8 (Somewhat) Bold SEC Tournament Predictions

SEC-0596

Another SEC Tournament is upon us, and before I make the two-mile trek to Bridgestone Arena, I wanted to go on record with some predictions, both for the on-the-court happenings and the off-the-court shenanigans, because at SEC Tournament, it’s always an equal mix.

1. I will watch maybe 5 minutes of actual basketball tonight

The tournament starts tonight with LSU/Mississippi State (7 p.m. ET), followed by Missouri/Auburn (9 p.m. ET). With both Johnny Jones and Kim Anderson done and gone, boring basketball just got even more boring. At least Bruce Pearl will be there to liven things up a bit, but for the most part, any attempts at watching the games will likely result in my eyes glazing over and my mind wandering to other things, like, whether or not Bruce Pearl is still bitter about the stuff at Tennessee or if he’s moved on, or, how to make Avery Johnson my new best friend. Most likely, I’ll be trying to figure out how to convince Lonny Demaree to come do a podcast with us about movies, because that’s the coverage the people really want, right?

2. Georgia will beat Tennessee and Yante Maten will play vs. Kentucky

Early word out of Nashville today was that Georgia star Yante Maten has been cleared to play in the Bulldogs’ game vs. Tennessee tomorrow. Maten sprained his knee when Isaiah Briscoe fell on him during UK’s game at Georgia a few weeks ago, but he will give it a go to attempt to prolong the Bulldogs’ season. Barring a setback, I think Georgia beats Tennessee tomorrow afternoon and Maten finds a way to go vs. the Cats on Friday…even though we should be way more worried about JJ Frazier.

3. We will get (at least) one insane game from Malik Monk

Monk’s coming off his worst game of the year at Texas A&M, where he scored only six points. Yesterday, he gave us all a swaggy quote to rally around when he told reporters that his bad game is bad news for Kentucky’s future opponents because he and the team will be ready from the jump on Friday. I predict Monk will have at least one crazy 35+ point game this weekend, possibly to save Kentucky from upset.

KSR-7811

4. Ashley Judd will make an appearance

Ashley’s been laying low since her war on Chick-Fil-A over the Fowl Shots at Rupp Arena and her famous poetry slam/rap performance at the Women’s March in January. Now that the Cats are in her city, will Ashley be able to stay away? I doubt it.

5. Saturday night will get messy (literally)

The latest forecasts suggest either lots of cold rain, a mix of cold rain and snow, or potentially 2-4″ of snow in Nashville late Saturday night into Sunday morning. As someone who’s lived here the past ten years, I can tell you that few cities fall apart like Nashville when it comes to snow, so let’s hope for a cold rain. Regardless, mixing 20,000+ fans with a long day of drinking and a major weather event is going to make Broadway a big ole mess Saturday night. Wear your rain boots and embrace it, especially if it snows, because that happens once in a blue moon here.

6. Ryan Lemond will get on stage more than once with JD Shelburne

Ryan famously stole the mic from JD Shelburne and sang “Achy Breaky Heart” during last year’s SEC Tournament, and with a bevy of opportunities ahead of him this year, I can almost guarantee that will happen again. Add in the fact that Amanda isn’t making the trip this year and I have a feeling Sunday morning SEC Tournament hungover Ryan could rival Vegas hungover Ryan from a few years back.

7. Someone will complain to me about leaving Demos’ off my flowchart

If I’ve learned anything since posting my updated Nashville eat/drink flowcharts last night, it’s that Demos’ has a very loyal following. I revamped the restaurant flowchart this year and didn’t include the popular downtown restaurant, which has proven to be the most controversial omission by far. Look, don’t get me wrong; if you’re in the mood for spaghetti, steaks, or, for some reason, nachos at affordable prices, Demos’ is great…but, I wouldn’t include it with the best of the best in Nashville, especially at the rate this city’s food scene is growing. Somehow, I don’t think me leaving them off the chart will hurt business.

