5 years ago today… John Wall Picks UK

Image Via KSRcollege

Not all summers are created equal and the summer of 2009 was one for the ages. UK got a start on the break a bit early thanks to a trip to the NIT with Billy Clyde but once Cal was named coach business picked up instantly. It was a whirlwind of breaking news almost daily and the high point had to be the commitment of John Wall. Wall sealed the deal on arguably the best class this school has ever seen and helped make them one of the most beloved teams ever.

It all happened during the wee hours of May 19th, exactly five years ago. After weeks of wondering Big Blue Nation was awoken with the best news of all. The best player in the country was coming to Lexington.Kentucky was back.

Our own Matt Jones had this to say celebrating the commitment:

I like to play devil’s advocate and attempt to look at things rationally and against the normal view held by others. Not this time. We are about to head on a historic run in which Kentucky WILL dominate basketball once again. Read that last sentence…process it and get it down into your pores. The era of Kentucky going to the NIT and making our head hurt is over….the Cats are back and for the next ten years, we will be Top 5 every year for the decade. Period.

John Wall’s commitment certainly means that we will be a national championship contender next year. With the talent UK has coming back and the new players, only Kansas and Michigan State are really in the Cats’ ballpark. But the Wall commitment and the events of the last eight weeks have importance beyond next year. Calipari has shown that he will get the best of the best and will be the FORCE in college basketball for the next decade. Gone are the days of below average recruits, reaches for kids still going through puberty or late Spring signing periods with seasons hanging on the balance. Beginning are stacked classes of kids who have five star talent and a desire to come and play for the best. Simply put Kentucky will be Kentucky and everyone else just has to accept that fact

Matt’s words have proven to be true with Cal leading the team to 3 final fours, a national championship, and countless unbelievable moments. John Wall was the player that got the success train rolling and things could have been very different had he picked Duke five years ago.

Do you remember where you were when John Wall picked the Cats?

[http://kentuckysportsradio.com/2009/05/19/]

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

14 Comments for 5 years ago today… John Wall Picks UK

1. Cats Chris
    9:42 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I don’t remember where I was exactly, but I do know I was clicking refresh on this site until I learned he was coming to UK! It’s been an awesome ride with KSR so far!

2. Wa11
    9:46 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Lets be honest….John Wall was too cool to go to Duke anyway lol

3. CardFan502
    9:50 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

best playa money could buy . lol

• Bonnie
      11:49 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

SHUT UP card fan! I like to play cards too, what’s your favorite game? I like to play cribbage have you ever heard of it?? It’s a pretty fun game what’s your favorite game? TROLL PATROL ??

4. STOOPS TROOPS
    9:55 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I was all depressed after reading an article about him signing. The I realized Not Jerry Tipton was not real three years later

5. Chad
    10:12 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I was in college, sleeping off a late night of drinking when my phone rang. My buddy said, “are you sitting down? john wall just committed!!!” I instantly woke up my girlfriend (at the time), and told her to get naked. The rest is history….UK was great once again, the girlfriend ended up being crazy, but we brought John Wall in while I got it in.

• Tear drop
      4:15 am May 20, 2014 Permalink

This is a truly touching comment.

6. kybb
    11:54 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Was on a break for standardized testing during my Junior year of high school. Checked Aaron’s UK Basketball Blog on my phone and saw that we got him. Then I bragged to my friend (WVU fan) that we just got the #1 player in the country.

7. Tha Blonde Bomber
    12:02 am May 20, 2014 Permalink

the WVU fan got tha last laugh though

• kybb
      12:04 am May 20, 2014 Permalink

Not in 2011 though 8)

8. Jalen Smith
    3:02 am May 20, 2014 Permalink

Pretty sure dUKe was on our level that year. They won the championship lol.

9. Bdmnky81
    6:37 am May 20, 2014 Permalink

Pretty sure Duke had the championship handed to them that year with the weakest regional of the modern era. And a lucky WV and an over achieving Butler didn’t help the cupcake walk to the championship.

10. Kdub
    12:08 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Duke suck!!!

11. Kdub
    12:10 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

The cats never have a walk thro schedule!!! NEVER! SO ALL YALL OTHER FOOLS CANT SHUT IT UNTILL YALL GET TO OUr LEVEL!!! Aahahahahhaha GO CATS!!!