7 Observations from Behind the Scenes at the Calipari Fantasy Camp/Alumni Game

IMG_7734

Have you ever had a weekend in which so much happened you needed an entire day to sort it all out? That was this weekend — and today — for me. From Friday afternoon until late last night, it was non-stop Kentucky sports, shifting from John Calipari’s Hall of Fame induction to the Calipari Fantasy Camp to the South Carolina game and finally, the Alumni Game last night.

I spent the weekend in Lexington to cover the camp, so allow me a brief break from football mania to share my thoughts.

The John Calipari Fantasy Camp should be on every UK fan’s bucket list

This is the fourth year of the John Calipari Fantasy Camp and my third year covering it, but I don’t think I’ll ever get over walking into the Joe Craft Center or Rupp Arena and seeing the current Cats and a half a dozen NBA Cats just hanging around. The entire atmosphere is surreal. The Cats mingle with the campers all weekend long, tearing down the wall between fan and player. The current players are all assigned a team to work on as an assistant/water boy/cheerleader, and believe me, they get into it, playfully trash talking with each other over whose team will win. From kids who are basically worshipped from November ’til April, that’s pretty cool to see.

Props to Matt Chacksfield and the entire ProCamps staff for their hard work. It’s a first-class event, and if you have the means, it should be on your bucket list. One of my friends did it this year with his father, who participated as a coach, and I can only imagine how cool the experience must have been for them. Again, not cheap, but worth every penny.

COufK3tWIAAM16k

The new guys were a little starstruck

In what has become a tradition, the new guys faced off against some of the pros in town on Saturday. I’m not allowed to say much about this, nor was I allowed to take pictures or video, but I can give you some general impressions. First, and this extends to off the court as well, I’m still learning who the new guys are. Of course, I’ve researched them as recruits and seen their YouTube mixtapes a million times, but without that jarringly terrible music as a background, it kind of takes a minute to recognize them. (It doesn’t help matters that Mychal Mulder and Jamal Murray have pretty much the same hairline and facial hair.) This was a pretty mysterious recruiting class, so I focused on getting a feel for their games as opposed the pros, whom I know pretty well.

First off, Skal is really skinny; like Anthony-Davis-when-he-came-to-UK skinny. But, like Anthony, Skal has big shoulders, and over time in the weight room, he could fill in like Anthony, who looks like a monster these days. Interestingly, it was DeMarcus Cousins who took Skal under his wing during the game, going head-to-head against him and after each dunk or post move, pulling him aside to talk through it. Skal didn’t back down, and got the better of DeMarcus one time, causing the room to break out in a chorus of “ooooohs.” Boogie being Boogie, he smiled, shook his head, and owned him on the next play, but still. Skal ain’t scared.

Other observations: Jamal Murray is just as good as advertised; Charles Matthews is REALLY athletic and will surprise some people; and Mychal Mulder is quicker than you’d think, but looked a little star struck. Actually, most of the new guys did, but can you blame them? Many of them, like Mulder and Isaac Humphries, were plucked from near obscurity, and one of their first acts as UK basketball players was facing off against some of the best pros in the league. I’d be a little rattled too.

IMG_7689

There’s now a hierarchy with the pros

It really speaks to the success of the John Calipari Era that there are so many pros that there’s now a hierarchy during these reunion weekends. DeMarcus Cousins presides over the festivities like the big brother or uncle whose blessing you have to earn to be admitted to the club. Anthony Davis is the star of the family, but still pretty shy off the court (especially compared to Boogie). Karl is the younger brother, testing the waters of hanging out with the older guys and getting batted back on occasion. (Karl being Karl, he never gives up.) He’s also the first to comfort the younger players if they get owned by one of the older guys, helping them up and telling them not to hang their heads. We throw around “La Familia” all the time, but it really does apply now, especially when players like Bledsoe bring their own kids on the court with them. Speaking of…

IMG_7669

Watching Anthony Davis interact with kids was awesome

He may be the future of the NBA, but on Sunday morning, Anthony Davis was just a coach helping some kids play basketball. Anthony is pretty reserved off the court, so watching him get into the Cats Legends Fantasy Camp was a treat. He was really into the games, even complaining to the refs on occasion. Enjoy for yourself:

Want to be your kid’s hero for life? Send him to that camp. There were only seven or eight players per squad, so they got plenty of hands-on instruction and interaction from Davis, Cousins, and Towns.

