In an effort to get ahead of the trouble that may lay ahead, Auburn is taking matters into its own hands.
According to a release sent out by the program, the Auburn Men’s Basketball team has self-imposed a one-year postseason ban for 2020-21. Multiple outlets have reported the news. This decision comes from the widespread investigation of corruption in college basketball conducted by the FBI and directly stems from the situation with former Auburn assistant Chuck Person.
Massive news: Auburn basketball has decided it will not play in the postseason in the 2020-21 season, citing the Chuck Person scandal. pic.twitter.com/rnjvVf3jBK
— Justin Ferguson (@JFergusonAU) November 22, 2020
Auburn has self-imposed a postseason ban on its men’s basketball program for this season.
Smart move since there might not be a full season, and also since Auburn might not be an NCAA tourney team. anyway.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) November 22, 2020
The school released the following statement:
“The athletics department and university administration, in conjunction with Coach Bruce Pearl, made the decision after careful deliberation and in light of the ongoing matter that surfaced in fall 2017 regarding former assistant Chuck Person. Auburn has cooperated with the NCAA and will continue to do so.
“We regret the impact this decision has on our student-athletes, yet it was made in the best long-term interest of the program. Because of the ongoing matter, we will not comment further but hope for swift consideration and resolution of the matter.”
Auburn is not expected by many to be a sure-fire NCAA Tournament team, so talking heads are assuming that the Tigers program is making this move now to help ease the coming blows. Head coach Bruce Pearl said this is basically a two-year ban, considering COVID-19 canceled the tournament a season ago.
“This was a difficult decision but the right decision,” Peal said. “I hate it for our current players. They lost the opportunity for the postseason last year because of COVID, and now they will miss the postseason again. It’s a two-year postseason penalty for them. However, we need to take this penalty now to put it behind us.”