6 Predictions Heading In To SEC Play

willie-hair

I can’t be the only one in the dumps about no basketball game this weekend – thank goodness for Matt Elam’s ability to keep things interesting.  With a few more days before the start of SEC season, we have a pretty good picture for what the league might look like.  But not a clear enough one to bet the house on, so instead let’s make some potentially reckless predictions – based mostly in reality.

1.)  By the end of the season, Andrew Harrison will have worked his way back in to the lottery discussion.  We have seen this with every Cal point guard save John Wall – it takes a while to learn to lead a team on the college level.  Brandon Knight missed a lot of clutch shots in the regular season before putting it together in time for the final four run, Teague looked lost a majority of the season, and neither had the tools that Andrew appears to have.  He’s already looking better,

2.)  Dominique Hawkins will be the teams MVP.  He won’t have the most minutes, points, assists or really any on court statistic.  But he very well may have the most impact on the team throughout the year.  We have already seen how his energy affects his team mates, and Cal has mentioned a number of times that he wants to get everyone working as hard as Hawkins.  Hawkins may not show up on the stat sheet, but he is clearly Cal’s example for hard work.  This team will dominate if they take on Hawkins attitude.

3.)  By the SEC tournament, a one seed will be in play for Kentucky.  It will be far from locked up, but with the Big Tenners beating each other up (Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin), the ACC having one wildcard team (UNC) and two good teams (Duke and Syracuse), and the Big 12 being littered with teams between Kentucky and a top 4 spot (OK State, Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State) Kentucky has a pretty easy road to a one seed.  Louisville and Florida will be our only marquee wins, but assuming we can avoid any embarrassing losses, the Wildcats will control their destiny.

4.) Kentucky will sweep Florida.  Originally I wasn’t as sold on this one, I thought there was a chance they would split.  But with the first game coming halfway through Feb – and at Rupp – Kentucky will be gelling enough to tackle the Gators.  And by the time they get to the final regular season game, Kentucky will be firing on all cylinders.  I would be surprised if UK sweeps the SEC – too many road games, potential for foul trouble and Marshall Henderson’s – but their losses won’t come against the Gators.

5.) WCS will have more hair colors than Louisville will top 25 wins.  If you count the original, the streak, the blonde, that’s three already.  Louisville only has 4 more chances to beat a ranked team in the regular season (Memphis twice, UConn twice).  So unless someone else steps up in that conference, this meaningless yet funny stat will probably hold true.

5B.) Kentucky will have more twins on their roster than IU will have top 25 wins.

6.) By the end of the year, Calipari will have more national respect than ever before… but he won’t win SEC CotY.  This team has already made huge strides, and the early losses showed national observers that sometimes it’s not as easy as just ‘rolling the balls out’ for even the most talented of teams.  The narrative on Cal is already shifting – people are finally beginning to realize how hard it is to have an entirely new team every year and still compete on the highest levels.  If Kentucky reaches its potential, the non-biased will finally start giving Cal his due for being a great coach as well as a great recruiter.  But for some reason Kevin Stallings will win SEC CotY once again.

Add your predictions below!

Article written by Will Lentz

38 Comments for 6 Predictions Heading In To SEC Play

1. ukfan
    8:44 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think we will lose again the rest of the season, I’m serious as a heart attack.

2. Obvious
    8:54 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I never thought I’d see the day where Kentucky had a gay guy on the team.

• Teddy Bongwater
      9:11 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

What does it matter if he is or isn’t?

• Reality
      9:11 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I hate to invade your closed minded world, but I would guess that Kentucky has had several gay guys on their team in the past. Law of probability.

• Teachable Mo'
      10:52 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I’d hoped that UK’s fan base would be past caring about — or even noting — such things.

• Just wondering
      12:07 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Who do you think is gay?

• Willis
      10:40 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

It’s wcs…

• Mark
      12:58 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Have you ever been 20 years old? Just because someone does something different with their hair does not make them gay. Maybe Obvious should come out of the closet.

