38 percent of coaches voted for this team over Kentucky

To tip off CBS Sports’ annual Candid Coaches series, Gary Parrish asked over 100 coaches who will be the best team in college basketball this year; considering all of the buzz in recent weeks, the answer might surprise you. Kansas came in first with 38 percent of the vote, followed by Kentucky at 18 percent and Duke at 15 percent.

TEAM VOTING
Kansas 38 percent
Kentucky 18 percent
Duke 15 percent
Gonzaga 11 percent
Tennessee 9 percent
Virginia 5 percent
Nevada 2 percent
Villanova 2 percent

One coach said this (anonymously) of the Cats.

“I just got a chance to watch Kentucky [play exhibitions in the Bahamas]. It looks like their talent-level is off the charts. And I think the world of [John Calipari] as as basketball coach. I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves. He gains notoriety in a lot of ways. But nobody talks about him as a top-level tactician.”

Parrish believes Kansas and Kentucky are the safe picks over Duke right now thanks to — wait for it — experience, a rarity for the Cats in the Calipari era.

“Needless to say, the Wildcats have another stellar freshman class filled with five-star recruits. But the key, I think, is the likelihood that three of their top six players will be non-freshmen who have already averaged more than 9.0 points per game at the high-major level — among them Stanford transfer Reid Travis. The last time John Calipari had that — again, three non-freshmen on his roster who have already averaged more than 9.0 points per game at the high-major level — was in the 2011-12 season. The result was a national title.”

Let’s hope history repeats itself.

[CBS Sports]

[mobile_ad]

18 Comments for 38 percent of coaches voted for this team over Kentucky

1. jr_hopkins
    2:05 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

click-bait title 🙁

2. maximumscott
    2:09 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

I seriously dont see Kansas being as good as advertised. They lost the only thing they have been good for. Guard play. They lost 3 starting guards last year. Newman, Graham, Mychuluk.

• Ez21
      6:43 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

Mychuluk was not a guard. He played the 4 sometimes even the 5 if Azubuike was in foul trouble.

3. Bluebloodtoo
    2:44 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

I’m fine with Kentucky not being #1 . How many of the last 5 seasons have we started out as #1 only to immediately fall? Seems more appropriate to me.

4. UKLugo
    3:01 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

My preseason top 5 would be
    1. Kansas
    2. Kentucky
    3. Gonzaga
    4. Duke
    5. Tennessee

5. A_Blue_Wildcat
    3:16 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

Everyone keeps hyping up Tennessee and I keep saying that they can’t be much better than they were last year. Yes they brought everyone back from last year, but it’s not like they were inexperienced or had much to improve upon. They still have the same main issues, lack of high level talent and lack of size. You can only get so far with good team play with slightly above average talent. When was the last time a team was a legit top 5 team all year long without any top 50 recruits on their team.

6. Sentient Third Eye
    4:16 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

Kansas probably is better than Kentucky or Duke on day one. Not as much youth to work in at key positions. But by the end of the year, it will just be a typical Kansas team. Win the Big 12, lose in the Sweet 16.

This year will be the story of two games between UK and Duke. One to start the season, and one to determine the national champion.

7. terwilliger
    6:28 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

Honest question… who does Kansas have? Like… someone please list their starting 5, and 3 bench players. I know Azubuike and Vick but who else?

• Ez21
      6:45 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

The twins that transferred from Memphis are supposed to be really good. Other than that I really don’t know either.

• Ez21
      7:04 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

Actually I forgot about the Grimes kid that’s a frosh. He’s really good too.

8. BigBlueToo
    6:53 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

Everybody hates Dook.

9. Cincy Cayt
    10:34 pm August 20, 2018 Permalink

So many great teams on paper for next season. It’ll be fun as long as we get ours. I’m not getting my hopes up on #9 but a trip back to the Final Four would be fantastic.

10. RealCatsFan
    7:50 am August 21, 2018 Permalink

So didn’t the 2015 team return at least 3 players that averaged 9 points or more? Without going back to check 2014 stats, seems like it would have.

• wyatts1
      6:48 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

38-1 is nothing to sneeze at either. Sec champs, should’ve could’ve been national champs easily also if the ball bounced a little differently. Either way we will have a special type of team again this year.