A Wild First Night of College Football’s Friday Morning Wakeup

@KyWildcatsTV

For about 97% of last night’s Tennessee/Appalachian State game, it looked like the Mountaineers were going to pull off the upset. Appalachian State came into Neyland Stadium and showed the world they weren’t intimidated by all the hype surrounding the #9 Vols, scoring on their second drive less than five minutes in. As the game ticked on, more people tuned in as App State not only held on to the lead, but looked like the much more dominant team. Even after Tennessee tied it up in the fourth, the Mountaineers had a chance to win, despite their kicker missing an extra point and a field goal. Unfortunately, Cinderella’s slipper fell off the foot and shattered when App State totally mismanaged the last few minutes of the game, letting the clock run out as they scrambled to get into field goal position, despite the fact they still had a timeout to use. Tennessee escaped in overtime, 20-13, a disappointing end to a thrilling start to the college football season.

In other scores, South Carolina won an ugly grudge match at Vanderbilt in a game that makes me feel better about Kentucky’s chances against both; Louisville looked terrifyingly good in a 70-14 win over Charlotte; and Western Kentucky beat Rice 46-14 despite tripping in the tunnel on the way to the field:

Meanwhile, we’re only 34.5 hours away from football time in the Bluegrass, so let’s get to it, shall we?

Brace yourselves for pregame coverage

Mark Stoops and staff are closing up shop until kickoff, so there won’t be a media availability today, but don’t worry; we’ll have plenty of material to get you ready for tomorrow’s game, including KyWildcatsTV’s hype video, which will drop at some point today. Here’s a sneak peek:

If that didn’t get you in the mood for tomorrow’s season opener vs. Southern Miss, this beautiful picture of the sunset over Commonwealth Stadium last night will:

@KyWildcatsTV

@KyWildcatsTV

If you haven’t made it your wallpaper yet, well, you can’t call yourself a Kentuckian.

Just kidding. Kind of.

The KSR staff season predictions will be released at noon

After much arm-twisting, I got the entire KSR staff to send in their predictions for the season. Check in at noon to see how we all think the season will go. Spoiler: no one’s picking us to beat Alabama.

So, Lamar Jackson looked really good last night

Louisville’s quarterback set a school record with 8 touchdowns and 405 offensive yards…BY HALFTIME. Sure, Charlotte is Charlotte, a team Kentucky beat 58-10 last season, but still, the Cards looked mighty impressive. Long way to go until November 26, but man, Jackson is good. And yes, I’ll admit this made me laugh:

Danville vs. Boyle is tonight

Tonight is a big night for high school football across the state, but if you ask me, no game is bigger than the Danville vs. Boyle County Titletown showdown. Led by senior QB Zach Dampier, Danville is legit this season, and this may be the Admirals’ best chance to knock off Boyle after losing seven of the last eight matchups. Go Ads! I’ll be there in spirit.

Other notable games:

• Trinity (2-0) vs. Lafayette (2-0)
  • St.Xavier (1-0) vs. Bowling Green (2-0)
  • Scott County (2-0) vs. Highlands (1-1)
  • Paintsville (2-0) vs. Pikeville (2-0)

Click here to read Eli Mitchell’s KSR Preps Preview from last night.

The trailer for “Mascots” looks awesome

Christopher Guest’s latest “mockumentary” comes out on Netflix on October 13. I’ve been a huge fan of Guest’s for years. I’ll never forget the first time my brother-in-law (then my sister’s boyfriend) showed me “This is Spinal Tap”; that started a love affair with Guest’s films, notably “Best in Show” and “Waiting for Guffman.” “A Mighty Wind” is good too, but “Mascots” looks flat out awesome. I can’t think of a better way to spend the night before Big Blue Madness than watching it with the fam in Kentucky.

Tonight’s college football schedule

Didn’t get enough last night? Here’s tonight’s slate:

• 7:00 PM: Furman at #12 Michigan State, Big Ten Network
  • 7:30 PM: Northwestern State at #23 Baylor
  • 9:00 PM: Kansas State at #8 Stanford, FS1

Got any Charleston recs?