The Alumni Game has become The DeMarcus Cousins Show

…which makes it must-see TV. Honestly, like most exhibitions, the game dragged by at times, but DeMarcus did his best to liven it up, whether it be jacking up threes or taking over coaching duties from Anthony Davis. I took an empty seat behind the bench during the second half and listening to DeMarcus was awesome. I wish they had mic’d him up for the telecast. When he was coaching, he’d take one of the “rookies” (2015 draft class) out, make them sit in the chair next to him, and say “You played a hell of a game. Now get back in there!” and make them check back in. He did this with Devin, Karl, and Andrew, the latter of which laughed and protested when Boogie beckoned him. There’s a distinct pecking order among the pros, and even though Anthony may be the star, DeMarcus is at the top.

IMG_7725

This kid stole the spotlight

When I got home last night, the first question my nephews asked me was “Who was that kid with the headband on the bench?” Nothing about the pros or the game itself, but the kid with the headband. That kid is Marques Amir McConnell, DeMarcus Cousins’ godson. (Fun fact: “Amir” is also DeMarcus’ middle name.) No offense, Boogie, but Marques was the star of the bench in the second half, sitting next to the guys and taking about a million pictures with someone’s cell phone. He can’t be more than five, but when he was on the court before the game and during halftime, he showed Rupp Arena he can already shoot the lights out. He’s so popular he even started his own Instagram account this morning. Here are some of his pics from the court last night:

A photo posted by Marques Amir (@marquesamir15) on

A photo posted by Marques Amir (@marquesamir15) on

Something tells me we’ll hear more from him in about ten years.

Calipari has never seemed happier

To say John Calipari had a big weekend is the understatement of the century. Cal was enshrined into the Hall of Fame Friday night and came back after the festivities to host the Fantasy Camp, getting out onto the court and actively coaching the campers as though it were the Final Four. He must have been running on fumes, but if not for the Dunkin’ Donuts cup constantly by his side, you’d never know it.

Over Cal’s tenure, we’ve seen a gamut of emotions from him: swaggy, salty, exhilarated and exhausted. Six years and a new hip later, Cal has aged considerably, but on Sunday night, he came into Rupp happy, tan, and relaxed. Surrounded by his former players for yet another night, he was giddy, sitting back and watching the festivities unfold. In fact, he’s never seemed happier.

Recently, there’s been a lot of talk about Cal retiring at Kentucky, with Cal himself telling the media he’s considering coaching into his 70’s (he’s 56 now). All you have to do is look at him to see how much this job can wear on you, but Cal seemed reinvigorated last night. He’s been validated by his peers, he’s got a new team with a whole new dynamic, and he’s plugging right along on that mission to get as many players to the pros as possible. Six years in, he’s well on his way to a legacy, and from the looks of it, he’s not going anywhere any time soon.

22 Comments for 7 Observations from Behind the Scenes at the Calipari Fantasy Camp/Alumni Game

1. CharlestonCAT
    8:17 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

Great read Mrs. TT. Really enjoyed it.

2. BenHur
    8:17 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

I have been thinking that same last point. Cal does seem like the happiest man in the world right now.

3. rick
    8:18 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

OHhhh don’t sound good Tyler..I remember in 2012 that UK played the pros well and i think even won some of the games….Are we overrated

• Wow
      8:49 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

^^ Anyone care to translate this gibberish? ^^

4. Nashville Cat Mama
    9:00 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

Good post, Mrs. TT. Great perspective in writing and pictures. Thanks!

5. Jus sayin
    9:06 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

In all the updates about the new guys we don’t hear much about Briscoe. I wonder how he is doing.

• Brian
      9:10 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

He may end up being a great multi-year guard. Aww, shucks… 🙁

6. Angelo
    9:22 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

Fantastic Tyler!!

7. Whaley Tales
    10:25 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

Being huge UK fans, we flew out from California with our daughter and grandson to experience this camp. It was Peyton’s favorite camp ever. He won the 3 pt. shoothing contest and received one of KAT’s sized 18 shoes signed by Karl Anthony Towns, Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins. He was so excited and worried about damaging it that he took it back to the hotel and locked it in the safe. By far his favorite trophy ever. He was lucky enough to be coached by all 3 of them in different games. Loved hanging out in their locker room, and had his pictures taken with just about all the old and new players. Well worth the money.

