Ashton Hagans says he’s no traitor

Ashton Hagans is no traitor, he says, but that didn’t stop the Georgia student section (and some grown men in red sweaters) from chanting “TRAITOR!” Hagans’ direction from the moment he stepped on the floor in pregame warmups until the game was completely out of reach late in the second half.

The one-time Georgia commit and Player of the Year in the Peach State heard the taunts from the fan base that once celebrated him, but he stuck to the plan: get the win in front of the 15-plus family members and close friends who were there to cheer him on, most of whom were wearing UK jerseys (No. 2, of course).

“When I heard the crowd booing me, it was just like ‘let me try to go out here and put on a show,” he said. “I felt like I wasn’t a traitor, but that’s what everybody says. I just tried to play my game. I was home, so I tried to put on a show for my family.”

And put on a show, he did. Hagans set a new career-high in scoring with 23 points in addition to his five rebounds, four assists and four steals.

“Coach put me in a role — he let me have the ball more and let me find open guys,” he explained. “I’m just going back to playing my game, how I was in high school; finding my shooters, attacking the basket and looking for my bigs. But I’m just loving how I’m playing these past couple games and gotta keep it going.”

See all the fun from the locker room celebration:

Hear more from the star of the game:

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Ashton Hagans says he’s no traitor

1. michaelb
    10:58 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

I like the offense running thru him . It changes the norm for a lot of our guys expectations but is beneficial for the team. He’s approaching rj Barrett level of player . We’re so fortunate for pgs blossoming in two consecutive seasons . Onward !!

2. Blue Jesus
    11:12 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Nothing wrong with the chants, that’s part of cbb. We would do the same, and we did plus 10x more with Pitino–rightfully so.

• catsarerunnin
      8:18 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

We all aren’t “we” BJ.

• IndianaSucks
      8:58 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I went to UK and our students have said worse. Like you said, no big deal. That’s the nature of the beast. Imagine if we had a top in-state recruit that de-committed from UK and played for duke, we’d be pissed too. Drew is by far my favorite KSR personality but don’t act like our fans never do crazy and outlandish things. (i.e. threatening a man’s actual business because of a bad ref call)

• IndianaSucks
      9:03 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

And I guarantee, 90% of those in that example were grown @ss adults

3. catsarerunnin
    6:34 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

By the end of the season AH will be the best point guard in the country.

4. jimmer
    7:27 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

That’s an SEC locker room. Wow. That’s horrible.

• Skooms
      11:10 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

That’s the visiting team’s locker room. Most arenas and football stadiums at the college level do this on purpose to help with the homecourt advantage. I wish I had the link to an article I read about it.

5. Kentuckybbnfan01
    11:25 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Malik monk got the same chants when we played Arkansas some people don’t have the balls to leave their hometown team aka James wiseman

• bigblue2284
      12:15 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Wiseman wanted to stay in Memphis and play for Penny? Pretty sure you have no idea what your talking about.

6. Luether
    2:13 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Quade Green transferring is a classic example of addition by subtraction. Ashton Hagans has been empowered and is finally unleashed…