monk-bama

Alabama would not go away, but Kentucky found a way to win and advance to the SEC Championship.

It was another slow start from Kentucky, but the Cats quickly responded.  Hovering around a ten-point lead, Alabama made a significant run in the middle of the second half to cut it to one with 6:17 to play.

Then, De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk balled.

Monk got out of his shooting funk to score 20 points.  Fox continued his fantastic play since the regular season finale, leading all scorers with 28 points.  The Kentucky defense tightened up to hold Alabama without a field goal for four crucial minutes down the stretch, allowing the Cats to clinch the five-point victory.

Kentucky will play the winner of Vanderbilt/Arkansas tomorrow at 1:00 ET.

bama

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

39 Comments for Alabama Hangs Around, but Kentucky Wins 79-74 to Advance to the SEC Championship

1. DelrayCat
    3:28 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Shows and/or Greene reffed games are ALWAYS tough ones to win…for whatever reason.

• EdC
      3:33 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Yea we all know the reason. Look no further than phantom fouls on UK players while often no calls when they get hammered to the floor.

• WeareBBN
      6:06 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Ignorant comments again….we shot 39 free throws to their 20 and they had several more fouls on them than on us and people bitch about it. IGNORANT. Monk could have been called for a charge and they call a block, did you gripe about that? We create alot of our fouls by being out of position or reaching on defense.

• donjohnson
      6:18 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I thought this particular game was officiated Okay except for one on Fox and Briscoe first 2. Nothing makes me realize that people don’t know anything about basketball more than when they use free throw attempts and number of fouls to discuss whether officiating was equal. Not to mention our last 10 or so at the end

• WeareBBN
      6:41 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

thanks dj…i used numbers to relate to the comments here but watching the game the officiating, as in most cases, was not against us like fans here say after every game. I used the numbers to let them know it could not have been that bias despite who called the game. I have officiated at High School and the AAU Nationals for several years so know about basketball, started officiating after I stopped coaching. The rules are more of the problem than the officials, still different officials will call games different based on their interpretation of the rule. Was watching Cincy vs UConn and there were 18 fouls in less than 14 minutes, quit watching. Players must adapt to how that group is calling the game. Still after every loss we have several fans just blame officiating and have no clue, even after wins they complain.

• catsarerunnin
      8:15 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Well since you have officiated high school AND AAU,clearly you are an expert in officiating….

• runningunnin.454
      12:29 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

WeareBBn is the epitome of ignorance. We complain about SEC referees because they are the worst in the entire country.
      UK vs Alabama…48 fouls.
      Iowa State vs W.Virginia…32 fouls.
      I think I know which game a “referee fan” would want to watch.

2. DelrayCat
    3:30 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

If UK wins tomorrow….I don’t understand why it is a foregone conclusion that UNC get the #1 over UK????
    They lost their tourney early, and last time I checked, we beat them heads up on a neutral court, have a better record, and won our conference regular season. Stinks of bias.

3. catsarerunnin
    3:34 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Yeah baby!!!!

4. KatFromHell
    3:36 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

The selection committee is desperate to make Duke a #1, so if they win tonight they
    will replace UNC who in turn will replace UK as a #2 if the Cats lose tomorrow.

5. Harrelson55
    3:42 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Bam has to shoot more then 4 fgs, please. We have to play through him.

6. bgkycat
    3:42 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Bam played 39 minutes. If he gets in foul trouble, we’re in trouble. Humphries has got to figure out a way to hold down the fort for 8 minutes a game.

• DelrayCat
      3:49 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Most games moves too fast for Humphries. There will be a few teams when he will be able to perform…half-court teams and those looking to slow the pace. But big and/or fast athletic teams…he is a huge liability. Plus the fact he is a little gun-shy since Cal yanks him in about 30 seconds every other time he’s on the floor. But he does seem to make a high number of bonehead plays.

• EdC
      3:52 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. Hard to imagine that Wynyard can’t give at least as good a defensive and board effort as Humphries has over the last 10 games.

• bgkycat
      4:01 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I understand the liabilities Humphries presents. I guess a better way of putting it is somebody has got to step up & steal some minutes. If we draw a team with a Caleb Swannigan or even a Tyler Davis type of quality big guy and then Bam gets in foul trouble, we’ll be lucky to survive.

7. BigBlueJimB
    3:47 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Why does Cal let Bam run all over the court chasing guards? He should be under the basket!

8. You guys, what happens tomorrow has no bearing on seeding. However, I agree that there is bias in the process. They’ll use our tough game today to job us.

• catsarerunnin
      4:13 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I agree. The seeding will be set in stone before the game is played tomorrow.

