Alex Poythress insists his confidence isn’t a problem

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 3.45.02 PM

Alex Poythress still battles issues with his consistency but he insists he and his teammates show up everyday prepared and ready to go to work. Poythress told Alan Cutler his mindset is the same when he is playing well and playing poorly.

When asked if his game-sealing free throws against Mississippi State helped his confidence moving forward, Poythress said, “My confident is already great. I don’t need any help with my confidence anymore.”

So it’s not a confidence issue?

“No not at all.”

Poythress also said his own ups and downs can be a little frustrating, but he doesn’t worry about it as much if the team is winning games.

Hear from Poythress and Derek Willis in the video below:

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Alex Poythress insists his confidence isn’t a problem

1. Long Dong Silver
    4:28 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Then what is his problem? Is he just lazy?

• Kevin C
      5:32 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Lazy, passive, inconsistent…all of the above.

• ClutchCargo
      5:40 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

It’s pretty obvious that he is just not passionate about basketball. That’s different than being lazy, passive, etc. By all accounts he has a solid work ethic off the court and in the classroom, which doesn’t indicate laziness to me.

• EdC
      8:46 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

I think ClutchCargo has it. Put an MKG head or a Ulis head on that body and you get a monster but what’s there is more of a 6th or 7th man just happy to be there.

• Long Dong Silver
      9:31 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

I’m leaning lazy. You guys name symptoms. Lazy is the disease.

2. Mercer33
    4:28 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

“My Confident” Who’s mistake is that Drew? Yours? or Alex’s?

3. bosshogg24
    4:36 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Being lazy and giving a 50% effort will put him out of basketball come spring. He will probably be teaching school next year!

4. rainman
    4:38 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Wouldn’t you just love ti sit and have a one on one with Alex? Do you think these kids give any thought whatsoever to how his lack of intensity is going to impact his future? Just sacrificing one final year, he could be set for life, but instead he chooses to go the easy route! I’m sorry, I don’t get it. Given the chance I would put my entire life on hold to make absolutely sure I gave everything I had to impress scouts, and make sure I was a high draft pick!
    With ONE good contract, Alex could earn more than an average Joe, like myself, could earn in a lifetime on a job you hate! I just wonder if anyone has ever said something like this to him? The kid has all the ability in the world, but seems destined to waste it!

GO ALEX, GO BIG BLUE!

5. winagain1
    5:30 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Your my friend and my confidant

• truBLU
      2:12 am January 15, 2016 Permalink

Nice golden girls reference

6. 2thepoint
    6:10 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Let Alex decide what he wants to do. He is smart enough to make his own decision. If he doesn’t get drafted I would love for him to stay around the program. One of the nicest young men ever.

7. beaudiddy
    6:47 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

He’s a sissy.

8. James
    7:02 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

bhai
    Sometimes I think he’s just not happy..This is the first year I’ve noticed him negatively responding to Cals’ getting on him when returning to the bench.

9. Saul T. Nuts
    7:24 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Everyone is over-reacting, and Alex knows it. Alex didn’t get many shots against Miss St. The defense was letting the guards shoot, and there just weren’t many shots for Alex or Marcus. Also, Miss St.’s center was very strong and an excellent rebounder, and he did an excellent job on Alex. Sure, Alex could have maybe gotten a couple more rebounds (he had 8!), but in general, he did ok, not great, but ok.

• rainman
      7:34 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Tell that to Cal! I dare you! LOL

• EdC
      8:48 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

2 of those 8 came from a tap from Ulis and one that made it all the way to the floor and happened to bounce to him.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:52 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

But those other 6…….

10. Bluebloodtoo
    11:09 am January 15, 2016 Permalink

I don’t personally think it’s a confidence thing. I think he’s too laid back/willing to defer. That’s a great personality trait to have and very beneficial to the team concept, but too much of anything isn’t good. It’s obvious that he can take over games when he feels like he needs to do that; we’ve seen it many times. How does he convince himself that he needs to do that? How do you light that fire in him in the middle of the game that he needs to take over. How does HE light that fire when he needs to?