My husband and I are taking off for Charleston bright and early tomorrow morning, and since there’s no better travel guide than the KSR comment section, we’d appreciate your recs on what to see, eat, and drink while we’re there. We’ll be in Charleston proper for a few days before moving out to Folly Beach. We’re taking our dog, Gatsby (the star of my SnapChat), so if you know of any dog-friendly places, please let us know. I’ve never been to the Lowcountry before, and I can’t wait.

Because I just can’t help myself, I’ll be live blogging the Southern Miss game with you guys from our rental in downtown Charleston tomorrow night; however, Drew and Nick will be manning the ship next week, and I know they’ll do a great job.

KSR in an hour

Get some work done now so you can pretend to work from ten to noon.

23 Comments for A Wild First Night of College Football’s Friday Morning Wakeup

1. Sticky Ceiling
    9:11 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Blog Template:
    College Recap
    HS Recap
    Netflix Recap
    Insert Humblebrag Here
    KSR In An Hour……………..

2. jcatron
    9:23 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

On Folly:

You got to go to the old lighthouse. To get there go to the far end of the island (if you are looking at the beach go left as far as you can). Once there it is a little walk but the views are great! It is like an old untouched beach with trees and rocks (great for photos). Saw a lot of people with there dogs last time I was there too.

Charleston:

I would suggest Justine’s Kitchen for supper one night. Good home cookin.

3. runningunnin.454
    9:26 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

You’re right, the picture was hilarious; Samuel L Jackson is a great actor….he should have won the Oscar for Pulp Fiction instead of John Travolta (although I like him, too)
    Hard to pick the game to watch last night, although I quickly switched to the Tenn game when the score was 7-3; I seldom cheer against the SEC; but, cinderella upsets are tough to resist.
    As for UL, I don’t like running up the score on outclassed opponents; very poor sportsmanship. I know we ran up 58 on them last year; but, I don’t recall trying to break records and setting up our QB to have a career night.

• Mathlete
      9:43 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

We ran the ball pretty much every play in the second half last year, they just flat out couldn’t block

• runningunnin.454
      9:56 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Sometimes it’s hard; you can’t tell the 2nd & 3rd string to go out there, but don’t play.
      However, B. Petrino is not known for class, is he?

• Rsn2GoBlu
      10:56 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

UL starters didn’t even play in the 2nd half. Saying a team or coach “ran up the score” in the 2nd quarter is just plain stupid talk. I would love for UK to be accused of running up the score on a team in the 2nd quarter.

• Billy Hill
      7:10 pm September 2, 2016 Permalink

Again, Rsn, you bring up/defend UL a lot.

4. aflynn
    9:32 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Best things in Charleston:

http://minerorestaurant.com/ – the best and freshest mexican (smoked wings are a signature app)
    http://therarebit.com/ – the best moscow mule you can ask for
    http://starsrestaurant.com/ – best rooftop bar
    http://leonsoystershop.com/ – the fried chicken will make you think KFC’s white pepper is a joke (the scalloped potatoes are bomb also! 100% a must if you are in Charleston!) also have great oysters and seafood.

UK alumni is watching the game at O’brion’s pub saturday (folly road, 5 miles from folly beach next to publix).

grab a beer at sunset at the barrel – http://www.thebarrelcharleston.com/

Kayak or paddle board on Shem creek
    Free to see – Angel oak tree (stop at low tide brewery on the way to or from).

shout for any extra specifics or tricks getting around! @MrFlynnstone

• aflynn
      11:52 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

almost forgot to mentioned BBQ…..

Lewis BBQ – great new place just outside downtown
      Hometeam BBQ – multiple locations, great wraps and wings (also great “gamechanger” aka pain killer frozen drinks)
      Swig and Swine – everything on the menu is great, probably best overall BBQ menu in town

all have great local craft beers and specialty cocktails.

when you pack up to drive back to ky, stop by Bagel Nation or Callie’s HLB (hot little biscuits) for some breakfast on the road.

