Getty Images

Getty Images

Finishing out the 2019-20 regular season with a 19-12 record overall and 9-11 in conference play, the Indiana Hoosiers are right on the fringe of NCAA Tournament contention, likely on the outside looking in.

On one end, the Hoosiers have ranked victories over the likes of Florida State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, and Penn State. On the other, they’ve also fallen to the likes of Wisconsin (twice), Purdue (twice), Arkansas, Illinois, and Rutgers, among others.

Indiana head coach Archie Miller feels his team’s strength of schedule and quality wins justify a spot in the Big Dance. ESPN college basketball analyst Joe Lunardi, though, continues to leave the Hoosiers out of the field in his Bracketology updates, specifically in his most recent edition released late Saturday evening.

And while Lunardi’s updates truly have no bearing on the NCAA’s decision-making process or which schools make it in the NCAA Tournament, Miller isn’t handling Indiana’s exclusion very well.

Following Indiana’s loss to Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon, the Hoosier head coach took the podium to tell reporters that Lunardi is on a “Sesame Street show” and that he needed to “go back in the trash can where he came from.”

“If you watch Sesame Street and listen to the guys on Sesame Street, you’d know it’s a children’s show. Every Bracketology is a children’s show,” Miller said. “When I was in the Atlantic 10, Joe Lunardi was my best friend. He used to help me all the time. When I went to Indiana, he needed to crap on Indiana to get people to watch his Sesame Street. You know what I’m saying?

“Go back in the trash can where you came from.”

Check out the entire exchange:

Yikes.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

43 Comments for Archie Miller says Joe Lunardi should “go back in the trash can where [he] came from”

1. eyebleedblue
    12:07 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Awesome. IU is my least favorite team anywhere, because their fans are the most obnoxious of any when good or not.

But this is amazing and I like Archie now lol. Not a coincidence him, his brother and Cal are close either. I bet they’ve talked like this behind closed doors.

• J. Did
      12:12 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

One of my best buddies is an IU grad; wife too. Awesome people. Love them. But they absolutely HATE KENTUCKY. I tell him I root for IU when they don’t play KENTUCKY. It’s true; I do the same for uavel. And I told him that if IU was relevant, I may care more.

2. Heavy C
    12:08 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

He Ain’t Wrong. And oh yea…Indiana Still Sucks A$$.

• catdaddyd
      2:41 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

I used to see teams that go 15-13 complain that they didn’t get a bid say, our strength of schedule blah, blah, blah. But they never beat anyone.

3. J. Did
    12:09 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

IU should get a bid. Decent team; can do some damage. The Big “10” is stacked. But what is amazing is just how far IU Basketball has fallen…practically off the face of the earth. Hired really strong coaches in recent years…who were at smaller programs and could not replicate in the Big 10.

4. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    12:09 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

All these KSR writers are cranking out stories this morning. But not one of the likely real reason Ashton was suspended.

• Kyfanfav1984
      12:41 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Wow

• 2andToodleLoo
      12:46 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

How verifiable is this video?

• Jack Pilgrim
      12:49 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Listen to the Sources Say Podcast from last week.

• Kyfanfav1984
      12:50 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

It for sure looks like him just couldn’t see the date on my phone

• Kyfanfav1984
      1:23 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

So Jack I listened to the pod cast and you seem to allude to the video. Should people worry about this being more than 1 game missed in your opinion?

• Kyfanfav1984
      10:18 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

I swear the more I look it seems like it may not even be real money. The first bill in the stack looks like you can make out Franklin

• friendsofcoal
      10:27 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

That money is fake as hell!

• wyatts1
      1:52 am March 10, 2020 Permalink

Referred to a podcast for a explanation, is a joke, if this kid or young man is flashing that much money then I’m hoping his pale grant or something came in or something but it looks bad. That video doesnt represent uk basketball at all, not now, not ever. Would love to see a simple explanation in a few sentences about this. Besides busting my azz all I remember of college is being broke.

5. DelrayCat
    12:23 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

So a very accomplished sportswriter objectively uses metrics and data to make some generalized assumptions about a future event….and this douchebag coach attacks him personally because he doesn’t like the results. Seems typical in this MAGA world whereby truth, integrity, and fact-based reporting is routinely labeled as “fake news”. Bottom line Archie is an a-hole just like Booby Knight, Trump, and a large majority of his supporters.

