Alex Poythress suffered a knee injury in practice, WKYT calling it a torn ACL

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

WKYT coming through with a late report that Alex Poythress suffered a knee injury during Thursday’s practice. His status for Saturday’s game and the extent of the injury is unknown.

We’ll find out Friday afternoon when Calipari addresses the media at 2:00 pm.

**** UPDATE ****

WKYT now calling it a torn ACL.

Read the story here.

Awful, awful, awful news for a great guy on and off the court.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Alex Poythress suffered a knee injury in practice, WKYT calling it a torn ACL

1. millertime98
    12:33 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

thank God everyone came back. How crazy is it that even with three injuries UK will still be favored over unc?

• wu slang
      1:27 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

I don’t give a damn about UNC. I worry about the well-being of Poythress.

2. winagain1
    12:34 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Thoughts and prayers for Alex. He’s a great young man and I’m sure hoping it turns out to not be season ending for him.

• winagain1
      12:43 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Just saw the post was updated with terrible looking news. Feel terrible. Speedy recovery!

3. BigBlueFan
    12:36 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Confirmed by WKYT… Alex tore his ACL. That really sucks for Alex. My prayers go out to him.

4. Katya
    12:53 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Who moves up to play the 3 in squad 1? Lyles or Booker maybe? This was the worst news I could’ve gotten tonight in UK news.

• Kevin C
      3:23 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Lyles to Blue squad, and Willis takes Lyles’ spot on White.

• ukjaybrat
      7:26 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

when ap was sick for the boston game, they started hawkins in his place. He’s the better defender, but willis would provide a much needed boost to the shooting. i feel like both of them will get a little more PT in his place.

5. Gharris
    1:06 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

This is more important than winning games, this is a kids future. We live you Alex and are praying for you.

6. CATandMONKEY
    1:12 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Good luck and a super speedy recovery to Alex. Wishing him well.

7. Buckets
    4:05 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Dammit. Get well soon, Alex.

8. RealCatsFan
    6:43 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

That absolutely sucks, and I feel bad for Alex. I know he graduates this year and was planning to take a shot at the NBA, but I wonder if this means he may come back for his senior year. I know the combine that UK had back in the fall will help with this, but he might be best off to rehab and come back stronger and better next year. Maybe work on the outside shot. He would probably be the top returning player if he comes back. Prayers to Alex for a speedy recovery.

• CatsfaninFL
      7:03 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Yah, he was going to be a 2nd round pick anyway this year unless he jumped up in latter part of the season. I can’t see a team picking him up injured knowing it may be November/December before he’s back practicing again (and he wouldn’t be guaranteed a roster spot as a 2nd round pick). I would think coming back for his senior year would be beneficial both for NBA prospects and to get his knee good and recovered. I really really hate this for him…he seems like such a great kid and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Get well soon, Alex!

9. wildcatdude
    6:56 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Prayers for Alex and his family as he heals from this injury. I pray that he comes back stronger than ever. It sucks for a great young man that has given his heart and soul to this university and team.
    I hope that the platoon system has given some of the other players experience that helps the team replace Alex’s production.

10. Ken Grizzle
    7:58 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

I just hate this for Alex. Here’s hoping for his speedy recovery.

11. Time Expired
    8:10 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Alex will be missed on this team more for his defense and rebounding than maybe his scoring, but a part that just cannot be replaced. A crappy way to end his season and best of luck to a fine young man in what ever he chooses from here.