Eater.com also has a great list for better references

5. lhopewell
    9:38 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Two things, Tyler…
    #1 You must have drinks at The Griffon on Vendue Range
    #2 On Folly, make sure you visit Surf Bar for painkillers. They make the world a better place.

6. Mathlete
    9:42 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Anyone else feeling pretty good about our chances against UT after watching that game last night? My only concern about that game after I watched it is UT’s run game getting loose on us, but Dobbs looked pretty mortal.

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

That was the quietest 100,000 people I’ve ever seen; “There’s a kind of hush all over the…stadium”.
      Did you know, UT canceled classes yesterday because of the game? Funny!

7. Sentient Third Eye
    9:50 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

It ain’t fancy, but if you just want great food and a relaxed atmosphere, go to the Hominy Grill. It’s kind of Charleston’s answer to Ramsey’s.

• aflynn
      10:07 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

ditto, great place, be prepared to wait 2 hours to get in (but its worth the wait)

8. Not Dan Issel
    9:58 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

If you can get a reservation, Husk is the place to eat in Charleston. And yes, Lamar Jackson had a fabulous first half. Louisville looked good. UK will have its hands full, for sure.

9. Howdy Doody
    10:09 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Lousyville is for real. Stoops has a LOT of work to do.

• Billy Hill
      10:32 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Because they put up 56 on a team we beat last with by putting up 58 … ????

10. UKCrewser
    10:28 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

TT, Hope the weather clears up for you…. You can go to Charleston 40 times and never hit all the places.

Charleston/Downtown:
    Fleet Landing. Semi-casual seafood on the Cooper River just off Market St.
    Roof Top at the Vendue Inn for a cocktail
    The Macintosh..Great food cocktails $$$
    “Fast and French” on Broadway. Small, great lunch spot after shopping lower King
    Husk/82 Queen/Upper King has a ton…
    Leon’s Oysters upper King Laid back Kinda hipster..
    Across the street, very local, The Recovery Room. Used to be rough late night. FUN..

Folly Beach:
    Bowen’s Island: fried steamed seafood on the river. VERY casual. getting popular. Sunset!
    Chico Feo. Off E. Ashley behind a house. Locals, usually guitars tri band. Awesome curry bowls
    Walk to he light house..sits in the middle of the inlet surrounded by water. great fishing..
    Go to the “rip off store” (Bert’s Market) “We may doze, but we never close”! for chili dogs,beer wine bait donuts Visine, sunscreen. next door to Chico’s and in front of ABC store..you can get you favorite Bourbon there….

Sullivan’s Island:
    If you go to check out Sullivan’s, go to Poe’s for a burger. Bill Murray’s neighborhood. Ft. Moultrie..

Go anywhere in Charleston and it will be awesome. Have fun!

11. Sentient Third Eye
    11:09 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

My favorite thing in Charleston has nothing to do with food. It’s the USS Yorktown on display down at Patriot’s Point. I get chills standing on the same flight deck that many of the B-25 bombers used in Doolittle’s Raid launched from.

12. abgunz
    11:26 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

Go to Ft. Sumter and Ft. Moultrie. Walk around downtown at night around the Battery. Walk around the old churches downtown, particularly Circular Church, to walk the old cemeteries and see gravestones from the late 1600s/early 1700s with cool skull and bone gravemarker artwork . A Google image search will show you what I mean.

13. fenwaypk13
    11:53 am September 2, 2016 Permalink

My first post ever to KSR, even though I read everyday. EVERY time I go to Charleston I go to Magnolia’s Get a reservation, but not terribly expensive. Great soups and the Fried Chicken is great.

14. cav3
    12:39 pm September 2, 2016 Permalink

Charleston Beer Works at 480 King Street. Great sports bar with tons of t.v.’s and over 40 beers on tap. And I’m one of the owners, so you’d be helping a UK fan out. Agree on Hominy Grill (the chicken biscuit with gravy). Check out the bar at Husk (awesome bourbon selection) and if you can spend money on a good steak dinner hit Hall’s Chop House. Enjoy. Charleston is a great town.

15. crothscott
    5:56 pm September 2, 2016 Permalink

Won best fried chicken in Charleston last 2 years in a row.