Alex Poythress will return for his junior season

(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)

(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)

BREAKING NEWS! Alex Poythress just announced via press release that he will return to Kentucky for his junior season. Here are his quotes about coming back to school:

“Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine, but I want to make sure that I’m NBA-ready before I make that jump,” Poythress said. “By coming back, I’ll be so much closer to earning my degree in business and it will give me another year to prepare my game and my body for the next level.”

John Calipari said he’s excited for Alex, and proud of his decision:

“I’m excited for Alex and the decision he’s arrived at,” head coach John Calipari said. “I’m proud of the work he committed to this past season, on and off the floor, and think he’s ready to take that next step and lead this team next season.”

Welcome back, Alex. We’re proud of you, too.

Three to go…

110 Comments for Alex Poythress will return for his junior season

1. Wildcat fan
    11:35 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

So pumped, love watching Alex play!!

• DB11
      11:50 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

If the twins come…. oh my god…

• Gayle Niemeyer
      4:34 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

How could the BBN get so lucky? We’ve not only a fantastic basketball player but an intellectual, as well. How proud your family must be!
      Thank goodness you’re coming back. Now, don’t let the rest of the team jump on top of you after our next win. We don’t want you to get hurt!
      Take care of yourself.

2. Logan
    11:35 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Boom

• crazycatfan
      3:54 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

BAMM!!!!

3. corn cob
    11:37 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

We really needed him both for his future and for #9 next year. Things are really looking good.
    You’ll be a monster next year big fella and make big $$$$ afterwards.
    Thanks for making the SMART decision.

• SteelyDanny
      11:39 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

We need him for his future? I don’t think people’s futures work that way

• crazycatfan
      3:57 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

His future … our future … doesn’t matter! ALEX IS RETURNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. J-Dub421
    11:37 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Woo Hoo!!! I’m so excited to keep Alex for another year. He’s a great player.

5. rahrah
    11:37 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yes sir! Cannot tell you how happy this makes me! Go Alex.

6. Supa
    11:37 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yahtzee!

7. CALL ME JJ STOKED
    11:38 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Pacific Rim ain’t got nothing on Poythress Rim! The assault on iron continues.

8. Mark
    11:38 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Newsflash: Kentucky will have the most stacked front line in the country, and that includes the NBA. You have been warned.

• Kevin C.
      12:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, I was saying to my cousin just 2 nights ago that if Dakari and Alex return (halfway there now), we’d have a bigger, deeper front court than any NBA roster.

#StillHopingForTwins

9. jaws2
    11:38 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great decision for the Cats. Alex is maturing right before our eyes.

10. sarah stacy
    11:40 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Happy happy happy!!!!!!!!! Sooooooooo happy your back!

11. william braskey
    11:42 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

He should be able to get plenty of mins at the 3 next year, which is where he’ll have to play if he indeed dreams of the NBA.

12. LadyCat
    11:43 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

WOOOOOO, UK is going to be Awesome!!

13. CatsFanInKnoxville
    11:44 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I love Alex in beast mode! Let’s see more beast mode.

• Pumped!
      11:57 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Exactly my thoughts! We saw him emerge into “beast mode” this season. It was very similar to Terrence Jones from his first to second season. And as Terrence Jones has shown in the NBA, he’s only been better after that. To see the third phase of beast mode in Alex in Kentucky uniform will be incredible. And get ready for some battles with Trey Lyles in practice!

• nerd style
      12:15 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Alex is going to hit level 3 super saiyan all over everyone. He is going to evolve from Charmeleon into full-blown Charizard and pop off flamethrowers on fools NATIONWIDE

• JOhn Wall
      1:59 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Ive never seen such a perfect comparison of Kentucky basketball and pokemon. Each year is truly and evolution haha

14. Candace
    11:45 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Love Alex….I cant wait until the season starts!!!!!! 🙂

15. Rixter
    11:45 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I think Alex is going to blow up next year. Like we’ve seen in spurts the last 2, his self-confidence seems to be growing. I’m amazed and thrilled that our team next year will be led by 2 seasoned veterans!

16. tltaworl
    11:46 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Leadership should be covered. WCS & POY ready to take this over!

• Gayle Niemeyer

40-0

• spudobob
      12:14 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

40-0hhhhhhhh

• UKBlue1!
      12:15 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

If you are a UK fan you look foolish putting this kind of comment out there. I think you are trolling.

• Rixter
      12:15 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Don’t be afraid. Say it with me: forty and oh

• Bill Brasky
      1:06 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Louisville fans…they really are the worst. Smh.