3. The Cat
    9:11 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

UM. Baby AEpps (Hawkins) will not be the MVP. Trust me. If you knew anything, you would argue that WCS would be MVP. There’s no question. His minutes on the floor along with AP will be the difference makers in SEC play.

• Chicken
      10:45 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I guess everybody forgot UK has a kid named Julius Randle that plays there. I heard he’s pretty good…..

4. Jane
    9:18 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Somebody is totally clueless. You revealed your knowledge when you said Brandon Knight missed a lot of clutch shots. Then I was curious enough to actually read all the rest. Go Big Blue!!!!! But Will,..what can I say? You’ve embarrassed the whole human race.

• Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
      9:30 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Knight hit some huge shots in the NCAA, but he struggled a little before that. UK lost six SEC road games that year, three of them by 2 points and one by 1 in OT. I don’t recall offhand how many clutch shots Knight missed in those games, but it was more than a couple.

• Jane
      10:52 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

>>>I don’t recall offhand how many clutch shots Knight missed in those games, but it was more than a couple.

Say what? Did you actually say you don’t recall the exact number of clutch shots he missed, but it was more than a couple?? If so, then I’m not sure that you haven’t out dumbassed Will with that one. Maybe you should go back and watch the entire season and make sure Brandon missed more than two clutch shots all year long before you make those kinds of emphatic statements. How pitiful!

• Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
      1:28 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

I’m worried that our online relationship might be becoming abusive, Jane. You do all the name-calling, and I do all the looking stuff up. This might have to be our last exchange.

Here UK’s SEC losses in 2011, with Knight’s performance at the end of each game described.

Jan 8, 2011 UK 70 Georgia 77

At the 0:53 mark, Brandon Knight missed 3 pointer with Kentucky down 9.

Jan 18, 2011 UK 66 Alabama 68

Brandon Knight commited two turnovers in last minute.

Feb 1, 2011 UK 69 Ole Miss 71

Brandon Knight’s last field goal attempt came at the 3:50 mark, when he missed a layup.

Feb 5, 2011 UK 68 Florida 70

Brandon Knight missed a 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Feb 12, 2011 UK 77 Vanderbilt 81

Brandon Knight hit his one shot in the last four minutes in this game, a 3 pointer.

Feb 23, 1011 UK 76 Arkansas 77 (OT)

Brandon Knight turned the ball over with 19 seconds to go and a one point lead in overtime. Arkansas scored to go up one. Knight then missed a jumper at 7 seconds, rebounded, and missed another jumper at four seconds. After a timeout, Knight then missed a three-pointer at the buzzer.

I loved Knight, but not only did he miss more than a couple clutch shots that season, he missed three in seven seconds just at the end of overtime against Arkansas.

You owe Mr. Lentz an apology.

5. ?
    9:22 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

If you think Hawkins is MVP then you obviously are delusional and have no clue what it means. Yes Coach Cal wants players to work as hard as he does, but the obvious MVP Nominees are Andrew, WCS and Randle. You sir are dumb if you think Hawkins is MVP.

• Steve
      7:03 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Hawkins as the team MVP??? Hawkins’ role is to play defense and he does a fairly good job against the quicker point guards. But to say he is the team MVP is just plain stupid!

6. Obvious
    9:29 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Ha Teddy… funny how you didn’t question who I was talking about. I guess know too?

7. eddie vedder
    9:49 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Exactly what tools does Andrew Harrison possess that neither Knight nor Teague possessed? Seriously, I can’t think of one thing he does better than either of them even at this point. Maybe a better outside shooter than Teague, not sure if the numbers would bare that out though.

• lonnieb
      9:53 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Harrison much better skill set than teague…..I do agree with you that he is not comparable to knight in any way shape or form. Harrison is a much better NBA prospect than either b/c of his size. Teague will never be an nba stater and only got draftd b/c @ uk on a title team. If he played at Vandy or wherever he would not have even got looks as a freshman

8. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    10:01 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

13-3 in the SEC, 25-6 regular season overall, SEC tournament championship, #2 seed, Elite Eight. I hope they do a little better than that, but that’s my pick.

