for the draft but will NOT sign with an agent

UF-8981

Turns out the rumors were true. Kentucky just announced that Bam Adebayo will submit his name for the draft but will NOT hire an agent, which means he will have until May 24 to decide whether or not he wants to stay in the draft or return to Kentucky.

“This process we went through at Kentucky was a tough but a rewarding one,” Adebayo said. “It was everything I wanted when I decided to come to Kentucky. It taught me a lot. It taught me how to be a better man on and off the court. I have improved so much since the beginning of the season thanks to the hard work of the coaching staff. They helped me with every step of the process along the way and they never gave up on me.

“I want to thank my teammates. I couldn’t have asked for a better group to grow with. We were all like brothers. I also want to thank the fans for their support and everything they do for us. Their passion is like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

“I feel I’m making the right step in declaring for the draft, but I want to be absolutely sure that I’m making the right decision for me and my mom. I’m looking forward to the process and I appreciate the support of the coaches, my teammates and the fans. No matter what happens, it’s been an unbelievable ride.”

Adebayo is the third Kentucky freshman to declare for the 2017 NBA Draft following De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk earlier this week. This year, he averaged 13.0 points and a team-best 8.0 rebounds per game. He also led the team in blocks per game (1.5) and double-doubles (eight), including five double-doubles over his last 11 games.

“Bam was our hardest worker this season,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari said. “You’re talking about a player who can guard all five positions, has more perimeter skills than people know, and someone with size and a physique that immediately translates to that league. Bam is a great kid with a ton of upside. Should he decide to stay in the draft, he will be an outstanding four man in the NBA. Every organization needs character and Bam is a high-character kid who only cares about winning.”

Again, Bam will have until May 24 to decide whether or not to return. Right now, he ranges anywhere from 19th to 30th in the major mock drafts. He’ll likely get the bulk of his feedback at the NBA Draft Combine, which takes place May 9-14.

So now, we wait.

29 Comments for Bam Adebayo declares for the draft but will NOT sign with an agent

1. Sentient Third Eye
    10:16 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

Bam is good enough that he will end up around the late-lottery/early non-lottery,meaning he will both stay in the draft and make a decent team.

2. Cmart0907
    10:27 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

If he comes back and add low post offense to his game he can be a top 10 pick in the next draft. He is so use to dunking everything that’s all he knows. Just seems like he has bad court awareness.

• theWilkman
      12:29 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

This is the opposite of what he should do if he comes back. He will play the 4 in the NBA. If he returns, he will need to show improvement in his perimeter game to move up the board. Think Patrick Patterson.

3. RC
    10:37 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

Bam has a lot of DeAndre Jordan-potential, with MUCH better shooting touch. Lottery pick. Mark it down. Should stay in the draft no question.

• maximumscott
      10:41 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

Not deadre jordan. With his athleticism he will be more of a blake griffin type. Roughly same size and athleticism. Works on ballhandling and shooting from 15 foot. He cant be a dominate post player. Has to create range for him to be successful in the NbA, but he has the skillset, frame, athleticism and mentality to be exactly what they need of him.

4. Poppschmidty
    10:40 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

Year 2 of Bam would be amazing, especially if he had some help in the post and could play a true 4. That being said I believe he is gone. Good Luck either which way!

5. Kevin C
    10:44 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure NBA guys will tell him to work more on his mid-range and his footwork. If Bam doesn’t want to be a backup big his entire career, he needs to average 20-10, and should consistently be able to knock down the 8-12 ft jumper, and maybe even a hook. He’s not athletic enough or skilled enough to be another Boogie right now, and likely will never develop his 3-pt shot either, but if he works hard, he could emulate Boogie’s low-post game.

• Blue Jesus
      12:05 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

Why can’t he develop a 3pt shot? He’s already hitting from 18 ft out. I could very easily see him developing into a Patrick Patterson style, stretch 4 big man in the NBA, a guy with good range but enough size to do his part on the boards and on the block.

• Kevin C
      12:15 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

C’mon dude…he hit maybe 5 shots at that range all season.

• Blue Jesus
      12:24 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

He was playing center the majority of the time he was in, and Cal never has his big men step out. Did Cousins or Towns hit any threes at UK? Maybe a couple each, at most. Now they’re practically volume shooters from outside. (Same with Davis, but even though he was a guard just a couple years before, I don’t know that he had that kind of range at that point.) The only big guy I remember taking threes semi-regularly was Harrelson, and if I remember correctly that team with Knight, Lamb, Liggins, and Jones was our best 3pt shooting team in the Cal era.

Adebayo didn’t shoot much from outside the paint, but when he did he looked confident and had good mechanics. And he was pretty consistent, albeit with a very small sample size. More importantly, the direction the NBA is going (or has gone?), Adebayo basically has to develop the ability to hit from outside or he’ll struggle to find any longevity.

6. Kat4Life
    10:57 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

I wonder if this causes Bamba or Knox to look elsewhere ?

• KYcats11
      11:00 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

Why would it, he declared for the draft?

• ben14thafox
      12:45 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah fart face he declared for the draft! Enough of your conspiracies

7. Marcus Areolas
    11:44 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

He will not come back.

8. secrick
    11:44 am April 5, 2017 Permalink

He’s gone, the guy is good.Thanks Bam

9. Bluegrass79
    12:02 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

are you kidding me? there are 30 teams who would pass on Bam? REALLY? You didn’t see him in the last 15 games? He is a freaking beast. He was only slowed down because Isaac and the gang sucked balls .

10. cking
    12:28 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

Bam is just two inches short from being an unbelievable big man.

Reminds me of sullinger.

• KRScommenter69
      1:02 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

My wife tells me I’m 2 inches short of being a big man every day:(

• CatManDo
      2:27 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

She doesn’t tell me that. I kid because I love….

11. tubby b smith
    12:37 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

d-league he goes like Morris for not listening to me..plus cal is kicking him out to get more freshman in

12. tubby b smith
    12:42 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

mon – fox
    tuesday – monk
    wed. – bam
    thursday – briscoe
    friday – Isaac or SACHA KILLEYA-JONES transfer

• ThankfulCat
      12:51 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

Wed-Dumba$$ troll (you)

• KRScommenter69
      1:01 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

Oooooooooh! You got roasted tubby b smith!!!! More like Chubby D Smith!!

13. Rauh Gauh
    1:44 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

Tease me Bam. Bring back the man child

14. GroundControlToNumber9
    1:58 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

There is no chance Bam Adabayo returns for a 2nd year at UK.

The pro scouts know what I’m talking about. Mark this down (unless Bam wants to go in the top 5… which is possible in another draft but he has work to do).

How can Bam be top 5 next season?
    Be unstoppable as a triple threat in the low post
    ….. If ball is passed in he scores at will (and gets fouled, and hits free throw).
    ….. If ball is passed in and he’s double teamed he knows where the open man is to pass immediately.
    ….. If ball is passed in, he can pause and force double teams to create shots for his teammates
    Show outside jumper consistency (automatic from 10′ – 15’… think Euro big man)
    Hit above 80% from the free throw line
    Learn disciplined shot blocking (don’t fall for the head fake… + reduce fouls)
    Never foul out… be physical but keep it concealed
    Show his ability to utilize his athletic advantage to dominate college competitors… reveal that he’s smart enough to display a full grasp of the challenges of playing against less athletic yet smart disciplined players

• TBW3011
      3:26 pm April 5, 2017 Permalink

So be the best big in NCAA history. Got it. Thanks.

• Bobbum Man