harrison-twins

Popular thought is that the Harrison Twins are likely to enter the NBA Draft, but according to their father, that may not necessarily be the case. Aaron Harrison Sr. told the Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker it’s “not really” fair to say that the two are leaning towards the draft:

The twins’ father, Aaron Sr., said Wednesday morning the family is “just talking about” the decision. There’s no timetable for an announcement. “We’re going to sit down and have a little talk and weigh the pros and the cons,” Harrison Sr. said. “We’re weighing the good against the bad: what they want to do, what they should do, all that.” Asked if it’s fair to say they’re leaning toward leaving: “Not really.” And if they could conceivably come back: “Yes.” The deciding factor: “What they want. That’s pretty much it.”

Take it for what it’s worth and all of the hat tips to Kyle for the scoop.

[Courier-Journal]

25 Comments for Aaron Harrison Sr. tells Courier-Journal it’s “not really” fair to say Twins are leaning toward draft

1. Catsby80
    11:37 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

hmmm… well this would be an interesting change of events… would love to have them back.

2. kentuckyjoe
    11:41 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

This is going to set a lot of people’s hair on fire but so be it. I appears to this camper that Coach would prefer they not come back. Why else would he say he’s going to build the team around Tyler Ulis? That makes no sense. Why not build the team around the twins. Or better yet, why say you are building the team around anyone? Why not just build the team. Why else would Coach say 5 to 7 players are leaving unless he had been told that by them. If this post is correct then he has not been told that. I think Coach wants 5 to 7 players to leave and he’s saying and doing things to make that happen.

• symphonist41169
      11:48 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I can see that for some of them, but why would he want Trey and Devin leave? WCS & Karl need to get the 1st round money, the twins leaving opens doors for potentially better incoming freshmen guards. Dakari isn’t ready for the NBA but probably not as good as Zimmerman and/or Newman. I just don’t see Cal wanting Devin & Trey to leave, they have an incredibly high ceiling and unlike the twins would help themselves with another year at UK.

• kentuckyjoe
      11:57 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I think he wants them to leave too. I can’t explain it and I have no idea why. The only thing I can think of is that he really enjoys starting over. The twins, Devin, Trey, and Dakari should all return. They would benefit and obviously the team would benefit. But I think Cal wants them in the league next year and he wants to begin again.

• ukjaybrat
      12:10 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

kentuckyjoe ? enjoys starting over ? he complains every year about how he wish the nba rule were set to 2 years so he didn’t HAVE to reload every year….

exclaiming what you think another person is “thinking” when no one really knows is one thing…
      exclaiming what you think another person is “thinking” when he’s “exclaimed” the exact opposite is entirely different

• theSkinny81
      12:23 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

I guess kentuckyjoe didn’t see the quote, “but I hope they surprise me” Cal made?

3. KSR Spy
    11:49 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Well KentuckyJoe…let us do the math.

The Twin = 2

5 to 7 players gone.

7 – 2 (the twins) = 5

So it would still be accurate.

4. ukjaybrat
    11:56 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Take this for what you will… he also said they were going to Maryland 3 years ago

• ukjaybrat
      11:58 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

in addition. IMHO, i do not think the draft spot bump they will get by staying another year will account for the amount of money they will lose by not entering the draft this year. They will be doing their game a service but their wallet a disservice. So that is the real decision they need to make. Unless they are just that pissed they were that close to a championship two years in a row.

5. TSmithPage
    11:57 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

One thing Cal didn’t count on in the one-and-done era is players who could leave choosing not to go. It clearly threw him for a loop last season when WCS and the Harrisons returned and forced the formation of the platoon system, something Cal then swore he wouldn’t do again. If (big if) the Harrisons elect to return and Lyles and Booker oddly reject conventional wisdom as to their draft status, we will only be down 3 players from this years squad. Granted, Towns and WCS (much more than Dakari who I thnk should return) would be significant losses but I’d like our chances of a repeat of this season if that were to occur. Yeah, yeah, it’ll never happen but entertaining to contemplate, no?

