A Look Back At Kevin Knox’s Season

Kevin Knox had a pretty outstanding freshman year at Kentucky. He led the Wildcats in scoring at 15.5 points per game, the eight-best PPG output of the Calipari era, amongst some great company:

Rk Player Class Season Pos G FG FGA PPG

5.4

9.7

15.1

Julius Randle FR 2013-14 F

4.9

9.8

Knox also ranks eighth in total points by a freshman in school history (576); ninth in three-pointers made by a freshman (57); and 13th in rebounds by a freshman (200).

In the best game of his season, his career-high 34 points in the comeback win at West Virginia tied the school scoring record by a freshman on the road.

In the end, he walks away with a cabinet full of trophies and accolades from his one year as a Wildcat:

AP All-American Honorable Mention
SEC Co-Freshman of the Year
All-SEC First Team
All-SEC Freshman Team
SEC All-Tournament Team
SEC Tournament Champion
SEC Freshman of the Week (Jan. 29)
Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week (Jan. 30)
Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Week (Jan. 30)
Citizen Naismith National Player of the Week (Jan. 30)

Reminisce on his season in this highlights montage:

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for A Look Back At Kevin Knox’s Season

1. christopherharrison26
    5:09 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Hard to celebrate this soon after the disappointing decision.

I realize that fans were not always in his corner and we were lucky to have him for a year. But his father’s statements and the long wait were a bit cruel to the fans. KSR kept telling us he was going NBA but we had hoped for him to stay. Another gut punch in a year that just missed being great.

I also realize he and his family don’t ever need UK fans again as he moves forward in his career. But it seems that it would have been better to wait until after the final decision to make statements like his father released about being torn on the decision. The way it played out, It turned out to be a big tease of maybe coming back and taking so long to decide took some of the bloom off the rose of his career – at least for now.

Next man up!

2. Ridge Runner
    5:09 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

He had moments but (for our team) just not enough of them…

3. Bull Filmer
    5:45 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

He’s going to be so good; lots of unrealized potential this year due to youth. No worries. Kid is gonna be awesome. Glad he was a CAT!

4. katfan33
    6:37 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Good luck to him and I really hope he succeeds but I just don’t see it for at least 5 years.

5. trumpetguy
    6:43 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Hope I’m wrong, but my gut tells me neither of these guys will be drafted as high as some current projections….much later than the lottery. Good luck to both of them. Enjoyed you as part of BBN.

6. Smyrna_Cat
    6:51 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Randle only scored 1.5 a game?? Seemed like more.

• Smyrna_Cat
      6:52 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

15 sounds better.

7. mikeintn
    7:55 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Kevin who?

• 4everUKblue
      10:48 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Idiot!

• 4everUKblue
      8:28 am April 8, 2018 Permalink

Mike you are not even smart enough to rank as an idiot, retard I think. Stay in TN and watch the Vols.

8. wyatts1
    7:58 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Tyler and Jones both had a second season at UK, and was crucial to the record breaking seasons that they both shared. I’m sorry but it’s hard for me to get behind the one and done especially at UK. Don’t get me wrong it’s not Cal’s rules it is the nbas rule, and I know in order to be competitive the best way ATM in college ball is getting the elite talent and rolling the dice. Knox is a great kid and I’m sure will have a great NBA career but for me to consider someone great at UK then they will have to wear that jersey for at least 2 seasons.
    Either way I bleed BLUE, and stand with my team no matter the situation!!

9. bigbluehank
    10:55 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Who could forget the time he finally decided to dive for a loose ball because it was tournament time!

• 4everUKblue
      10:57 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Remember that time you finally decided to post a positive comment just to try something different? Neither do I!

• henderblue
      11:42 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Good one 4everUKblue ^^

10. Rick_S
    11:35 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Don’t care about Knox..He doesn’t play for UK

• TonyMontana
      11:51 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

This is Kentucky. Big Blue Nation supports its players forever and former players support UK forever. This is huge in recruitment and shows our love for them and their love for the University and our Coach. No other School is even close to us in regards to how our former players support us. And just because they only stay a year or 2, it doesn’t matter. They come in as boys and leave as young men and we’re there to watch them grow, cheer their accomplishments and support them through their struggles.

Would you rather that we no longer recruit 5* players? Maybe we should only go after 2* and 3* players? Look, I get it. It would be great to have guys stick around for 3-4 years! But we go after the best and often times that means they will be gone after 1 season. But… when you have an opportunity to live your dream… its like winning the lottery and its hard to say no to.

