Anthony Davis on leaving the Pelicans: “I feel like it’s my time”

(David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images)

(David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images)

Just four days ago, Anthony Davis trade rumors broke the internet. Ok, not really. But AD’s potential departure from New Orleans suddenly became a reality, and his destination became a major topic of conversation. Every sports media outlet in the country was talking about Davis’ decision to leave the Pelicans – John Calipari even touched on it during his guest appearance on ESPN’s “Get Up.”

But now, Davis is finally addressing it for himself.

I feel like it’s my time,” Davis told reporters Friday afternoon. “I gave the city, organization, fans everything I feel like I could. I don’t know how long I’m going to play this game. People’s careers are short, and I feel like it’s my time to move on.”

The former Cat has been individually successful during his time with the Pelicans – he’s a six-time All-Star, a three-time All-NBA selection and has finished in the top-5 of league MVP voting twice. Unfortunately, his personal success never quite translated into team success, as the Pelicans only went to the playoffs twice during Davis’ seven seasons, recording just one series victory.

While Davis says he’s planning on staying “professional” during his remaining time with the organization, there’s obviously some bad blood. After the trade request news broke, the Pelicans removed Davis from their intro video, and now their head coach Alvin Gentry is uncertain if Davis will return to the court for the Pelicans, saying “we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.” Davis is currently out with a finger injury, but says he still plans on playing. But Davis understands, “at the end of the day, it’s a business.”

“My intention is to play,” Davis said. “I’ve been working to get my finger back healthy. Obviously, it’s a tough situation, but my intention is to still play. And when I’m able to play, I plan on suiting up.”

While Davis’ agent Rich Paul said Davis “wants to be traded to a team that allows him the chance to win consistently and compete for a championship,” Davis said he never wanted the trade request to go public. Remember, he was fined $50,000 for the public demand (which, of course, isn’t a big deal for someone making millions of dollars per year). Regardless, Davis says he hasn’t given the Pelicans any sort of ultimatum.

“I never gave an [ultimatum],” Davis said. “Me or my representation never gave the Pelicans a destination or anything, so I’m not sure where that’s coming from, maybe the connection with my representation, but we never gave the Pelicans a destination.”

His father told ESPN he does not want his son to play for the Boston Celtics, citing loyalty issues with Isaiah Thomas following a hip injury.

“I would never want my son to play for Boston after what they [did] to Isaiah Thomas. Guy gives his heart and soul and they traded him,” Davis Sr. told ESPN. “This is just my opinion, not Anthony’s. I’ve just seen things over the years with Boston, and there’s no loyalty.”

At the end of the day, Davis says he isn’t in the NBA for the drama – or the money.

“I’ve heard that question before: legacy or money? I’m all about legacy,” Davis said. “The money comes and goes. When I get done playing or leave this earth, what is my legacy going to be?”

At this point, the Lakers still seem like the most likely option for Davis’ next spot. The NBA trade deadline is February 7 at 2 p.m. Central time.

@MaggieDavisKSR

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

36 Comments for Anthony Davis on leaving the Pelicans: “I feel like it’s my time”

1. unbridled
    10:47 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

If he goes to the lakers to play with Bron Bron…he’s dead to me. AD, please consider the Celtics.

2. unbridled
    10:47 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Please!!!!

3. mashburnfan1
    10:48 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Ironic his dad saying Boston shows no loyalty as his son prepares to quit on the team that has paid him many many millions of dollars and actually has some decent pieces. Miritic {spell check} Randle and Holiday are good pieces. Also ironic the team has been very competitive with games vs Ok City, Houston etc despite having AD, Randle and Miritic not playing in those games. Someone mentioned a few days ago of AD, KAT, Book, Murray and Fox teaming up. That would be nice and would be interesting to see how they would do. Also add Randle and of course Ulis, others as their current contracts expire could join in. I would suggest they do this in Indy so BBN could fill the place nightly.

• cosmic_cats
      10:54 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

mashburnfan1? You obviously aren’t a Kentucky fan. You should change your name to kyriefan.

• mashburnfan1
      11:17 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

wrong cosmic. Not a Cal fan, never was since the day we hired him. Never thought he was a great coach, still know he and WWWes cheated and hate the one and done nonsense. I know it is not his rule and he says he does not like it but to change teams every year, rely on 5 FR to win, this is not a path to titles and has been proven.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:43 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

mashburnfan1=Miserable piece of dirt. ( dirt is a kind colloquialism in this case)

• ukwildcat1991
      12:27 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Why cause he has a different opinion than yours? Very funny dude. You can still be a fan of something and not support how things are done. Stop being so biased lol

• 4everUKblue
      8:07 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn is a dUKe apologist and not a true Kentucky fan and last I heard Cal like most of us is not a fan of yours.

• 4everUKblue
      8:10 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Since you have proof that he and Wes cheated you should sell out to the press with your insider info. Maybe you should go cheer for dUKe you seem to make excuses for them. Are they not a one and done program? You’re so full of sh!t mashburn!

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:27 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

I actually totally agree with mashburnfan. When he isn’t being unnecessarily and ignorantly anti-Calipari he makes some sense…weird.