• ukjaybrat
      12:05 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

next year’s team would not benefit from a week in the bahamas. There would be more of a need for chemistry building, I would think. we could very well lose to duke in the champion’s classic (unless they lose everyone and don’t recruit well… haven’t followed what they’re doing on that end.

6. Mc12
    11:57 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

What still throws me off is Briscoe choosing Kentucky and saying he’ll wait to sign to see who leaves, then suddenly shortly afterwards he signed.

What caused him to sign without knowing when he can assume Ulis was going to be here? Wouldn’t he wait to ensure he wasn’t one of 3 point guards or in a crowded backcourt. My guess is he either spoke to the Twins or someone close to them.

I’ve never thought that if one of the twins goes the other would stay, but crazier things have happened. Maybe Aaron returns. I’d be good with that, although unlikely.

• ukjaybrat
      12:06 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

maybe he just saw 40-0 on the horizon and pulled the trigger. which would suck for his minutes… but i totally see cal reneging on his “no more platoon” thing if we have 5 competent guards

7. HanOfTheBluegrass
    12:00 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

I wouldn’t be surprised if they came back, but Cal telling Tyler he’s going to build the team around him leads one to expect Andrew is gone.

8. JDawg
    12:01 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Personally, I would love to see those boys come back. Just because they had a bad game against Wisconsin, doesn’t justify me wanting them to leave. Those boys were absolutely brilliant in the second half of the season. In my opinion, they would be better than any other high school recruit we could get for next season. Also, I think they may have the potential to get better as players before entering the NBA. I would think that one of the strongest factors would be knowing that once they move on, it will be highly unlikely that they ever play together again. GO CATS!

• ukjaybrat
      12:07 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

yeah, they have a bad game against wisconsin… not even a bad game but a bad 2nd half… and everyone got all salty on them. last time i checked, they won the 38 games before that, right ?

• AP
      12:12 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

They didn’t have a bad game against Wisconsin. If it wasn’t for the twins, we would’ve been down 10+ at half time. They had a bad 5 minutes at the end of the game, and I think that in part is due to Cals pathetic attempt at stall ball. Stall ball should look like dribble drive, with the guards constantly swinging the ball around the perimeter with the bigs constantly switching sides and posting up down low and setting screens. Can’t let the defense stand around for 30 seconds at a time. The step back 3 from dekker would have been a much more difficult shot is he hadn’t got a 2 minute break on defense.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:22 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

To be fair, the twins were the best players in blue outside of Towns against Wisconsin. Willie was the disappointment for me in that game. Big guy has an effort problem. To be honest, think he head swelled up a bit at the end of the year with all the hype around him being All-American.

• symphonist41169
      12:26 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Agree 1000%. If Willie just hits his AVERAGES for the year KY wins the game. Were there bad calls by the refs? Absolutely, but those bad calls include not assessing Trey with a Flagrant 1. The refs didn’t beat KY, KENTUCKY beat Kentucky.

9. AP
    12:03 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

The Tyler Ulis text had some words added in there. The text said “I’m going to build a team. Get your guys and let’s do this again.” Didnt say build a team “around you”. I’m sure this was Cals response to Tyler telling him he had no interest in hearing about the NBA. If you think Cal doesn’t want the twins back you are delusional.

• TurnerTheBurner
      12:46 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

What he said. <- This was too short so I had to type more.

10. Actionhero
    12:12 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Good job with the hat tip comment tyler xD

11. UKFanBG
    12:49 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Twins did not do much to improve their draft status other than being in better physical shape. Unless they can work on attitude and consistency, they won’t improve much in college next year. I was getting worried in the tournaments because the number of assists dropped a lot in close games and the team was not near as fluid as when they were playing their best.

12. Saul T. Nuts
    2:05 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

If Aaron and Andrew come back, and they shoot 45%+ on three pointers, then their draft stock will skyrocket. They must show consistency on their jump shot (especially Aaron)…that’s all they need.

• ukjaybrat
      2:18 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

the one thing dickie v got right all year is that the platoon system did affect their shooting. but it helped (more-so?) their stamina and basket attacking ability. esp in late-game situations. But if they both come back that’d be a four guard lineup already with Ulis and briscoe (not to mention booker is still undecided