9. eddie vedder
    10:04 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

He’s too slow to guard NBA point guards in my opinion. Can you imagine him trying to defend Westbrook, Rondo, or J Wall? Good discussion though….

• lonnieb
      10:10 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I agree….but you literally picked the 3 most athletic PG’s in the NBA. He needs to work on his footwork. He could learn how to use his size as an advantage…not to mention if you think about most of the really fast PG’s outside of westbrook cant shoot from deep at all and he could sag a bit on D….wall and rondo are 2 of the worst shooters outside of 15 in the league for any position.

• eddie vedder
      10:29 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

You’re right, I did pick a three of the freakiest guards in the league. Probably too soon to make judgements on his pro potential right now anyway.

10. Bigblue
    10:39 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Who’s the gay player?

11. bmt22033
    11:12 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

I disagree that Andrew Harrison will be a lottery pick. Dante Exum and Marcus Smart will both certainly go before him and Jahii Carson probably will, too. I think he might be able to work his way into the first round (possibly) but not the lottery. And there’s no way this team gets a #1 seed now. Not enough opportunities for “quality” wins left at this point. Florida aside, it’s unfortunate that the SEC is not a particularly strong basketball conference. Our best opportunities for wins over quality opponents are pretty much all over and we went 1-3. A lot of good teams would basically need to self destruct between now and March for this team to be in consideration for a #1 seed. I think a 2 seed is probably the absolute best case and a 3 or 4 seed is the more likely scenario.

12. Reality
    2:23 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Yea, dream on. I have zero doubt you were screaming 40-0 pre-season also. You dumb, prepubesent teens are the last one’s I want to hear anything about basketball from. You’re clueless. You don’t know your *** from a hole in the ground. Just shut up on predictions and do statistics or anything that doesn’t involve your opinion.

• PhilUK18
      9:21 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Awww, somebody seems upset. Is it because Chawley is leaving Jefferson County Community College for a real school and team. Cheer up, little buddy. I’m sure your Cards can get their 13th or 14th choice to replace him

13. Next
    2:48 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Goofy Caulie Stein totally lost me with the imbecilic hairdo. Coming off a huge, disappointing loss and this is his reaction? He’s a child. Good luck in the NBA with that mentality. Take Poy-spine-less with you. Two soft, scared boys.

• Mark
      1:05 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Alex has had some really good game lately and WCS has done as good as Noel all season. Either of them could have gone last year. Look at Archie. I like both of them but, I would say they will be gone after this year.

14. FurdTurgason
    7:51 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

I predict the dead rising from the grave. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

15. Ace man
    8:02 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

My prediction is this: John Calipari to the Knicks in May.

I think we need a definitive statement from him that he is not taking that job.

• Mark
      1:07 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I heard him address this and he sounded more like retirement would come after Kentucky. Peace!

16. Ace man
    8:07 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

The Knicks have yet to hire anybody.

17. juststopit
    10:03 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

“You, sir, are …” is not the height of reasoned discourse. Try harder.

18. Willis
    10:43 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

This post is BS – and pointless…

19. kybigblue
    10:52 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Don’t forget UF will have a top 10 recruit joining the team. UF should come into the conference health which has been a problem for them. At least UK has a better chance of sweeping UF than Hawkins being the MVP.

20. the yo
    11:54 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

will lentz is retarded

21. Megan
    1:05 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Spot the missing apostrophe and the improper one:

“This team will dominate if they take on Hawkins attitude.”

“I would be surprised if UK sweeps the SEC — too many road games, potential for foul trouble and Marshall Henderson’s.”

Honestly, this is middle school stuff. The best sentence, however, goes to Mr. Cassady:

“With that Cats bringing in a top 15 class it wouldn’t take long to mark the final game each season as an likely win.”

That’s a beauty, eh?