• Southern Jesus
      2:10 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

39-1 minus a loss

18. Chaz
    11:50 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great News, play hard every game, every minute, Alex. This has to be your year.

Matt, don’t be so down on Ryan for liking negative favorites. My most memorable moments with UK basketball include a LOT of negative memories, but over the years, you come to appreciate them. Like the loss to OSU to the Jerry Lucas, John Havlichek team in ’62, and the ’68 loss in the Regional Final at the buzzer 82 to 81. Just made the 2011 season all the sweeter. Basketball is timeless, enjoy the win, but you will always remember the losses.

19. eric
    11:50 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

YAYAYAYAYYYAAAAAYY!!! 40-0 baby!!!

Just joking.

Too soon?

20. UK Freshmen
    11:54 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Good for Alex to come back and get his degree. However he has no chance to improve his game. He is what he is…..a strong guy who can jump. He has no face up game. Can’t shoot. And can’t defend the perimeter. Maybe he can take that degree and leverage it to be an account rep at Enterprise Rental Cars.

• jeffrey
      12:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Srew off UL fan

• RICK
      12:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Are you kidding or just jealous he’s coming back. Has one of the best coaches in the coutry. H e will improve.

• jeffrey
      12:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Screw*

• Bart
      12:07 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

• Rixter
      12:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

As a freshman, Alex led the team in 3 pt % (.424). He didn’t suddenly forget how to shoot.I look for him to be a double-double machine next year.

• T White
      12:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Wait. Are we talking about Poythress or Trez Harrell?

• Al/in/Indy
      12:21 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

You can always tell when a good decision has been made at UK…….All the line beards while getting ready for their shift to start at Ralleys, Wendy’s, and Papa John’s, Troll around on KSR….Oh man, I just can’t wait until they get their rears handed to them AGAIN at the bucket…ha ha ha

• And Your Chance?
      12:28 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

You fat tub of goo. A job at Enterprise is way beyond your ken. What a Jerk you are.

• Axe Cop
      12:51 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

This guy thinks he’s smart because he used the word leverage.

• Gayle Niemeyer
      4:42 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

You sir, are not a UK fan .How transparent can you be?

21. ShutUpAbout40-0
    11:54 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

For the life of me…quit talking about 40-0. Our guards are average at best and unproven. Yes, we have the best front court, but we are thin without the Harrison’s.

• jeffrey
      12:01 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

The twins do come back, then we could say they are proven.

• Jatt Mones
      2:12 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

40-0. I’m 35 but I people to think I am a 22 year old frat boy

22. Alex Poythress
    11:56 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Does Alex Poythress To Return To Kentucky??? http://wp.me/p4pLOr-fJ

23. Morehead Cat
    11:57 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

2014-15 is going to be a pretty good season

24. blah
    11:57 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

All he needs is a go to move and a better jumper and he will be in great shape for the first round next year. Go cats!!!

• nuzeguy
      1:16 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

And the ability to dribble and catch the ball. He’s still got a long way to go people. Hope he gets a lot better next yr

25. RichieFarmer'sMustache
    11:58 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Now we need the Twins to come back. Dakari would be icing on the cake, but with the front court we’ve got returning along with the new comers, we’ll be stacked there regardless. We need guards! We need the Twins!

26. KyKid
    11:58 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Wait, I thought all of Cal’s players were only one and done and didn’t care about their education?

27. KyKid
    11:59 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

But seriously, love the decision. Will roar next year!

28. Jughead
    11:59 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

AP for President!

29. uk22
    12:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great news! Glad to have him back. CATS

30. jpg
    12:01 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

This is great news!! Stop the 40-0 crap. Mostly, it was the media last year that pushed that junk down our throats.

If the Harrison’s come back, next season will be insane, but there is still no 40-0.

• Julie
      12:08 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m with you jpg…It’s great news, but no more 40-0 talk! It will be awesome if the twins return,too, that’s for sure!! 🙂

• BigBlueNationBigRedMachine
      12:30 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

If UNLV couldn’t do it in the 90s, and they had a darn good team, I don’t think anybody will. Too many games in one season, and I think losing can sometimes take the pressure that long undefeated record can have away. Just look at Florida this year. They had a what, a thirty game win streak going into the final four and arguably they looked worse in the season they had looked all season.

