5 Life Events That Are Perfectly Acceptable To Skip For A Kentucky Game

On this morning’s radio show, Matt and the guys raised an interesting topic: is it acceptable to skip a wedding for a Kentucky game? If you’re reading this website, you probably answered “yes” with no hesitation; however, weddings during football and basketball season are a touchy subject for couples across the Bluegrass. More than once, I’ve had to decline invitations to weddings because of Kentucky games, but as someone who covers them for a living, I’ve got a pretty easy out; for fans, it can be a much more delicate matter. So, in hopes of easing scheduling snafus across the state, I came up with this guide for which events are acceptable to skip in favor of a Kentucky game and which are not.

For sake of argument, let’s assume that the Kentucky game in question is a pretty important one, like Louisville, not a cupcake, and you’ve got a ticket to it. For some of you diehards, it may even mean just watching it.

Friend’s wedding: ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

Unless: You’re in it; you’re a family member

Now, this will probably make me enemy number one of brides across the Bluegrass, but if you want to make things easy on your guests, schedule your wedding in April (but never the first weekend), May, June, July, or August. Fall weddings are beautiful, but problematic, so if you absolutely must get married amongst the falling leaves, schedule on a cupcake or bye weekend (although you may run into issues with the rehearsal dinner and Big Blue Madness). If you don’t, either have the game available somewhere on a TV at the reception, or just expect some people not to show up, especially during March.

As outlined above, there are a few exceptions to this rule: you can’t skip if you’re in the wedding or the bride or groom is a family member. There’s a little wiggle room if they’re a second/third cousin or niece or nephew you’ve only seen a few times, but your family will probably be pissed and it might not be worth the drama. If you’re an extremely close friend of the bride or groom, you’re probably going to be involved in the wedding, but if you’re not, this could be your revenge. (Kidding. Sort of.)

Graduations: ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

Unless: It’s your graduation; it’s your kid’s graduation

To me, graduations are a colossal waste of time, and it seems like for kids these days, there are about ten of them. Because most take place in the spring, they don’t conflict with football or basketball games very often, but December graduations certainly do, and unless it’s your graduation or your kid’s graduation, you’re probably safe to skip it.

Birthday parties: ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

My only “unless” here would have been if it were your kid’s birthday party, but come on, if you’re reading this article, you’re not dumb enough to schedule that during a UK basketball or football game. In fact, you’re probably making your kid’s year by taking him or her to an actual UK game as their present. Well done.

As far as other birthday parties go, fulfilling your duty as a Kentucky fan to cheer on the Cats trumps your friend’s kid’s sixth birthday at Monkey Joe’s or your work buddy’s birthday happy hour. If you don’t have a ticket and the party in question centers around the game or has a designated area where you can watch it and get loud, by all means, party on. Otherwise, you’re just going to be checking your phone the whole time, which will probably get you in more trouble than skipping the party to go the game in the first place.

Kid’s sporting event: ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

Odds are your kid has five million soccer/softball/baseball/peewee football games during the year. You can miss one to cheer on the Cats.

Family Reunion: ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

So your family rented a chalet in Gatlinburg for the weekend or is gathering at grandma’s house for a Saturday cookout. Hopefully, because they’re related to you, they’re also Kentucky fans and understand the importance of cheering on the Cats in person and will give you a pass. If not, then they probably won’t be cool with you watching the game at the house either, or checking the score on your phone, so just skip it.

Kid’s parent/teacher conference: DEPENDS

This is totally dependent on circumstance. If it’s a parents’ night at the school or a routine parent/teacher conference, I’d say do your best to reschedule. If it’s an actual issue that warrants calling an emergency meeting, then you gotta go be there for your kid, and double the punishment for whatever they did to have them make up for you missing the game.

A funeral: NOT ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

If it’s a family member or close friend, don’t even consider it. And definitely don’t try to use the excuse, “It’s what [insert name of deceased person] would have wanted.” That will get you smacked.

Your child’s birth: NOT ACCEPTABLE TO SKIP

Are you kidding me? Never acceptable to skip that. Also, they have televisions in hospitals.

31 Comments for 5 Life Events That Are Perfectly Acceptable To Skip For A Kentucky Game

1. Booby Petrino
    8:12 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

I skipped my brother’s wedding for the UK/Louisville basketball game and I don’t need your judgement for it ☺️ he was marrying a Hoosier, who wants to see that anyway.

• BBNDan7
      7:27 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

He deserved it then lol

• ClutchCargo
      9:37 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

I also married a Hoosier. She has since reformed and become a UK fan, so maybe there is hope for your SIL..

2. Bigblueswami
    8:12 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

If you’re female… I guess all births would not be acceptable… but if you’re male and you made it to the first one… any after are the same thing. Seen one birth you’ve seen then all… but a UK game… is one of the miracles of life

• 3Goggles
      8:20 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

We had the ’12 championship reruns on in the delivery room. We also made sure she wouldn’t give birth during any major UK sports season. My wife is a very patient woman.

