It was one year ago today when Alex Poythress tore his ACL

Andy Lyons | Getty Images

It was on this day one year ago when Alex Poythress tore his ACL, thus ending his 2014-15 season with Kentucky and its platoon system. The injury occurred in practice on a breakaway layup with no contact, and the news rocked Big Blue Nation.

At the time of the injury, Poythress had started all eight games in the Cats’ first platoon. He was playing elite defense at the forward position, holding opposing players he guarded to an absurd 12.8% from the field. That is about as good as it gets.

Now, Poythress is back as this team’s lone senior and one of the most important pieces on the team. He has three double-doubles in six games, after recording only two in his career before this season.

In John Calipari’s preseason Q&A, he said Kentucky will go as Alex Poythress goes. If Poythress continues to play like he did Wednesday night, Kentucky will go far.

It’s so good to have him back.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for It was one year ago today when Alex Poythress tore his ACL

1. Stives
    11:42 am December 11, 2015 Permalink

Need to be careful with that headline. When you scroll down you think he just tore his acl. Made my heart drop for a second…

2. Booby Petrino
    11:42 am December 11, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for nearly giving me a heart attack with those first 5 words in the headline!

3. Poppschmidty
    11:46 am December 11, 2015 Permalink

Not cool…not cool at all.

4. tWildcat
    11:52 am December 11, 2015 Permalink

My heart just stopped for a second. That headline scared the crap out of me.

5. Drew Franklin
    11:54 am December 11, 2015 Permalink

My bad. I didn’t read it that way. It’s corrected.

• Poppschmidty
      11:57 am December 11, 2015 Permalink

It’s understandable when you’re in pain. We forgive.

6. brian
    12:06 pm December 11, 2015 Permalink

What did the original headline say?

• Drew Franklin
      12:09 pm December 11, 2015 Permalink

“Alex Poythress tore his ACL one year ago today”

I didn’t really think that one through.

7. david8577
    12:49 pm December 11, 2015 Permalink

He certainly looked better in the last game. Someone must have told him when he goes to the basket, not to go completely under the basket.

8. RealCatsFan
    1:27 pm December 11, 2015 Permalink

Alex looks like he is slowly getting his “beastyness” back again, but I think he is still not quite all the way back physically with his vertical and his explosiveness. Hopefully he will be there soon – say by the Louisville game.

9. inside info2
    1:36 pm December 11, 2015 Permalink

yeah, but has anyone identified the chick over Alex’s left shoulder?