Alex Poythress says he’s received multiple training camp invitations

Christopher Hanewinckel, USA TODAY Sports

Christopher Hanewinckel, USA TODAY Sports

Christopher Hanewinckel, USA TODAY Sports

Alex Poythress’ future in the NBA looked bleak after a disappointing performance in the NBA Summer League, but he told reporters today that he has training camp invitations from a few teams and isn’t giving up on his dreams.

“I’ve talked to a couple teams about [training] camps, so I’ll probably going to do that. I just can’t say what teams yet. Nothing official yet,” Alex said. “Teams are feeling optimistic about me, so I’m just taking it one day at a time. It’s a long process, it’s a long road. I knew it was going to be like this. I’m just ready for it.”

Before the draft, there were some reports that Alex’s knees hadn’t fully recovered from his injuries, but when asked today, he said he’s feeling healthy and even added a few inches to his vertical.

“Knees are great. I’ve been training out in LA, doing a lot of rehab and PT. Added a couple more inches to my vertical. I feel fine, feel real healthy. I’m ready to roll.”

Go get ’em, Alex.

8 Comments for Alex Poythress says he’s received multiple training camp invitations

1. theWilkman
    4:02 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

Coach Cal should’ve talked Mike Tomlin into giving Alex a few reps at TE while they were at Steelers’ training camp. There isn’t a DB or LB in the league that could cover him, especially in the end zone.

• WeareBBN
      4:16 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

POY is way to soft for the NFL, both mentally and physically. Is why he went from a potential lottery guy from high school to probably playing across the pond for a few years. Great kid, smart kid, so he will do well in life just not in playing sports.

• theWilkman
      4:25 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

I disagree. I don’t think it was a matter of being soft as it was he couldn’t get out of his own head. He overthought everything and it made him timid. If his job was simplified down to, “run this route, jump and catch the ball” I think he’d be successful. My point is that if I ran both an NFL and an NBA team, I know which one I’d rather have him on.

2. donjohnson
    4:39 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

Alex just is not great at BASKETBALL. He and ulis are complete opposites. Poythress has all the physical tools and very limited intangibles and vice versa. Ulis is the least athletic small guy I can remember. Poythress was a great high school player b/c of his physical dominance. As others caught up it was obvious. There is a place for him in the nba if he is willing to be the gabage guy as there is very few with his size and athelticicsm. Plus he was over rated a bit b/c that high school class was one of the worst in recent memory. He would not have been a top 20 player this year

• Bobbum Man
      4:42 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

Ullis is very athletic… He’s just shorter than average but he’s still very athletic

• Catsby80
      7:58 am August 2, 2016 Permalink

Just because Ulis is shorter than average does not mean that he is less athletic. You’re a fool if you honestly think that. I would argue that he has above average speed for a guard in the NBA and his hands are right up there at the top in terms of quickness.

Oh and I would gladly take Ulis on my team over Dellevadova ANY DAY. It’s not the size of the lion… Don’t be foolish.

3. bbanks81
    4:44 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

^^^^donjohnson are you drunk or are you kidding? Ulis is the LEAST athletic “small guy” you can remember? OK….next

• donjohnson
      5:23 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

Name me a small guy that’s legit in the NBA or has been recently that’s less athletic than he is. The only one I can even remotely think of is Thomas who has 50 pounds on him. People forget that most guys even Delladova for example who ulis is more athletic than is 6’4″. You guys are getting very atheltic in the nba confused with very athletic evn say in college. If he ever wants to.start everybody he plays against will be bigger and stronger and most will also be more athletic