Good morning, friends, and happy Fourth of July. If you’re a true American like me, you celebrated the Thirth, America’s true holiday, in style and feel like crap today. But that’s why the Fourth is for recovery, and recover we will today. I’m running the show today, so here’s what you can look forward to…
Six Cats play in the Summer League
Alex Poythress, Aaron Harrison, Marquis Teague, Dakari Johnson, James Young, and Trey Lyles will be in action today in the NBA Summer Leagues in Orlando and Utah. Here’s when you can catch them on NBATV:
- 1:00 p.m.: Dallas (Marquis Teague) vs. Orlando White
- 3:00 p.m.: Orlando Blue (Alex Poythress) vs. Detroit
- 5:00 p.m.: Oklahoma City (Dakari Johnson) vs. Charlotte (Aaron Harrison)
- 7:00 p.m.: Boston (James Young) vs. Philadelphia
- 9:00 p.m.: San Antonio vs. Utah (Trey Lyles)
Over the weekend, Dakari Johnson shined, putting up 15 points and 12 rebounds in the Thunder’s win over the Clippers. Here are some of his highlights from yesterday:
Meanwhile, Jamal Murray’s getting ready for his turn in the Summer League later this week:
Rajon Rondo signed with the Bulls
The odd couple bromance between DeMarcus Cousins and Rajon Rondo ended yesterday when Rondo signed a two-year, $28 million deal with the Chicago Bulls. The Bulls were in dire need of a point guard with Derrick Rose off to the Knicks, so it’ll be interesting to see how this marriage works. The Athletic’s Stephen Noe isn’t confident:
At one year or two, Rondo doesn’t make any sense for the Bulls. Yes, they needed a point guard. Yes, he led the league in assists last season and had good shooting numbers (for him) on a Sacramento Kings team that finished 33-49 and gave up the most points per game in the NBA. While he averaged 11.7 assists a game, he also averaged 3.9 turnovers, the third-most among point guards, behind two talented scorers in Russell Westbrook and John Wall.
But he has serious attitude problems and is 30 years old. He’s not going to be around by the time the Bulls reopen their championship window and best-case scenario, he will get them a first-round playoff exit followed by a poor draft pick.
I’m no Rondo fan, but after reading that, I kind of hope he kills it in Chicago.
The KSR 4th annual Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest LIVE BLOG starts in two hours
For the fourth year in a row, I’m live blogging the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, which Wimbledon kicked off ESPN but you can still see via WatchESPN. Join me and Richmond Bramblet as we take you through the most exciting and disgusting event in sports. Here are the current odds in Vegas:
- Women’s head to head: Miki Sudo -350, Sonya Thomas +225
- Women’s Championship: Total Hot Dogs Eaten by Winner? Over 39.5: -160, Under 39.5: +120
- Men’s Championship: Head-to-head winner: Matt Stone +155, Joey Chestnut -155
- Men’s Championship: Total Hot Dogs Eaten by Winner? Over 63.5: -350, Under 63.5: +225
- When we will all be grossed out? 5 minutes in: +155
(I made that last one up.)
No new KSR today
…But enjoy listening to Lamar Thomas, Vince Marrow, and Eddie Gran from their show over Matt’s vacation. Tune in for gridiron talk, stay for Ryan Lemond fanboying over Darius Rucker.