All-UK NBA Team

catsplayoffs

With the NBA playoffs in full swing, I thought it might be a cool idea to discuss a couple things about an all-UK team in the NBA. As distant as it seems, there are a few guys playing well in the NBA that were pre-Calipari era. But let’s not kid ourselves, as the Cats have obviously amped up their NBA game incredibly since Cal’s arrival.

After some heavy analysis and some #hotsprotstakes, I finally came up with this team as my all-UK team:

PG: John Wall, Rajon Rondo, Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight

SG: Jodie Meeks

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Tayshaun Prince

PF: Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Patrick Patterson

C*: DeMarcus Cousins, Nerlens Noel

*I didn’t put Enes Kanter on the team, because although he went to Kentucky, he never actually played

At first glance, I think the high number of point guards and lack of shooting guards is the thing that stands out. This conflict, though, can be easily fixed as Bledsoe has a long history of being effective off the ball and playing with another standout point guard (Chris Paul, John Wall and Goran Dragic). Also, there are a lot of people (including me) who think Brandon Knight is best suited playing off the ball and as a scoring guard.

On the wing the Cats offer some serious defense with MKG and Prince, but down low is where the Cats would wreak havoc. A starting frontline of AD and Cousins is a scary enough thought, but the versatility off the bench between Terrence Jones and Patrick Patterson is what would make this the best frontline in the NBA.

I don’t know about you guys, but that to me looks like a team that would seriously contend for the NBA title, perhaps even the title favorite. Combining that sick frontline with the ridiculous point guard play that they would have is a scary, scary thought.

Who would you put on your all-UK NBA team and how do you think they would do?

@BWardKSR

Article written by Ben Ward

29 Comments for All-UK NBA Team

1. what about lamb?
    10:43 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

What about Lamb? Plus James Young will fix that next year.

2. ARCHIE GOODWIN
    10:46 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

What about me at Shooting Guard? At least I played this year, which you can’t say about Nerlens.

3. KEITH BOGANS
    10:47 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

I think I might still be around, too.

4. mark
    10:54 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

Rondo,Wall,Meeks,Davis, and Cousins, this is 2014 teams stopped pigeon holing postions long ago.

5. The Undertaker
    11:07 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

Free Enes!

6. Hayley's quadriceps
    11:16 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

If I was Cal, I would be telling everyone to negotiate their contracts to end in 2020. Then just do a one year NBA wrecking ball tour.

7. DavidPat
    11:29 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

Enes Kanter is as much a Wildcat as any. He came here to be a Wildcat. He practice & grew as a Wildcat, it was no fault of his own he didn’t get to play it was the NCAA jealously of UK, he is one of ours! What’s wrong with you people … free Enes!!!

8. hell cat
    11:37 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

Would’ve improved the article and generated more discussion IMO if you’d picked the best 5 rather than the whole team. Not that hard to pick 12.

9. catfan4life
    11:38 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

Enes definitely is a Cat and loved all things UK and fans loved him back. I guess to some he isn’t free yet!

10. NBA2K
    11:50 am May 4, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been playing a season of NBA 2K14 on the Xbox One with this lineup:

PG: John Wall (23.2ppg, 12.4apg), Brandon Knight (8.0ppg, 4.4apg)
    SG: Eric Bledsoe (18.3ppg, 5.9apg), Archie Goodwin (3.4ppg)
    SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (10.9ppg, 3.9rpg, 3.1apg), Tayshaun Prince (5.4ppg)
    PF: Anthony Davis (20.6ppg, 7.9rpg, 3.0bpg), Terrence Jones (5.3ppg)
    C: Demarcus Cousins (20.6ppg, 9.3ppg), Nerlens Noel (4.1ppg, 1.1bpg)

Reserves: DeAndre Liggins (2.0ppg), Darius Miller (0.0ppg)

I’m 34-1 on the season.

11. What?
    12:01 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

The favorite? Seriously? I love UK as much as the next person, but saying that team would be the favorite over any LeBron team is pure homerism. They would compete very well, but definitely wouldn’t be the favorite.

• hamby
      3:38 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. A top 5 seed in the East, and at least in the playoffs in the west. Not a title favorite.

12. the Big Dog
    12:16 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

Since when do we not claim Enes Kanter as a UK alum? And why would we dump a rising star in the NBA (Kanter) in favor of a guy who has never played in the NBA (Noel)?

• Voice of Reason
      12:27 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

You scored as many points at UK as Kanter. End O Story.

13. wildcatinOH
    12:25 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

I am with What?, at least partially.

I would think it’s insane to proclaim at this point in their young careers that a team with all former UK players would be the “favorite” to win an NBA title. A starting five of Wall, Bledsoe, MKG, Davis, Cousins and second five of Knight, Meeks, Prince, Jones, Noel would probably be good enough to get through at least the first 2 rounds of NBA playoffs, assuming they don’t play Lebron or Durant. But give it 2-3 more years, I think our players will become dominant enough (e.g. Anthony Davis at his full potential) to compete in the NBA finals year in and year out. We just need a few more guys to mature and blossom into star players in the NBA. There will be a day when we see UK players leading their teams to the NBA Finals. I can’t wait.

14. Rockets Fan
    12:26 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

Terrence Jones pooped his pants by not switching out on that last shot that lost Houston the game.

• wildcatinOH
      12:32 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

Shut up troll. You must be blind if you think it was Jones’ fault that Lillard hit that 3 point shot. Parsons was chasing Lillard all the way and had his hand in front of Lillard when he took that shot. There was no room for Jones to get in on the action. Go watch the highlight again. If you still don’t see it, go get new glasses.

• Chandler Parsons
      12:35 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

…I would disagree.

15. Chandler Parsons
    12:36 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

…with #14 Rockets Fan, that is.

16. hahaha
    12:39 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

That team would most definitely NOT be the favorite to win the title

• CardFan502
      12:46 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

mine would be

pg siva
      sf garcia
      pf dang

17. 80s Cat Fan
    12:52 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

Wow not a good list. Saying that abt Enes is not cool.

18. Crayola
    1:26 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

Did you write this article with a crayon?

19. hapwin
    5:09 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

In March I made an all UK NBA ALL STAR team on 2k13 named them KY ALL-Stars it has Wall, Bledsoe, Knight, Teague, CUZ, Jones, Lamb, Miller, Davis, Patterson, MKG, Orton.

I also made a team comprised of each of Cal’s years 09-10 10-11 11-12, with other UK players filling in for gaps like Prince, Hayes, Mohammed, etc…

and lastly created the 95-96 greatest college team ever the Untouchables they are 340-0 at the moment and no I didn’t make their attributes all 99, none of them have 99 anything

20. Jesse
    6:24 pm May 4, 2014 Permalink

I definitely move Knight to the shooting guard.

21. kyle heavy

SG – Knight
    SF – Young
    PF – TJ
    C – ENES

23. E
    10:19 am May 5, 2014 Permalink

bELIEVE IT OR NOT BBN, Randle and Young are as NBA ready as any player Cal has had.

24. wow
    10:44 pm May 6, 2014 Permalink

Crazy thing is, if you leave off either Rondo or Wall, whichever you choose, this in theory could happen. Davis and Cousins are max players. Rondo and Wall are max players. As shown by Miami, you can have 3 max players. The rest of the guys would have to take a cut. But outside of Maybe Knight and Bledsoe, the others don’t make a whole lot by NBA standards.