A new Bracketology? Already? (Yes, a new Bracketology. Already.)

Joey Brackets just can’t quit.

ESPN’s famed Bracketologist is already forecasting the 2020 NCAA Tournament… in July of 2019. “Christmas in July,” he called it on Twitter. I call it absurd, but I am also going to share it and promote it because it is July and nothing else is going on and because Big Blue Nation will really like his current projection.

So where does Lunardi have Kentucky in the tournament as of today? The No. 1 seed in the West Region, playing out in Los Angeles. The Cats will get Rider and the Penn State/Georgetown winner in the first weekend under Lunardi’s current bracket, followed by a probable run-in with Texas Tech, a rematch of the Big 12/SEC Challenge game, in the Sweet 16.

The West’s No. 2 seed that stands in the way of the Final Four?

Louisville.

Michigan State, Duke and Kansas are the other No. 1 seeds, which just so happens to be the other three teams in the Champions Classic to start the season.

[ESPN Bracketology]

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for A new Bracketology? Already? (Yes, a new Bracketology. Already.)

1. tiffincatfan79
    1:37 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

And based on the best teams playing closest to home, wouldn’t we be the 4th 1 seed?

2. ClutchCargo
    1:45 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Goofy, but I’ll take that bracket.

3. mashburnfan1
    1:48 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Some of that UK being the 4th one seed may be based on how weak the SEC is. Even these worthless projections are showing a weak SEC. Has UK 1 and UF 2 but next highest seed is a 7 so basically they feel only two top 25 teams in the Conf. Plus this idiot has 12 teams playing in Cleveland, I want to listen to his predictions at no time but especially 3 months before a season even begins.

• nocode96
      2:09 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m going to keep a running tab of every time mashburn writes something in a basketball list that does not shlt on Cal or the program. What’s the over/under on how many times this happens before the first game? 2? 3?….

• runningunnin.454
      2:09 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Yep, it’s nonsense in July. Only things he usually gets right is UK and UL and probably another Ky team in the same bracket; that and UNCheat and Dook playing opening rounds 50 miles from their campuses.

• runningunnin.454
      2:14 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Damn, I didn’t go down far enough; Lunardi has four Ky teams in the same bracket. The ncaa will love that $hit.

• 4everUKblue
      3:02 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

You know I never read mashbum’s comments anymore, he’s way too predictable, the one thing you can bank on is he will NEVER say anything positive when it comes to UK basketball.

• J-Dub421
      3:04 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

The SEC is the second toughest basketball conference now.

• catsarerunnin
      4:24 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Bashburn is a twit. I love saying that even in July.

4. sincitycat
    2:00 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Yawn

5. mashman 93
    2:01 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

I will take that bracket all day.

6. UKinMKY
    2:19 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Kansas will not be a 1 seed.

7. catsfan25
    3:03 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

I do not believe Duke will end up a 1 seed either. That is unless the NCAA cheats for them again. They still have a good roster but it does not seem as impressive as their rosters have the last several years. But I agree with runningunnin.454, they will still somehow end up playing close to home no matter their seed

• ClutchCargo
      3:20 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

“…unless the NCAA cheats for them again.”

^ That is why they will be a 1 seed.

8. BLUEVADER
    4:04 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

This isn’t going to happen I am going to say MICH ST and DUKE will be over rated. I’ll call MICH at a 4 and Duke will be a 2 cause ACC bias but in reality should be a 4 as well. Duke will lose 8 games this year and Bilas and company will be crying they deserve a 1 with 8-9 losses. You wait and see. They will claim most of their losses came from top ACC teams ON ROAD IE… UV, UL, UNC, etc… Saying the ACC road losses shouldn’t hurt DUKES #1 seed etc . It’s going to be a barf party listening to that shit in late February early March. Hell I bet they do not win conference Tournament either and will be crying DUKE should be a 1 seed. They will be trying to hand 3 1 seeds to ACC again. WE need to come out of the gates and prove we are the dominate team in the sport this year. Going undefeated before conference play. I say we can do it if we can beat MSU. only L that looks the hardest to me before conference is TEXAS TECH. I haven’t looked at schedule not sure if it’s before conference play or not. If it’s not we beat MSU we are 10, 11 and 0 give or take before the SEC. we beat MSU and go into SEC undefeated being a front runner for one of the #1 seeds Hopefully in South or Midwest.

• UKinMKY
      4:37 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Michigan state will be at least a 2 on the back of Cassius Winston and their other guard coming back from injury, but agreed on everything else you said.

9. catsfan25
    4:51 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t believe Michigan State is overrated and they probably will be a 1 seed bc of Michigan being down and Purdue losing Carsen Edwards, but I do not believe Kansas will end up with a 1 seed because just like Duke, their roster is just not as impressive this year as it usually is.

10. CrystalBall