• Well said Tony. Wall, Boogie, Davis, etc. all attest that La Familia is strong.

• Jiminy Crickets
      10:26 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

That kool-aid is good isn’t it? Must be there’s a lot of people still drinking it. Knox seems like a great kid, what I’m saying is not his fault.
      UK fans have been brainwashed to think it’s really cool to have a new roster every year, flooded with kids that are only here because they are required to play one year and our coach embraces it. We get to brag about NBA all stars like wall and cousins, and forget that team had 5 guys on it that are still on NBA rosters and couldn’t make the final four, much less win it.
      We celebrate June draft day and say if we don’t recruit OAD then we should recruit 2-3star guys, as if there is no middle ground.
      Having this elite talent gives us a “chance” every year, and that’s really all anyone can ask for, no one truly expects NC every year, heck getting one every 10 years would be incredible. But don’t expect us to belove guys from a team that lost double digits games, needed Missouri to beat Arkansas to finish 4th in SEC. then lose to a bad KState team missing their best player, and celebrate they are leaving.

• henderblue
      10:37 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Nice run of negativity there Crickets. True to your form. I’m sure you’ll have a crappy weekend.

• 4everUKblue
      10:53 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

With people like Crickets, Rick S and BB Henry “Hank” why would any player want to stay here if they read some of these comments? All this negativity helps NOTHING! You want to complain about everything Cal and the players do and don’t do, who we didn’t get, who we did get. Why would any 18 or 18 yr old kid want to come to this program if they read your comments? There is not one of you who wouldn’t have taken the money instead of coming back to school!

11. Rick_S
    1:19 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

I don’t blame Knox for going.Heck id take the money too…I will no longer care what he does or follow him in the NBA.Although I hope he does great…..I’m a UK fan .I want another title

12. ukwildcat1991
    3:57 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

No offense to Kevin and the decision but this decision does not effect any of our lives, only his. Move on and bring on the next kid who will fill his shoes. I’m not losing any sleep over this.

13. N-UR-i
    6:47 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

I only care about the name on the front of the jersey nowdays. I don’t have the same interest and loyalty to the players like I used to. Not around long enough to get more attached. Don’t really care where they go from here or celebrate them individually.

• Mark D
      10:01 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Get off my Lawn!

• Kernel Sanders
      10:11 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

I kind of agree with this, but it’s mostly because I just don’t like the NBA. I wish all our former players well, but you are correct that they are not around long enough to to get used to. A few years ago I was kind of bummed when some of our Freshmen left after one year. Now, it’s just meh….who’s coming in next? I don’t blame Knox or any player for leaving for the $$, but I do admit it makes me jealous of Villanova fans that get to watch successful seasons, FF runs AND see their players progress and grow over multiple seasons.

14. BPatte
    8:46 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

I’m not sure he is going to be tough enough to play in the league. Wishing him the best!

• T-wah
      9:21 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

I felt the same way about Tayshaun Prince, but he carved out a pretty nice career for himself. Just goes to show that we never really know how things will turn out. If the kid works hard enough, he has the potential to be a good pro player. Good luck to him. Glad he chose us for his year.

• henderblue
      10:19 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Good comparison there T-wah. He will have no choice but to get tougher in the NBA. As his body matures and he gains 20 lbs of muscle,I believe he has all the tools to be an outstanding pro. And I’ll be pulling for him to do well. Once a Cat, always a Cat

15. One thing I want to say in fairness to Knox: some are saying his dad was lying because the decision was already made, and they cite that the video was prerecorded (before he went home to FL).

It obviously was, but it’s also possible that he recorded 2 versions with the intent on releasing whichever one reflected his decision. Just a thought.

16. mikeintn
    11:04 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

4everUKblue, Idiot, Idiot..

• 4everUKblue
      8:27 am April 8, 2018 Permalink

mikeintn totall fuktard, below idiot, probably explains why you’re in TN

17. sp
    12:47 pm April 7, 2018 Permalink

I hope our fans can be content with never winning another title. We got one in 2012 with a once in a generation player and guys that were good enough to be pros but returned to UK. Until Cal stops pushing guys out the door to the NBA or convincing them to transfer so he can go get another five star recruit to notch his belt, we won’t ever win it again. Unless he can get the next Anthony Davis to not go to Duke that is. Roy Williams and Jay Wright have the formula to win in the NCAA and it’s not one and done.