Avenatti claims UK assistant was aware of college hoops scandal

Michael Avenatti is following through with his claims that he knows about the college hoops scandal.

According to Yahoo Sports, a motion was filed in federal court on behalf of Avenatti that claims Nike EYBL director Carlton DeBose discussed several deals for players, including Zion Williamson and Romeo Langford. Kentucky was mentioned, although it’s important to note that there is no direct link between the staff and paying players:

DeBose, according to the motion, also “acknowledged in an exchange of text messages with an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky that Nike was funneling payments to high school players through at least ten different EYBL coaches.”

For more, go to Yahoo Sports.

[Yahoo Sports]

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Avenatti claims UK assistant was aware of college hoops scandal

1. Smyrna_Cat
    10:18 pm August 14, 2019 Permalink

Couldn’t find a more reliable source.

2. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:25 pm August 14, 2019 Permalink

Sandy Bell strongly disagrees with his statements.

• Mathlete
      9:18 am August 15, 2019 Permalink

To be specific about what the UK assistant coach is alleged to have acknowledged – he knew that Nike was paying players through the EYBL coaches, not that UK was recruiting those players.

3. Mad Max
    10:31 pm August 14, 2019 Permalink

This dude has been right about more than most, despite some pretty serious denials by others..

However, I don’t think it’s a surprise that UK knew about this crap. In fact, I think more than one player we backed off of because of this (ask deandre Ayton)

In all honesty, we ALL knew these shoe companies were gaming the system for their favorite programs…cough cough…Zion…ahem Duke

• nocode96
      12:11 am August 15, 2019 Permalink

Well said.

• JASUN74
      1:31 am August 15, 2019 Permalink

I agree. Man I would have loved to see Coach Cal slam the door in Zions face when he told coach, “Well coach, I’ve made up my mind!, I’ve always wanted to play for the University of KyWildcats so if you can match what THE OTHER SCHOOL IS OFFERING!!” (hehe), “I’d love to get to Lexington an look for houses!!” Lmao.

Now I know this isn’t the exact way this happened, but I’m probably not too far off. I know it has always been going on with the top kids in some form or another, but, All these top 5 10 players the last five or six years with the way it’s been changing, they’re pretty much Rock stars and want everything now. Cal don’t roll like that, and I’m damn proud he doesn’t.

Every one is soo butthurt that Cal hasn’t been getting Top 5 kids and crying over it, but just look at what’s going to happen to those Schools!! ( well should happen, but who knows)!! Anyway, I’d rather be a clean program and do what we’re doing than cheat, win , and have it all come crumbling down.

People Cal is doing this with Dignity , Grace and Honesty. We should all appreciate him more than we do because he deserves it. We are still the Gold Standard in College Basketball and we always have the chance to win a championship every year. Enjoy the ride because we’re in the middle of Greatness right here, and I think the second half is going to be 3-4 Championship wild ride!! Wooo. Go Cats!!!!

4. Ned T.
    6:45 am August 15, 2019 Permalink

Avenutti remains relevant? Thief, compulsive liar, and fame whoar?

5. runningunnin.454
    8:51 am August 15, 2019 Permalink

Did he say how Stormy is doing these days? And, how is that 25 million extortion thing going?

6. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    10:26 am August 15, 2019 Permalink

This sounds like good news.

7. UKLugo
    12:45 pm August 15, 2019 Permalink

Well duh. Everybody knew.

8. 4thregionref
    2:06 pm August 15, 2019 Permalink

I was listening to KSR talk about this today. I was surprised no one suggested that perhaps KY did report the conversation.

9. KYFAN4LYFE