Alabama’s Nate Oats calls out Coach K’s COVID comments

You can say this for Alabama coach Nate Oats: he ain’t scared. When asked about Mike Krzyzewski’s comments from Tuesday night about how playing during a pandemic doesn’t “feel right,” Oats didn’t hesitate to take out a bazooka and fire away at college basketball’s winningest coach.

“Let me ask you something,” Oats said to WBRC’s Christina Chambers, the reporter who asked the question. “Do you think if Coach K hadn’t lost the two non-conference games at home that he’d still be saying that? [Chambers: ‘Probably not’] Okay, I just wanted you to say it, not me.”

BOOM. Oats, who had COVID back in October, called out coaches for not wearing masks properly then argued that playing the season is crucial for student-athletes’ mental health.

“I see all these other guys who haven’t had [COVID] and they have their masks down the whole game. Like they’ve got a chin strap on, so if they’re really worried about COVID, you’d think their mask would be up the whole game, right?”

“We 100% should be playing basketball,” he continued. “Humans aren’t made to sit alone in isolation for weeks and weeks on end. We’ve got to be careful about how we do life but you’ve still got to do life. A huge part of life for all these guys I’m coaching is being in the gym playing basketball. So I think their mental health is in a much better spot playing basketball and I think the school, the SEC, and the NCAA have done a really good job making sure we’re not putting them in danger. So, no, I don’t agree with them at all.”

I’m sure that will go over well in Durham.

44 Comments for Alabama’s Nate Oats calls out Coach K’s COVID comments

1. Bluehender
    3:55 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Good for him. He’s probably right

• 2andToodleLoo
      4:32 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Too bad Count K will pull some NCAA strings and get Bama on probation now while they look the other way a dUKe’s bags of cash.

• Bluenblood
      7:09 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Poked the bear. Big bear

2. ukkatzfan
    4:02 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Article could have been better with Ryan’s Coach K/Truman Capote voice worked in somehow. hahahaha

3. Big Bry 1
    4:07 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

KSR- remind everyone of Coach Oats comments before the UK/Buffalo game in Boise… he often leads with his mouth

4. RexRox
    4:16 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Coach K would not be talking if Duke was 4-0. Coach K usually has an agenda.

5. blueballs80
    4:18 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

He all said what we were thinking. Good for him.

6. lexslamman
    4:27 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Shut down all sports until March if you care one iota about public health, safety and doing the right thing.

• east-ky-boy
      4:40 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m in quarantine at my house WITH covid and I still disagree with you!

• 4everUKBlue
      9:56 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

The right thing is live your life, take off the stupid mask. refuse the vaccine and stand up to the slave masters. Or you can just roll out the red carpet for the new world order.

• spincr4hire
      9:18 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

Oh boy. Anti-Vaxxer here folks ^. Prob a flat-earther too I’m guessing ?

• 4everUKBlue
      11:21 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

Oh boy, indoctrinated sheep here folks^. Probably believes Oswald was the lone gunman and there were WMD’s in Iraq. Go ahead and take the vaccine, I’ll bet you I have fewer health issues than you, since I have none at almost 70.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:23 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

And you just proved you’ve done no research on what’s actually in vaccines and the health issues attributed to them.

• spincr4hire
      1:02 pm December 11, 2020 Permalink

Ok trumper

• 4everUKBlue
      11:53 pm December 11, 2020 Permalink

Guess you can’t read either because if you could you’d know I support NO politician, they’re all criminals. Why would you vote in a rigged election anyway?

7. UKiyaoyas
    4:28 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

K probably already has the SS in Alabama…

8. lexslamman
    4:40 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

We can’t travel or see family for the holidays but kids and coaches can zigzag around the country to put a ball through a hoop. That’s some grade a hypocrisy.

• TBW3011
      4:50 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

You can travel and see family. You may choose not to, but you can.

• pthutch
      4:52 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s a policy issue at the top of the food chain. Not the kids and coaches decision only.

• BigBlue4Three
      5:06 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Who’s stopping you from traveling to see your family? Last I checked this was still a free country and there is absolutely no law enforcement officer in this country going to stop you from getting in your vehicle and hitting whatever road you desire.

Hosted a real nice Thanksgiving dinner for my family and we all enjoyed the hell out of it. Guess what, we used common sense and any family member that didn’t feel well or wasn’t comfortable with the crowd didn’t show up.

Sheep….smh

• 4everUKBlue
      5:34 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Careful bringing common sense into the conversation one here BB4three with all the Chicken Littles on here.

