Alumni Game may feature All-Kentucky NBA team vs. Warriors or Rockets

Photo by Dr. Michael Huang

Photo by Dr. Michael Huang

It’s been the debate of the Calipari Era: could a team of former Kentucky players take down an NBA super team like the Golden State Warriors? If the folks at UK have their way, we might find out next month.

This morning on KSR, Deputy Director of Athletics DeWayne Peevy said he wants this year’s Alumni Game to feature an all-star UK team and an NBA super team, ala the Golden State Warriors or the Houston Rockets.

“Everybody talks about this All-Kentucky basketball team,” Peevy said. “I’d like to invite one of these so-called NBA super teams to play against us. Whether it’s the Warriors, the Rockets, all these people who are putting these teams together, come play us, an All-Kentucky team, at Rupp Arena on August 25 for charity. Let’s do it.”

In fact, Peevy said he’s already reached out to some of the NBA’s biggest stars to see if they’re interested.

“I’ve got a few feelers out. I’m talking to James Harden (Rockets) and Kevin Durant (Warriors). Bring your team — I don’t care if they combine themselves, they’re not taking down Big Blue Nation.”

Later in the show, Calipari called in and said that while he’s skeptical that Peevy could pull the idea off, he loves it.

“I already put in a call to [Kevin] Durant and [James] Harden,” Peevy told Cal. “I may need you to call Lebron [James]. They might have to all come together to beat us.”

The Alumni Game will take place Friday, August 25 at Rupp Arena. Tickets should go on sale later this week. In the meantime, have fun debating whether a team featuring John Wall, Anthony Davis, Karl Towns, DeMarcus Cousins, and Devin Booker (or any combination of your liking) could take down the Warriors, Rockets, or Cavs. I say yes.

22 Comments for Alumni Game may feature All-Kentucky NBA team vs. Warriors or Rockets

1. TBW3011
    12:35 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

In a pick up setting we’d get destroyed against an actual team that has played together and is organized.

• 3Goggles
      1:12 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

really? have you not looked who would be on a UK all star team? Its not stating we are going to put the current UK team against the warriors.

• TBW3011
      2:29 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

It actually specifically mentions the Warriors, Rockets, etc. We’d have a better chance against random stars that don’t actually play 100 games a season together.

• Mathlete
      1:25 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

TBW’s right. Our guys would hang with anyone in any objective measure of top talent, but elite level basketball is a team sport where chemistry and familiarity are significant factors

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:36 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

So maybe they start with a nucleus like all the Kentucky Suns players, then add in the Kings and Pelicans, and then finish it up by adding other assorted one-off players like Wall, etc. That would import some of the chemistry between guys used to playing together.

• 3Goggles
      1:51 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

sure, an organized familiar team like the warriors would have a huge advantage. but to say they would be destroyed?? 1-5 on the warriors:
      steph
      klay
      KD
      draymond
      zaza

UK starting 5
      wall
      booker
      AD
      KAT
      Cuz

On sheer talent…i like my team.

• Mathlete
      2:15 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

That’s the point though, sheer talent will only get you so far. The Warriors have practiced and baked in muscle memory to motions, plays, and situations that the UK guys would have to think about and react to.

Plus, while Davis could probably contain Durant, Booker would get wrecked by Thompson. That’s not a knock on Booker, most people just underestimate how good Klay Thompson actually is. Take Steph off the floor, and the Warriors would still be strong contenders to win the West every year.

• 3Goggles
      2:58 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

Youre definitely right. I agree that the warriors would have a distinct advantage (the rockets might not) but thats not to say they would destroy us or even win for that matter.
      Matchup:
      KD – AD = wash
      Klay – Book = edge klay (only bc of experience)
      Curry – Wall = I actually like wall, but ill say push
      Draymon- KAT = KAT all day
      Zaza – cuz = thats an insult to cuz

Yea I think chemsitry makes up for talent, that tells me it would be a hell of a game if both teams were taking it seriously.

• damage_control
      2:59 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

If Booker’s getting killed defensively they could stick in MKG and not lose much scoring (there’s only one ball). Forget the starting 5. The warriors big 4 would have to rest and that’s where UK would start pulling away. First 5 off the bench is any one of Ulis/Knight/Bledsoe plus Monk, Murray, WCS, and Patterson. It would be a blood bath.

• damage_control
      3:03 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

Not to mention Booker could get into Klay’s jock knowing if he got beat he’d have 3 erasers behind him.

• damage_control
      3:05 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

How many of these UK guys haven’t played together by now?

• 3Goggles
      3:23 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

Thats true. AD and cuz have. AD and MKG have. Wall and Cuz. KAT and Booker. They all practice and scrimmage against each other. It would be fun to watch

• Sorry but anyone who thinks we would actually have a shot at staying on the court with the Warriors without extensive practice and real games before taking them on needs their head examined. I don’t know about the Rockets.

• 3Goggles
      4:39 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

Any logic or reasoning to base that off of? Its not like we are talking about a group of scrubs. We are talking about dudes that are among the best at their position in the WORLD. Most of which have played with each other in some capacity. My head is just fine thank you.

• damage_control
      11:38 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

He’s basing it on DEERP-DI-DERP-DI-DEEEEERPPPP! Makes absolutely no sense to say that a team that consists of a starting lineup of 3 All-Stars and Devin Booker and KAT (who will be All-Stars next year) couldn’t even compete. Before even considering the bench. It’s flat out stupid.

• Nice comeback there DC. Run out of “Nah nah nah nah nah nah!”?

Look, we’re going to have to agree to disagree. There was plenty of logic in my argument. Did you even read my comment? The logic is that the Warriors will have had *extensive* practice and *real* (100!) games before taking on a UK all star team. Yes, UK would be loaded, but the last time I checked, GS was loaded too. KD just made them even more loaded. I will admit I don’t know anything about their bench, but I really don’t think it matters. I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. Booker can’t guard his grandma, and a couple names that have been mentioned, like Knight, haven’t exactly lit up the league.

No reason to get angry. We’re all Cat fans here, except for the UL troll. If we can’t get along, who can! Peace. ✌️ Out!

• 3Goggles
      1:49 pm July 18, 2017 Permalink

So your logic is they practice together? So do the knicks…

2. CatManDo
    12:44 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

A team of UK guys would beat Jordan’s Bulls – guarantee it! Those guys are all in their fifties.

3. Sentient Third Eye
    1:28 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

Being in my forties, there are few moments when something makes me turn into a geeking-out twelve-year-old again. This possibility did it.

4. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    1:34 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

I drove 5 hours to watch the UK All Stars lose to the Villans (coached by Christian Laettner)…..no more gimmick games for me.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:38 pm July 17, 2017 Permalink

When else are you going to see such a spectacle? This is Roman colosseum stuff (minus the lions).