9. bgkycat
    3:49 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Also, SEC officiating has been horrendous all year. They let Avery Johnson make 2 calls today. The Briscoe flagrant foul & the non shot clock violation when they said Gabriel had possession.

• DelrayCat
      3:51 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. So a coach runs out on the floor to scream at the refs…and they call a technical on the OTHER team…sounds about right for this crew.

• WeareBBN
      6:10 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

1. It was a dead ball media timeout so he can be on the court. 2. the contact after the play can be called a T and was in this case and would be in most cases. If it was our guy hit you would scream for an ejection and you know it.
      Also on the shot clock non call he had to have possession to throw the ball back in to nearly half court.
      Save the ref blaming for our losses like our fans normally do.

• Booby Petrino
      7:04 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

The contact was on the play, not after. It shouldn’t have been a flagrant but Johnson talked the refs into it, as bg was insinuating. Also, he didn’t have to have possession to fling the ball back in the play area. He just flung it. Quit trying to act like you know it all just bc you claim to have coached some hs ball. Big $hit… No one cares and you’re wrong here.

• runningunnin.454
      12:09 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

WeareBBN is not a UK fan, he’s a fan of SEC referees; and, he obviously doesn’t realize he’s supporting the absolute worst officials in the country. Their games are foul fests that totally ruin the game.
      I watched Iowa State vs West Virginia; it was a war and a very rough game…total fouls=32
      Our game today was tame in comparison and total fouls =48.

10. Fake Donald Trump
    3:55 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Doug Shows and Tony Greene are the worst officials out there. They are a disaster and have to go, just like Obamacare. They’re failures to the American people and college basketball fans everywhere. Really stupid people, that I can tell you. That was clearly a shot clock violation in the game in the second half.

• MrNoItAll
      4:10 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Today’s shoehorn award winner.

• Seven Ate Nine
      4:19 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Of all the attempts at humor I’ve seen, this is one.

• keiths
      4:52 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

You’re not funny, Stop trying

• BlueWildcat_99
      4:53 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

I agree that SEC officiating is hands down the worst in the country; particularly Shows. But please don’t make stupid analogies on which you now nothing about. Obama care literally saved my step dad from financial ruin. Saved him around $600 a month from his cobra insurance with better coverage and a much lower deductible.

• catsarerunnin
      6:08 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

While the ACA may be good for a few it’s been a disaster for many many more. We lost our plan that we had for 20 years. Remember you can keep your plan period? Our premiums and deductibles have tripled. The Affordable Care Act is only affordable for a few.

• WeareBBN
      6:03 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Our guy controlled the ball to throw it back in bounds, control is possession so it can’t be a shot clock violation if we had the ball for half a second. I do think he had to control the ball to throw it back like he did.

• donjohnson
      6:22 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

It did save your dad. I’m glad he is better. Tell him he is welcome because I paid for it

• 3wildcat3
      6:54 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Donjohnson, that’s a jerk move. I’m conservative and not a huge fan of it, as I believe there may be better ways. I work hard fir my money, but even if some of my money goes to save just one life, I keep my mouth shut. What you said in reply was classless. You should be ashamed of yourself and go sit in a corner and question your life decisions. If someone said that to you, like most of my fellow conservatives, you’d be butt hurt all night long. You’re the reason we conservatives are looked at as thoughtless jerks that do nothing but complain. I’m sure, too, that you are for trump’ s country ban too, yet at some point this year, you probably rooted for one of our Wildcats who came from one of those countries. Shame on you. God forbid one day if you ever need someone’s help, will you refuse it because you did not help yourself? Even if it meant saving you or someone you love’s life?

• donjohnson
      7:37 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Not sure why you brought up the country ban…nothing was said about that. I didn’t mean anything personal with my comment. I just think people who benefit dont always realize that the price of insurance for middle class went up significantly for others to have access. I’m pretty much completely anti politics and think it is THE problem with our country. I include the media into politics

• MrNoItAll
      8:09 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Premiums will continue to rise after repeal of the ACA but the profits will go to the Insurer CEOs where they rightfully belong.

• Fake Donald Trump
      10:00 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

Keiths, Get a sense of humor. the guy posting before you saw it was a joke and a parody of what President Trump says and/or does.

• MrNoItAll
      4:53 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

Trump is so inept he’s beyond parody. The choice we were given was between a psychopathic buffoon and the Clinton Crime Syndicate. Lose/lose.

• catsarerunnin
      7:57 am March 12, 2017 Permalink

I prefer a buffoon…

11. Luether
    7:28 pm March 11, 2017 Permalink

12 missed FTs doesn’t cut it…