• mashman 93
      5:39 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Talk to the politicians that have traveling all over the country yeah they really give a shit.

• mashman 93
      6:00 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

been^^^

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:19 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

I see your point BB43, but aren’t some states and cities still requiring you to quarantine when you get there? Maybe not, but I remember NYC and some other places were requiring a 14 day quarantine upon arrival, or face the threat of a pretty stiff fine.

Still, I agree with your overall point. I went to visit family for Thanksgiving, but none of us live anywhere near Kommiefornia or New York.

• EdC
      9:09 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

“Require” with no teeth, zero enforcement or ability to enforce.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:37 pm December 11, 2020 Permalink

Ed, I don’t think that’s true, at least not if you arrive by plane or train because I believe they were “checking” people in if you will. I think I also heard that NYC even started setting up checkpoints on throughways into the city for those who arrive by car. If that is so, they know who you are and can check on you, unless you get away with lying about where you are staying I suppose. However, if you are there to see family they may know that.

Anyway, my memory may be wrong on some of those details, but I KNOW I remember seeing that commie Deblasio saying they were going to track and fine people who don’t quarantine according to his edict. I just don’t know that I am correct on all the finer points.

9. Lip Man 1
    5:01 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Well coach, like I’ve said in the past you can’t legislate against stupidity although it wouldn’t hurt to try given the circumstances.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:31 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Lip Man you’re the stupidity you speak of legislating against. Just stay in you bubble if you’re that scared.

• mashman 93
      5:40 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

He won’t shut up 4ever he fancies himself as a crusader.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:53 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

What he doesn’t know mashman is that he is a crusader for communism.

• mashman 93
      9:01 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Totally agree 4ever

10. FinnaGoHAM
    5:07 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

I just went back and read the transcript of Coach K’s comments after they beat Bellarmine 76-54 on Friday, December 4. He made ZERO comments about playing basketball in a pandemic after his team won. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA. So forgive me if I think K is being less than genuine. Also, he’s COACH K. If he was truly concerned he could shut down his team through the end of the month, let them go home for Christmas, and bring them back in January (or whenever he deems it safe) and people would sit up and take notice; the dominoes would start to fall and college basketball would go on hiatus for at least three weeks. He has that kind of reach. The fact he’s not doing it shows how hypocritical he really is.

• Keets
      5:57 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Good point. He could shut his team down now, forfeit remaining December games, kids quarantine in time to be around family for Christmas, come back after and quarantine more, then resume in January. If December forfeits cost them a tourney bid, well that’s just how it goes and well worth his kids’ well-being — if that’s concern. And like you say, he probably wouldn’t even have to forfeit games because he’s a big enough domino.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:20 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Outstanding comments from both of you.

11. yoshukai
    5:08 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Its not just about his 2 losses . He knows he has a bad team that’s going to have MANY more losses . The last time he had a team like this he took the season off because of “back problems” and had the season erased from his coaching record .

• 4everUKBlue
      5:32 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Bingo!

• catatbeach
      5:11 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

K couldn’t set on the bench that season but was on ESPN 5 times a week commentating games

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:24 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t bother reading that, and he might be right, but the “We shouldn’t even try” crowd was wrong about football. I know, I know, football is outdoors. But the same guy who wrote that article probably said the same thing about football. Many did, like Darren Rovell and so many others. They were wrong. The Big 10 commish was part of that crowd, and he may have cost Ohio State a shot at the natty. We all knew there was no way the Big 10 or PAC 12 was going to play football in the spring. It just wouldn’t be doable.

I hope the chicken littles are wrong about bball, but we shall see.

• sharpshooter81
      9:27 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

That article is the most idiotic one I have seen in a while. He names one player mind you that has my cardiomyopathy but he fails to tell that there were numerous players last year that got this same heart inflammation from the flu. The flu damages and kills more young people than the COVID will. Damn does any media writer do any research before they write down the sewage coming out of their mouth. Evidently not!!’

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    6:17 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

He ain’t wrong. Coach Oats’ stock just went up in my book. I wish he had unloaded even more though. That was actually somewhat tepid when he told the reporter he wanted her to say it instead of saying it himself. Still, I’m glad he said what he did.

13. IndianaSucks
    6:23 pm December 10, 2020 Permalink

Mad respect. Nothing wrong with calling people out on their bullsh!t. He’s full of it and about time someone called him out. Hilarious and he’s 100% right.

14. ukkatzfan
    12:16 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like he listens to KSR in his office with the door locked.

15. millertim
    8:13 am December 11, 2020 Permalink

AMEN, Coach Oats! I am now a fan… until you play UK!!