• Kywildcats09
      1:02 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

You sound like the asshole.. just sayin

• Earned Not Given
      1:44 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Bracketology is the actual definition of “fake news,” because, like you yourself said, it is generalized assumptions. It is also not objective; it is, by definition, subjective. Data and metrics are objective, based on subjective parameters, but his assumptions and predictions are subjective. But to ardently suggest that the MSM by any measure is full of truth, integrity, and fact-based reporting is the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time.

• syrin23
      2:05 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Hey d,bag. Please enlighten the deplorable about how three YEARS of RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA, is truth integrity and fact based. Even better, tell us how the criminality of the Biden family is an impeachable offense to Trump. You wouldn’t know integrity if Hillary suicided your whole family.

• CahillsCrossingNT
      2:17 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Lunardi is a statistics professor, not a sportswriter. If you’re going to post nonsense at least look things up.

• Urincatland
      3:04 am March 9, 2020 Permalink

Then don’t get on tv predicting the NCAA tourney field.

• bigbluebg
      2:42 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Get your politics out of my sports! Pretty please?

That Archie presser was amazing. If Cal did that we would love it and defend him. Bracketology is a just Lunardi’s way of being relevant. Problem is he also is like 99% accurate. My mom’s side of the family is all IU fans and they’ve been wanting Archie to get fired for at least a full season. Bashing Lunadri ain’t gonna win back those fans, winning ball games will. Go win some games in the Big Ten Tournament or go home and try again next season. Losing 12 games is too many to go to the tourney.

• satcheluk
      3:07 pm March 9, 2020 Permalink

Tru dat

6. KaliforniaKat
    12:29 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Spot on DelRay

7. panicpat
    12:50 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s people like you delray that give democratic a bad name. I’m a registered Democrat and voted for trump and will continue voting republican because you arrogant democrats have ruined the party. Keep talking down to people and see how it works.

• Kyfanfav1984
      1:20 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

How is Del Ray in the wrong all he did is point out the facts besides bringing up political points.

• satcheluk
      3:09 pm March 9, 2020 Permalink

Funny, I didn’t see him mention he is a Dem.

8. TorpedoVegas
    1:13 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Maybe don’t lose 12 games, Archie.

9. ukkatzfan
    1:40 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Guess if Lunardi were to go back into the trash can, he would find IU. And him and Lunardi could be friends again. Can you say “friends” boys and girls ?

• satcheluk
      3:10 pm March 9, 2020 Permalink

You’d be right.

10. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    2:23 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

“And while Lunardi’s updates truly have no bearing on the NCAA’s decision-making process or which schools make it in the NCAA Tournament…”.

I’m glad to see you know that. One sure can’t tell from reading most KSR Bracketology mentions.

• Realme
      3:32 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Exactly what I was thinking.

11. Wild Turkey 101
    2:29 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Stay classy Indiana.

12. Wilfred Smith
    2:36 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Just coachspeak…

13. lexattorney
    2:40 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

THIS, antique! And that very quote is the primary reason I ignore the clown’s “projections.” They mean less than NOTHING except for getting ESPoN more undeserved clicks, views and listens. People like this Lunardi tool are one of the myriad reasons I’ve boycotted ESPoN for months and have implored others to do the same.

14. Jpcat15
    5:00 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

9-11 should never gat you in. Big 10 is a farce. Bunch of average teams that are completely overrated.BS that they are getting propped up.

15. Jpcat15
    5:02 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Donald Trump is the best President in my 56 years of life. How did he get dragged into a discussion on the merits of IU getting an NCAA bid? Makes 0 sense.

• KaliforniaKat
      5:51 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Hilarious! You’re fired!

• 4everUKBlue
      7:21 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Prayers for you and your family Jpcat.

• Jpcat15
      9:21 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

??? My family is doing better than ever and so is 90% of the country. Can’t ignore facts. I never talk politics on this forum, but it was brought up in a way that was hard to ignore. We can all agree on the Big Blue, though!

• satcheluk
      3:10 pm March 9, 2020 Permalink

You have very low standards.

16. Miller45
    5:12 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Heroic

17. CJKAssassin123
    7:58 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

The only Bracketology you should be looking at is Bracketville. They are ranked #1 when it comes to being the most accurate bracket projector sense going back to 2011.

18. bbn606
    10:45 pm March 8, 2020 Permalink

Any team that does not finish .500 in their shouldn’t expect a bid to the tournament.