Alumni tell Cal “We’re back!” after scrimmaging with current team

8087067-570x380

One of the best things about the Alumni Game is that it gives UK’s returning pros a chance to scrimmage against the current squad. In fact, Cal told reporters this morning that he’s expecting a full report from his former players on how the new guys are doing: “I’m excited. Go play against my guys and come back and tell me what you think.”

Cal said his former players were embarrassed by last season’s NIT finish, but felt immediately better when they played against the new group this summer. In fact, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe told Cal “we’re back!”:

“(They) went crazy … were so happy when they played pickup against them. ‘We’re back! Yeah!’. We’re not back. We’ve got a long way to go. But as far as what we look like, we’re back. Now we look like what we’ve always looked like. Whether they play that way, we’ll have to see.”

Cal also expects the alumni to give the new guys some advice, and even a warning: “You better not be doing what you did a year (ago).”

For those of you asking for details, the Alumni Game is Monday night at 7 p.m. ET at Rupp Arena. Gates will open early so fans can watch more of Kentucky’s alums (Kenny Walker, Andre Riddick, Mark Krebs, Jared Prickett, and possibly Wayne Turner and Goose Givens) play against the Fantasy Camp All-Stars at 5:15 p.m. Sadly, the event will not be televised. School rules prohibit them from releasing a roster of which pros are on what team, but due to contract issues, not all of the 2010 and 2012 guys will play. Those that can’t will serve as assistant coaches. Who will be the head coaches? According to Cal, two former NBA coaches who have yet to be named. Leave your best guesses in the comments section.

There’s still plenty of time to get your tickets over at Ticketmaster. 17,000 have been sold so far. Don’t forget, there will be some VIP recruits in stands, including Jahlil Okafor, Devin Booker, and Tyler Ulis, so get your chants ready.

23 Comments for Alumni tell Cal “We’re back!” after scrimmaging with current team

1. DH
    2:18 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m guessing it won’t be Larry Brown… It would be cool to see Pat Riley on the sideline. Larry Legend?? Phil Jackson? Rick Pitino?..

2. Han
    2:19 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Extremely disappointing that it won’t be televised. Not even Wazoo?

3. Han
    2:20 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

1) Unlikely to be a current college coach like Brown (or Pitino, ha), and keep in mind it doesn’t say “head coach,” so it could be a former NBA assistant, too.

Cal have any connections to the Van Gundys?

4. RonnieR
    2:21 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Dan Issel and Phil Jackson.

5. Who cares
    2:27 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Alumni is the plural form of a group of former players not alums. Alum is a chemical compound. Get it right.

6. Ryan Harrow
    2:32 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Back from what?

7. SayWhat?
    2:32 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

5 in response to your comment, see your name.

8. Twinning
    2:33 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

6 back from hell, and back on the throne

9. SeaCat
    2:47 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Does John Wall ever play?
    I think he was on the bench last year.
    Wizards must not let him play.

10. Good Not Great
    2:53 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

This is awesome, but the worst part about it is that I’m never going to get to see it because they are having it on a freaking Monday night, WHY? if it were on a Friday or Saturday night I’d have bought tickets the moment they went on sale and taken a day off work (if on a Friday night) but as a resident of Nashville with a 7-5 job there’s just no way for me to be able to swing a Monday night.

I was hoping it would be Televised but no dice there either, so I’ll never get to see the most glorious scrimmage ever.

11. GoBigBlue
    2:54 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

2> I agree. As someone that recently moved away from Lexington, I always hate when events like this aren’t televised. At least Big Blue Madness will be on in some form somewhere.

12. Human Beat Box
    2:55 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

That was a misquote. What they actually said was: “The Cat Boys are back! … And you know they can never be whack!”

13. marc
    2:59 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

I hate that its on a monday too, I’m 3 hours away and can’t swing it to make it home. really wish I could see it somehow…

14. UK Freshmen
    3:01 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

These freshman players are like a sugar diet. It tastes great at first, and even filling. However eventually you get sick, throw-up all over yourself, and then suffer regret. Most people learn and eat better….others are just not smart enough.

15. JD
    3:04 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering why we still didn’t know the roster.

16. [email protected]
    3:08 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

14 You toothy bird fans know all about throwing up on yourselves. Happens every Thurs – Sun after a night of downing Crown and smoking blunts, I hear.

17. KevinM
    3:21 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Agree w/marc…used to have the B/W game on the weekend so us Catlantans could get there and take in the city for the weekend.

Now much tougher w/kids in school…….

The Memorial B/W games were special.

18. J in Orlando
    3:25 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

14 is the sort of dumbass who will now go to a UL message board and say Chris Jones and Terry Rozier will take them to a title…lol it’s going to suck to be a UL fan this bball season.

19. DH
    3:28 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Han, I was joking about everybody but Pat Riley. I’m thinking Riles and Issel, but I’d love to see Jeff Van Gundy on one bench. He’s definitely one of my favorite announcers and I loved how he stood up for his team when they got in that brawl. I’m thinking it was the Knicks/Heat. Wasn’t it Alonzo Mourning’s leg he was hanging on? I’m too lazy to look it up…

20. bigcatstanding
    3:46 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

I guess the best we can look forward to is to watch some YouTube clips in the future on this game, if we are too far away or not fortunate enough to make it. Can’t wait for the season to start this group has me more excited than any I can ever remember. I remember when we landed Rex Chapman and the excitement around him and his skills, I was young then but times that by 10 that’s how I feel at 48. BBN IS CBB ILF#9. PS #14. we welcome your so called great team of midgets, with an average size starting lineup of 6’3. so come back with size doesn’t mean anything, that can sometimes be so at 1 position but as a whole being smaller by 5 inches at every position, not to mention being out classed and not as Atlantic as your opponent, it will be a massacre of epic proportions!!!!

21. Jimtown Catfan
    4:42 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know if there will be an autograph session available at the alumni game? my daughter has asked to go as her birthday gift and she would be absolutely stoked if she came away with a few autographs from some UK greats!!!! Thanks!

22. YSR2KSR
    5:21 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

to #17 kevinm…where do catlantans go to watch games inside the perimeter?

23. Buckets
    11:28 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

22 – Stout Irish Pub has a bar complex where UK fans meet and watch games.
    56 E Andrews Dr NW #16, Atlanta, GA 30305