• BigBlueNationBigRedMachine
      12:32 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

That game*

• Downtown
      12:35 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think we really need that kind of crap either. Ask Wichita State how they felt about being undefeated and then had to go up against UK. To paraphrase Greg Marshall “If we lose the media eats us alive and its a bad season in everyone’s mind.” I have nodesire to even remotely put up with that next year.

31. jeffrey
    12:02 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m already giddy about next season

32. fromNashvegas
    12:02 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great decision Alex! Love having you in the BBN! Just a little unsolicited advice – follow Patrick Patterson’s example and work on that jump shot this summer. If you can consistently knock down the 12-15 footer with your athleticism and ability to attack the glass you could be the MVP for 14-15. Go CATS!

• RealCatsFan
      12:50 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yep, you nailed it – that and the 3-pointers. And don’t forget FT’s. 🙂 I’m sure the coaching staff has told him the same.

33. Yessir
    12:05 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Right on, Big Al

34. James
    12:08 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Welcome back Alex!!!

35. Cato
    12:10 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Super stoked! Alex is a class act and a much-welcomed addition to next year’s team. If he spends a lot of time in the off season working on his lateral quickness, he could elevate to a top-20 pick next year.

Alex-WCS-Towns in the front court???? With Lyles, and maybe Dakari??? Shonuffffffffffff.

• Mit
      12:22 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

He could be a lottery pick if he works on his handles a little more and develops a consistent pull up jumper or inside floater. Hell, given the uncertainty of next year’s draft, he could be top five if he has a monster season. I mean, he’s a guy with the body type and explosive verticality of Lebron. He’s got the athleticism, he just lacks the skill.

• Peas and Carrots
      4:03 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

There was a time his freshman season when he was considered a potential #1 overall.

36. bleedblueky
    12:10 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

It just made my day since Alex has always been one of my favorite Cal’s players 🙂

37. Michael F. Jox
    12:11 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

That’s awesome. Kind of knew this was gonna happen since he wasn’t gonna be drafted anyway, but still good news. Hopefully he’s ready to excel at being the garbage man around the rim again like he was late last season.

38. Next year
    12:14 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Just wondering if we lose the Harrison’s, would we have a consistent three point threat with the Twins and James gone? Any of the new guys that are coming in capable?

• UKBlue1!
      12:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Booker.

• Devin Booker
      12:20 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’ve knocked down a few threes in my day. Check me out!

• Mc
      12:26 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Booker. Towns. Ulis isn’t bad. Also Lyles can step out and knock down a few.

12:42 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Booker is a knockdown shooter, Ullis is capable, Towns can step out and hit jump shots. Outside of that you just hope Alex improves his jumper, Willis does what he needs to get on the court bc he can shoot it well, and if the twins leave then hopefully whatever 5th yr guy we would bring in would be at least a decent shooter.

39. UKgrad'13
    12:17 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Huge!

40. UKBlue1!
    12:17 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great decision on Alex’s part. I think next year he will be a great leader on our team.

41. Cal's Coffin
    12:18 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I know that AP needs to work on his outside game, but it is not as bleak as some of you make it sound. As a freshman, he shot 42% from three. Of course as a freshman that number dropped significantly. Still, for his career he is right at 34% and that % is right there with Andrew, Aaron, and Young. His outside shot looks good and has good mechanics. He just needs to put up 1000’s of shots over the summer so that he is more confident in it. Poythress is one that I was really hoping would return.
    Beast mode ACTIVATE.

• CatBlue in LR
      5:26 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

MOST of his mechanics are good. But, he’s gotten into a bad habit of leaning back on his jump shot. He needs his momentum going toward the basketball. Also, a little too much arch most of the time, although, when it comes to arch, too much is better than too little.

I’d also like to see A.P. put in a lot of work on his hands and hand-eye coordination. Way too many times he wasn’t able to handle interior passes or hang on to rebounds.

42. Hoosier Cat
    12:20 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Awesome…for BBN. hope it doesn’t somehow backfire on his future $$$$

• Rixter
      12:41 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Do you think he was going to be offered big $$$$$ in this year’s draft?

43. APFORLIFE
    12:23 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Let’s see some highlights!

44. Ray in Paducah
    12:24 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Woohoo! Great move Alex, we need ya’. And you’ll almost have your degree!

45. BigBlueNationBigRedMachine
    12:25 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Anyone else feel like all this undefeated talk are just rival fans trying to jinx us?

46. Cato
    12:27 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

One thing I’ve overlooked in the process of being so stinking happy that Alex is coming back …

With definites: WCS, Poythress, Lyles, Towns.