8. The KSR GoPro will make an appearance

Nowadays, iPhones/smartphones are way easier to use than actual cameras, but the KSR GoPro has given us some fun videos over the years, especially when we strap it to Nick Roush’s head and make him walk around downtown with it. Hopefully, we’ll do the same thing on Friday, so if you see Nick with the GoPro on, do something silly so we can share it with the masses. Just watching last year’s video gets me pumped for the next four days:

Now, let the games begin.

22 Comments for 8 (Somewhat) Bold SEC Tournament Predictions

1. Blue Beard
    5:43 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Bold prediction: The Bang This Twins wearing Make America Great Again hats….boom

2. CatBlue in LR
    5:45 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

I thought Moses Kingsley was preseason POY?

3. nicky
    5:52 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

The GoPro made me nauseous! 🙂

4. UKPROF
    6:42 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Don’t even want to be in the same state (TN) as Ashley Judd, let alone the same building. That woman is NUTS. Any chance we can get her to switch her allegiance and start cheering for DUKE of UofL? MOST of the wonderful UK fans no longer appreciate her support.

5. The Frizz
    6:58 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ashley Judd was giving a poetry slam/rap performance? Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was watching someone have a stroke while experiencing the onset of dementia during a Tourette’s outburst. Thanks.

6. rockyou
    7:03 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ashley Judd is waaaaay out there, she needs to start rooting for UC-Berkley !! I can’t stand this far left liberal.

7. BigBlueMeade
    7:20 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Hottake, LSU will win two games in the tourney

8. GroundControlToNumber9
    7:23 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ashley needs a daddy to spank that a s s h o l e closed.

Hangin’ open a bit too much for sustainable living.

9. Cousins Fake Tooth
    7:26 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Hope so. Shes an embarrassment.

10. nashvillecatsfan
    7:40 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

totally agree with leaving demos off. I ate there so many times with coworkers and never saw what the big deal is. It isn’t bad, but there are definitely many superior options in the area. Forgot to mention earlier that Monell’s shouldn’t be left off any list of Nashville dining. Unhealthy southern cuisine at its best and best in the original Germantown location.

• catsarerunnin
      7:52 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Love Demo’s. Great food at great prices.

• Saul T. Nuts
      11:20 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

I agree 100% with nashvillecatsfan…Demos is ok, but there is much, much better within a few blocks.

• catsarerunnin
      8:13 am March 9, 2017 Permalink

I don’t want to go a few blocks.

11. GroundControlToNumber9
    7:55 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Pat Bradley should quit snorting coke. It’s going to make him crazy like Ashley Judd… oh wait too late.

12. Cals Hoverboard
    7:56 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ashley made her choice to throw her hat into the socio-political ring and now faces the criticism of doing that. While I agree with her right to voice her opinions, I also have a right to form my own opinion of her and her significance to my beloved basketball team. She’s always going to have the spotlight because of her celebrity, so her “opinions” and political views will always carry more weight than the vast majority of the fanbase. Kentucky is just not a liberal state and the fanbase probably mirrors that. Personally, I think she needs to lay low for a little longer, the longer the better.

• Wildcatette
      1:27 am March 9, 2017 Permalink

There are plenty of liberal and anti-Trump folks from Kentucky and in Kentucky. We are just as entitled to represent the state and support the team and express our opinions (no quotation marks because why seriously?)

13. keiths
    7:58 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ashley Judd is a Strong,Educated, Successful Woman! Scares all of these redneck, toothless hicks to death!

• catsarerunnin
      8:25 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Yeah I jest skeered to deff of dat edgecatted gurl. Gots to gets me sum of dat left wang stuffs prett near soon so I’s can proteest me sumthin.

14. tfordstyle
    8:14 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

says the guy who randomly capitalizes words

15. CVL123
    8:25 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ashley definitely needs to be jettisoned from BBN. A psycho,wack job, liberal moron. Embarrassed that she’s a Kentucky fan.

Keiths- dumbest comment in KSR history by you on this one.

16. TrueBluePhil
    8:38 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

I vote to leave Ashley at home. We don’t need her as a fan so she can go f**k herself.