• runningunnin.454
      8:44 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

But, Mash totally ignores the facts. Cal couldn’t live with Marcus Camby, and monitor his every move 24/7.
      Cal couldn’t monitor Derrick Rose’s SAT exam from 750 miles away.
      I said at the time, long before Cal took the UK job, that Memphis was screwed. The NCAA cleared Rose to play, and then retroactively vacated the Memphis wins. You can bet that if that was UNCheat, they would have fought tooth and nail, and the NCAA would have backed down.

• Ridge Runner
      9:08 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely gospel, runnin’

4. Kyceltsfan
    11:08 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

As both a lifelong UK fan and a Boston Celtics fan I naturally hope he plays for my Celts, The prospect of him going to LA and playing with Lebron is especially painful to me as I care for neither LA nor him. However if AD wants to go there I respect his wishes. I will add though in defense of Danny Ainge and the I.T. injured hip situation, I remember LA doing something similar to Andrew Bynum. Also Ainge signed a very banged up Jermaine O’neal and a high mileage version of Shaq.

5. RondoTheDonThough
    11:09 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you

• J. Did
      8:21 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Awesome!

6. RondoTheDonThough
    11:10 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s late September and I really should be back at school

7. mashburnfan1
    11:13 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

NBA is a joke anyways, no defense allowed or . MJ would average 60 per game if playing with these rules and lack of effort on D by most teams. Denver and Houston score 83-71…no not a final, it is halftime. You score 71 in a half and trail by a dozen.

8. DelrayCat
    11:14 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

L.A. is BY FAR the best move he could make. Who cares about loyalty anymore. The NBA is a business. And AD can certainly maximize his exposure and lifestyle by playing alongside Lebron in Hollywood. Anyone thinks any player cares about loyalty now is fooling themselves. Winning…maybe. Some guys take less to play for a winner (see Boogie Cousins). Or some guys like being top dog and don’t care if his team is competitive or not (see Carmelo). With AD, he can get it all in LA. They are gonna be a good team and playing along with one of the greatest ever in his twilight, and being the heir-apparent…while making plenty of coin living the dream in the city of the angels….AD doin’ alright if that’s how it goes down.

9. michaelb
    12:23 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Cool , in glad the chap has an opinion about his own career and not just navigating himself as a corporate robot and just does whatever makes everyone happy . Way to go mr brow! Do what makes you happiest !

10. ukwildcat1991
    12:25 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Dad talks about loyalty and yet his son is leaving the franchise that picked him. Idk, sounds a bit ridiculous to me

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:30 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Agreed, Dad should have kept his mouth shut on that topic.

• Han
      8:43 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, New Orleans should own him forever and he should toil away there like Garnett did. Doesn’t matter if they make mistakes or tank. AD should stay there forever and ever and ever.

Teams have very little loyalty. It’s all about money. NO doesn’t care about Davis personally. He makes them money, so that’s why they pay him and wanted him there.

• Ridge Runner
      9:29 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Your both right really.
      Yeah, AD should do what’s best for him as it is indeed a business. NO sales tix.
      But .. Dad’s reasoning is flawed as well.

• StillBP
      9:23 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Lol and I bet you’re still with the very first person you fell in love with bc you’re loyal, right? Just bc someone picked you doesn’t mean you owe them for life.

• bhb71
      11:08 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

He was loyal to them for the first seven years of his career and got tired of not being able to get any stars to come play with him. He got tired of being on a team that overpaid Solo Hill and E’Twaun Moore because they were convenient options instead of going out and getting a serviceable SF from free agency. AD showed loyalty when he signed an extension with the Pels despite having no reason to believe that they would ever get their shit together.

That’s a far cry from Boston trading IT4 just a few months after he led them on a great playoff run and played through the death of his sister.

11. Matt10
    6:43 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

I thought Isiah Thomas was traded because he was one of the worst defenders statistically in the league. Hip injury was just unfortunate timing. Where’s he playing now? Haven’t heard a peep about him.

12. UKFootballYall
    7:42 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

This story made me laugh. AD downplayed his wanting to leave saying “it’s a business.” Then his dad says he doesn’t want his son to ever play for Boston because they have no loyalty. Wow, must be great to be a pro athlete – you get to disappoint fan bases by treating it “like a business” and also demand loyalty from the team as well. Maybe the rest of the world should pull the “respect my decision” card too. Lol.

• runningunnin.454
      8:37 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

AD doesn’t owe N.O. anything; he gave them everything he had, every year.
      Did loyalty to an employer ever stop you from taking another job that you felt would be better for you?

• 4everUKblue
      9:51 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Agreed RG. And if it was in N.O. best interest to trade AD, how loyal do you think they would be to him?

13. Racerr11
    8:18 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn fan , love Cal and he’s proven he’s one of the best. He has been at every stop and has won a championship. AD please don’t go to LA, you are a quality person and don’t need to be around leebron he is a thug. BBN loves you and will support you no matter what but go anywhere other than LA.

• DelrayCat
      1:39 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

There it is. Racism rears its ugly head. How exactly is Lebron a “thug”? He’s black..and outspoken…and a liberal..got it. Otherswise, he is a great father, husband, and gives significantly to charity…but all you see is thug. Look in the mirror Maga man.

14. Gogh Big Bleu
    11:49 pm February 2, 2019 Permalink

Remember that Davis bought a house right outside LA last year