With maybe: Dakari

Where does that leave the other definite, Marcus Lee, in all this? I think Alex’s decision is going to help create a very beastly Marcus Lee to anchor the 2015-2016 team down low. I hope he keeps his head up throughout next season if his minutes are still kind of low.

• Cato
      12:28 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

(Marcus Lee that is)

• raccoon
      12:47 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

No reason that Lee can’t compete for minutes at the 4-spot – and may be able to flex to a 3 especially if Cal runs a zone, with Towns being a good outside shooter at the 4. Yeah, if Dakari comes back or not it will be a crowded front court, but that just means that whoever plays the best will play. I’m really excited about Towns and Lyles, but don’t underestimate the importance of the more known quantity we have in Marcus Lee. I think Lyles will end up starting myself, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Lee did or if he ends up getting 20+ minutes a game.

47. CB
    12:28 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

So excited to hear this announcement. In my opinion this was just as big as the WCS announcement. AP is one of the most underrated players in college basketball. I would argue that this is bigger than the Dakari Johnson announcement (not discarding that announcement at all). When you look at AP you see a strong, physically dominant player that knows what he is good at where he needs to improve. That is what a pro looks like. So many time people look at wheter or not a guy is ready for the NBA as to whether he can come into the league and dominate. Look up and down NBA rosters and tell me how many guys on each team dominate vs how many physically gifted role players there are then tell me that AP coming back is not a HUGE deal. In my opinion we need to get a lot more excitement around this announcement. Big step towards #9! GO BIG BLUE!

48. Welcome Back
    12:38 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Alex, work on those ball handling skills this summer and once you develop those skills, you will be unstoppable my man!

49. Kevin C.
    12:39 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Talking about 40-0 is stupid, obviously. We should all be hoping for 6-0….in the NCAA tourney.

50. jch67
    12:42 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Fantastic!!

Now we need to start convincing him he should stick around and get a graduate degree!!!

51. Velvet Milkman
    12:45 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Love me some Alpo!!!

52. bbn4life
    12:45 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Very mature, great choice by this guy. Hit the weights like a madman and be a little more assertive next year he could be a lottery pick. I’d be so pumped if this guy played into a top 10 pick next year. Thanks for coming back young man!!

53. Yessssss
    12:54 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great news, Alex has improved so much and I think this is the year he goes Jamal Mashburn on everybody.

54. RealCatsFan
    12:55 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I love having Alex back as a player, but having him back as a student is huge too. I say that not only because it helps the team’s APR score, but it will help Alex to make smart decisions about his money going forward. I think one of the things that the NBA should discuss in their negotiations is requiring the players to take some type of business and investment courses so that they have at least a rudimentary knowledge on how to handle money. There have been a lot of sad stories about players pizzing away millions to all the leeches and hangers on who will come their way.

55. Bada Bing
    12:56 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

“Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof!!!”

56. Leslie
    1:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Excellent news!!!! And yes I’m Happy, Happy, Happy!!!!

57. Montgobg
    1:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great news. Alex will bring his talent and maturity to this group and will give us that punch that might put up #9. Great to have you back big guy. Look forward to watching you again another year.

58. timer
    1:14 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

It’s official….Alex is my favorite player since James Lee.
    Go Cats!

59. struggler
    1:31 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

NICE! The kid is outta this world athletic – is figuring it out and will be a beast next season… NO ONE – can out-hop this guy!

Billy Donovan, the collective SEC and yes… UL just crapped their pants a little!

60. Lottery Pick
    1:32 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

This kid was supposed to be a 1 and done lottery pick. Cal has done a poor job developing him. Don’t kid yourself with the education thing, Poythress would not have been drafted this year

• Hayley's quadriceps
      1:59 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Don’t kid yourself thinking your mom doesn’t sleep around.

• You suck
      3:54 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Your mothers dog is your real father, Lottery Pick. That continuous drooling, thick back hair and incessant desire to eat shit is a dead giveaway!

61. As long as we win the 40th game on April 6 next year I’m good!

62. DHo
    1:51 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great to have Alex back. I think we will have more of the same from him… which is great.

If the twins come back, we can put talented, EXPERIENCED players on the floor at all five spots if and when we need to.

Wow…… now 40-0 is impossible but I’m looking for a #1 seed and that team could do it.

63. bleedsblue
    10:47 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

Yes sir!!!!! Big time right there. Poythress thanku sir. The descion i was waitin on. Go Cats!! Movin with the ball, if he develop’s his handles more. With the way he attacks the rim. He’d be unstopable!