• SCCat
      1:22 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Really glad you guys had such a great experience and it is a unique and wonderful thing that UK and John Calipari make this happen. Wins all around! GBB.

Great post Whaley.

8. Somervillain
    11:46 pm September 14, 2015 Permalink

I wouldn’t worry that the pros handed it to them. Our roster of pros is a
    bit better now than it was in 2012. Including the studs who won some back then.
    We’re good.
    Excellent read, Mrs. Tyler.

9. David
    2:19 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

you can tell by his players genuine love for him that honesty and personality can be a potent combination when convincing players on the recruiting trail to come to UK…add to the fact that every one of the kids he’s had at UK (even one who never played for him) have been great PEOPLE as well as great players…great ambassadors for UK and the state of Kentucky, good people without the garbage that sometimes creeps into the lives of super-star level athletes. His charges go to class, respect and appreciate their peers, play and study hard, and that all starts with Calipari…not only a great recruiter and coach, but a genuine motivational genius without a personal agenda–just an agenda to have his players become successful men and in wanting them to succeed, worrying less about himself and putting his players first…and within the context of major college athletics that is a trait seldom seen…and yet one that young people truly sense and appreciate…as if we didn’t know it before, the derision and libelous poison pen attacks on his character are pure jealousy…UK has him, those other schools (and their jealous fans) don’t and if I had my say, they never will. Here’s to coach lasting into the 2030’s…just wish my dad were alive to see the last 6 years (he passed 9 days after Billy Clyde’s only NCAA appearance)…and the next 20…appreciate now what we have as UK fans, for I doubt we shall see his like again

10. BBNBIGTIME
    2:20 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

I actually think Cal looks pretty good for 56! The guy has a full head of hair and probably fewer wrinkles than most guys his age.

11. DBones
    8:42 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

But don’t you all think that Matt Elam is like the weirdest looking guy

• Reality
      10:36 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

0-2, bitch! Hahahaha!

12. Fantasy basketball
    9:20 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Hello!
    NBA Player Tracking statistics provides a whole new dimension for stat lovers to delve in. According to the official website, “Player Tracking is the latest example of how technology and statistics are changing the way we understand the game of basketball.Minor Surprises in the NBA Player Tracking Stats.

13. wildcat whisperer
    11:01 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Random team photo thought: shouldn’t Marcus be standing in the back, and Tyler seated in a chair?

#symmetry

14. The Real LindaS
    11:38 am September 15, 2015 Permalink

Cal was having too much fun at the Alumni Game….I hope he gets back into serious mode when the season starts…just kidding, I hope he has fun during the season too. It’s good to see a relaxed coach who really likes his team.
    I would love to go to the fantasy camp but I’m the wrong sex and don’t have that kind of money he takes to go. It is not cheap.
    I’m still waiting for the Ladies camp announcement….nothing yet.

15. excellent
    12:19 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

Great read! Thank you for this one.

16. spookykim
    1:43 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

Love the behind the scenes observations! This was a fun event with a great group of guys! Cal mentioned maybe doing it next year in North Carolina — wonder how many fans wearing the better-colored blue will get in! Would love to see the pictures that the girl contestant was snapping after she quickly ditched the contest — that was priceless!

17. Catheaven
    3:31 pm September 15, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for the article, Tyler! Always love the insider info. That’s what makes KSR special. So glad the game nationally televised. All the guys looked to be having a great time. I miss Boogie! He’s such a cutup and so much fun.

To the Calipari haters . . . imagine the imoge with tongue sticking out. John certainly deserved the HOF. I remember the day I spent on the computer watching “the door”. Excited, scared he wouldn’t walk through it, exhausted at the end of the day. It’s been an incredible six years. And I believe Calipari has the character to continue what he’s doing and stay for the long haul (unlike other coaches we’ve had). I worship the man and get into arguments with those who have said negative things about him. I’ve won and have converted a few, or shut them up. I, too, wish my father could have seen these last six years. He would have loved John Calipari.

18. Cuba
    2:16 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

That was Marques’ phone lol he loved that he got to see DeMarcus n the rest of the guys (few of them already knew him) . He plays at the KBA in a 6 n 7yr old league and he rocks his godfathers number 15 in the back n his USA number 12 in the front lol. He just loves basketball because of DMC n his older brother