• KYcats11
      2:45 pm June 14, 2017 Permalink

Okay…

3. The Original WTF Guy
    8:13 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

Gosh, thanks so much. Maybe you could put these on small cards so we can print them and carry them in our wallets/pocketbooks so we will never have an issue when these events come up.

• true2blue
      9:05 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

Would love to have those in my wallet. Then I would just hand them out instead of having to explain myself. Lol

4. KYcats11
    8:57 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

Parent teacher conferences, I think you could skip no matter what.

5. true2blue
    9:04 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

Gotta let my wife read this since we were married on a football Saturday! Good thing it was a cupcake game as you call them. But then again the football program is getting so much hype I’d have to say ALL GAMES ARE IMPORTANT NOW!

• CPACAT
      10:14 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

I was married on a UK Football Saturday, however back then, we were the cupcake…so it didn’t matter. I’m not going to dwell on the negative, but suffice to say UK v. Florida, 1995.

• manOwar
      12:20 pm June 14, 2017 Permalink

Hey CPACAT, I too was married on a UK football Saturday…and UK also played Florida on that day…it was in 2010 and the final score was: Fla 48 – UK 14 …. a total arse whoopin’…The game was on during our post-reception party with our closest friends (after all the blue hairs and non-party’ers had left, lol). Good thing we had plenty of champagne and beer because UK’s effort that day was nothing short of atrocious.

6. Kernel Sanders
    10:06 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

Kids’ sporting events? Never missed them except a couple of mandatory work commitments. You can’t ever get a do over. What if your kid hits the game winning homer or a 3 point game winner at the buzzer and you weren’t there? Nope, I’d dvr the UK game. And I do pretty much plan my life around UK fb and bb schedules. If you don’t have kids, you may not get it. If you aren’t like me with grown kids and wish you could go back and watch ’em play again, you probably don’t get it either.

• KYcats11
      11:07 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

I agree 100%

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:17 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

And besides, with WatchESPN, you can still catch the game while pretending to support your kid. He’ll never know the difference.

• satcheluk
      9:32 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. I go to all my son’s practices-even coach his soccer team, as he will only grow up once. I’ve been to UK/basketball games all over the country, but my immediate family comes first.

If it doesn’t pertain to my wife or kid, then I’m fine skipping it or not depending upon the importance of the game and whether I have tix or just watching on TV. I haven’t watched a 100% live game since DVR came out, so what’s the difference between a 30 minute delay (which I normally do) or a 4 hour delay after the event?

• ClutchCargo
      9:40 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Couldn’t have said it any better, Kernel Sanders. The kid stuff is at the top of my list of things not to miss.

7. BigBlueBass
    11:30 pm June 13, 2017 Permalink

Who the…. takes marriage or getting married advice from jones?!?!! Dang cult follow much????

8. 2thepoint
    12:50 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Thanks Tyler, I had a good chuckle with the post. Fits me well too, ha! I agree wholeheartedly especially with the burial thing, especially if the one in the casket is supposed to me me!

9. kenny
    8:08 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

My oldest was born Easter 2005, Kentucky was playing Michigan st in the elite 8. I was listening to the game at the hospital.

10. Sentient Third Eye
    8:14 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Anyone who would schedule a wedding opposite a UK game can’t be much of a friend anyway. Why reward them for a flagrant attack on BBN?

11. Sentient Third Eye
    8:16 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

I remember the old news item from maybe a few decades ago about an elderly woman who had a heart attack during a game, but she wouldn’t let the EMTs take her to the hospital until the game was secure.

Now THAT’S a true fan.

12. TJY
    9:28 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

The best advice I can give anyone…don’t miss your kids’ games. Sure they have a ton of games throughout their career but the closer to the end it gets…the more you will wish for more. I love UK, I go to multiple games every year and watch the rest on TV but I wouldn’t miss my children’s games to attend one. Be a good parent first and a good fan second. DVR is your friend.

• satcheluk
      9:33 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Indeed!

• ClutchCargo
      9:46 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Yep.

13. gokycats33
    10:40 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

I have a friend that is a BIG time UT fan. She planned her wedding on a football Saturday, which was an away game for UT. This just happened to be the UT vs UK game, and the year that UK beat UT. With me being a UK fan, I had tickets to the game. Since I am really good friends with them, I passed on the game and went to the wedding. During the wedding, I was following the game on my Blackberry, since I had internet for work. I was keeping everyone around me up to date on the score. Then at the reception, I completely disappeared, because I was able to find a TV. I remember coming back into the reception and yelling because UK had won. Everyone thought I was telling them a lie, since they weren’t able to follow the game. That is one time I wish I had just skipped the wedding.

14. sincitycat
    11:06 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

Only reason to miss a Wildcat game: You are dead.

15. NKBlue
    11:09 am June 14, 2017 Permalink

My daughter was born 12/19/92, a Saturday. the Cats were playing Morehead that evening. I watched the game from the delivery room…best of both worlds.

16. Duff86
    12:06 pm June 14, 2017 Permalink

All this new KSR website advertising sucks ass. Can’t get the pop-ups to go away. Really annoying.

17. jzoneblue
    3:22 pm June 14, 2017 Permalink

i choose to not skip life. i can always DVR the game.